View Poll Results: Do you think water boarding is torture?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    114 77.55%
  • No

    33 22.45%
Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 564

Thread: Do you think water boarding is torture?[W:453]

  1. #141
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Indeed: it was only used a few number of times (that we know of, anyway) - did it save the world? Why are some so hellbent on making it allowable? We don't do it now - are we suffering for that lack? Just what tragic events have happened - what lives have been lost - because we stopped? We use many - MANY - other forms of interrogation and none of them are contested or raise near as much concern. Are those not satisfactory and useful in lieu of?

    Obviously it's a non-necessity seeing as how we've done without extensive use of it.

    Obviously arguments supporting it are thinner than skin - and useless.
    I still have a feeling we just turn these people over to other countries to do our torture for us. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't think so.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #142
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'm not sure I believe using a relatively harmless techinique (although I'm sure it doesn't feel harmless) to gain information that could potentially prevent terrorism or that could lead us to someone like Bin Laden is immoral.
    No evidence that it ever has, but where's your line? What will you not cross?

    BTW, if it was harmless, there would be no chance of it working. Just something to think about.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I still have a feeling we just turn these people over to other countries to do our torture for us. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't think so.
    You may be right. I hope not. But I think you're like right.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #144
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I still have a feeling we just turn these people over to other countries to do our torture for us. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't think so.
    We probably do - whic hI strongly oppose.

    My American Arrogance Upbringing instilled values in me that we're above such efforts and we're superior to the whims of brutality and cruelty that our enemies would bestow upon us in turn.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #145
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'm not sure I believe using a relatively harmless techinique (although I'm sure it doesn't feel harmless) to gain information that could potentially prevent terrorism or that could lead us to someone like Bin Laden is immoral.
    You said you would be tolerant of a whole lot more. Where do you draw the line?

    As a side note, EIT are less effective than standard interrogation techniques.
    Exclusive: Senate probe finds little evidence of effective torture | Reuters
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/30/wa...gate.html?_r=1
    http://66.35.36.177:21980/LegalDev/N...y...Morgan.pdf
    Testimony
    And many more.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You said you would be tolerant of a whole lot more. Where do you draw the line?

    As a side note, EIT are less effective than standard interrogation techniques.
    Exclusive: Senate probe finds little evidence of effective torture | Reuters
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/30/wa...gate.html?_r=1
    http://66.35.36.177:21980/LegalDev/N...y...Morgan.pdf
    Testimony
    And many more.
    Which is why I've never understood the fantical support for something largely illegal, immoral and less effective.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #147
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    The majority of the country disagrees that we showed restraint?
    No the majority of the country disagree with your statement here:

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    If waterboarding is worst of what we did then I'd say we did show restraint.

    ..............
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #148
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No evidence that it ever has, but where's your line? What will you not cross?

    BTW, if it was harmless, there would be no chance of it working. Just something to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Indeed: it was only used a few number of times (that we know of, anyway) - did it save the world? Why are some so hellbent on making it allowable? We don't do it now - are we suffering for that lack? Just what tragic events have happened - what lives have been lost - because we stopped? We use many - MANY - other forms of interrogation and none of them are contested or raise near as much concern. Are those not satisfactory and useful in lieu of?

    Obviously it's a non-necessity seeing as how we've done without extensive use of it.

    Obviously arguments supporting it are thinner than skin - and useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    We probably do - whic hI strongly oppose.

    My American Arrogance Upbringing instilled values in me that we're above such efforts and we're superior to the whims of brutality and cruelty that our enemies would bestow upon us in turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You said you would be tolerant of a whole lot more. Where do you draw the line?

    As a side note, EIT are less effective than standard interrogation techniques.
    Exclusive: Senate probe finds little evidence of effective torture | Reuters
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/30/wa...gate.html?_r=1
    http://66.35.36.177:21980/LegalDev/N...y...Morgan.pdf
    Testimony
    And many more.
    And now we're back to this question, what does it's effectiveness have to do with anything? If you oppose waterboarding on moral grounds, presumably it could be the most effective thing in the world and you'd all still oppose it? Right?

  9. #149
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No the majority of the country disagree with your statement here:




    ..............
    My statement there was that we did show restraint by utilizing waterboarding. That would be the statement that you say the majority of the country disagrees with me about.

  10. #150
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,293

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    We are discussing the policies of the "chimp-in-chief" (Bartcop.com) and that should pretty much sum it up. We attacked Iraq! Iraq was not a threat. Let's get this all in perspective. Remember the "terror alerts" and their phony colored lights. A huge campaign to make USAmericans scared of an imaginary enemy. This is the same group that brought you waterboarding. Enough said.

Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •