View Poll Results: Do you think water boarding is torture?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    114 77.55%
  • No

    33 22.45%
Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 564

Thread: Do you think water boarding is torture?[W:453]

  1. #161
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    One thing you need to consider when it comes to "enhanced interrogation techniques" is we are not interrogating little billy that stole a pack of gum. Some of these guys we have been tracking for years and have file cabinets full of information about them. We know who they are, what they have done, and what levels of access they had. What we don't know are specific details.

    Its not like being blindfolded and trying to hit a bullseye with darts. We have accesses to databases and real time information collection to cross reference any information we see and verify its accuracy.
    The point is that our country should not be torturing anyone regardless of what we know about them. Seriously if we know so much why do we need to torture them? All that you have done is made an excuse for why our country would engage in activity that would be expected by Cuba, China, North Korea, Iran, etc. But not from the US since we are the good guys.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    It simply means to put down one side for such a thing, while supporting the other side which does the same thing, is the mt. everest of hypocrisy.
    Which is what we've been doing. Those who supported Bush's policy of torture excused us while putting others down. Calling you on your hypocrisy is what we've been doing.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    And now we're back to this question, what does it's effectiveness have to do with anything? If you oppose waterboarding on moral grounds, presumably it could be the most effective thing in the world and you'd all still oppose it? Right?
    You can oppose something for more than one reason. The number one reason is that it is immoral. Number two, illegal. And number three, not very effective. Three reasons is ususally a fairly good number.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    It can be and has been effective. Even the Obama administration has had to admit that.
    Can be? Low bar there. Measured against other methods it has been shown to be less effective. This should be considered.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    One thing you need to consider when it comes to "enhanced interrogation techniques" is we are not interrogating little billy that stole a pack of gum. Some of these guys we have been tracking for years and have file cabinets full of information about them. We know who they are, what they have done, and what levels of access they had. What we don't know are specific details.

    Its not like being blindfolded and trying to hit a bullseye with darts. We have accesses to databases and real time information collection to cross reference any information we see and verify its accuracy.
    Of course that depends on you actually having the right person with actual information. That taxi driver we killed wasn't it. The fellow from Canada with the wrong name wasn't either. And al Libi simply didn't have the information, but gave us inaccurate information that we used, hooray now that was a success. What can you show that is as verifiable as those?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #166
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    There's nothing to think about. Waterboarding is by definition a form of torture. Can't imagine why anyone would vote no.
    On this board and in the world, we have both the sensitive and insensitive. Liberals and Conservatives...
    Funny in that many (the Arabs, in particular) have a fear of drowning......I do as well...is this not "normal" ??
    Of course "waterboarding is torture. But many of us think this is OK....and far too many are not civilized...yet....this takes time....

  7. #167
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Someone knows me well. What kind of porn? I'm now intrigued here . . .
    hmmm....let's see. i'm thinking you toss the softcore crap, you like to go straight for the real nasty hardcore stuff. I'm thinking interracial gangbang.

    I can also see you doing some dominatrixing. Mistress Spiker. I can totally picture you in some black leather thigh-highs and a corsett, holding a whip, and talking in a thick fake russian accent "You have been a VERY naughty boy!"

  8. #168
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Of course that depends on you actually having the right person with actual information. That taxi driver we killed wasn't it. The fellow from Canada with the wrong name wasn't either. And al Libi simply didn't have the information, but gave us inaccurate information that we used, hooray now that was a success. What can you show that is as verifiable as those?

    Getting bad information is better than getting no information at all.

  9. #169
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    hmmm....let's see. i'm thinking you toss the softcore crap, you like to go straight for the real nasty hardcore stuff. I'm thinking interracial gangbang.

    I can also see you doing some dominatrixing. Mistress Spiker. I can totally picture you in some black leather thigh-highs and a corsett, holding a whip, and talking in a thick fake russian accent "You have been a VERY naughty boy!"
    Hmm . . . almost. gangbangs are softcore, red and black are my preferred colors, and no fake accent.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #170
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    If we are completely morally ok with our own soldiers and other personnel being tortured, then we should torture. If not, then we should not. To me it is a simple question.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •