View Poll Results: is cbo reliable

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • im right wing and cbo is accurate

    1 5.26%
  • im left wing and cbo is accurate

    5 26.32%
  • im independant or no opinion and its accurate

    2 10.53%
  • im right wing and i think its inaccurate

    0 0%
  • im liberal and i think its inaccurate

    0 0%
  • im independant and i think its inaccurate

    2 10.53%
  • why should i care

    1 5.26%
  • other

    9 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: is cbo a reliable source.

  1. #1
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    is cbo a reliable source.

    in another thread another user touts cbo as extremely reliable and undisputable,since congress,the most hated and unreliable part of our govt,uses it for all insight.

    my question is,can an organization that can be refuted by any independant organization and itself be reliable????cbo has said stimulous spending would hurt our economy,they have said not introducing stimulous will hurt our economy.they have said deficit reduction will hurt our economy,they have said obamacare will cost america 4 million jobs.


    at the same time they said obamacare will save us money,then break even,then say it will cost us hundreds of bilions,then over a trillion,then came back and said it will save us money??????????????????



    can an organization so inconsistent on predictions and so often proven wrong be considered accurate??????
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  2. #2
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Yes the CBO is a reliable source.


  3. #3
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yes the CBO is a reliable source.
    i am asking opinions,but how can an organization that debunks itself be accurate???
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  4. #4
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    i am asking opinions,but how can an organization that debunks itself be accurate???
    "CBO relies on the rich data sources from the government’s statistical agencies. Those sources include the national income and product accounts, the census of manufacturers, the Statistics of Income database, the Current Population Survey, and various national health surveys. CBO also uses information provided by relevant government agencies and industry groups to meet specific needs. In addition, the agency seeks outside experts’ advice on specific analytic matters, such as the outlook for agricultural production, spending projections for Medicare and Medicaid, and business prospects in the telecommunications industry."

    "Yes. We are required as a matter of law to disclose the basis for each of our cost estimates. We follow that same practice for our analytic studies.

    CBO employs standard methods of economic and budgetary analysis. To answer many questions, the agency develops analytic models or uses models available from others. CBO also closely follows professional developments in economics and related disciplines, and we consult regularly with outside experts in a broad range of relevant fields for guidance on ongoing work."

    "In preparing its cost estimates and other analyses, as required by law or requested by Members of Congress, CBO uses data and other information from a wide variety of sources, consults with outside experts representing a variety of perspectives, and applies a rigorous internal review process that involves multiple people at different levels in the organization. All of CBO's formal written cost estimates and analyses of budgetary and economic issues are delivered to all interested parties simultaneously and posted on the agency’s website."

    "All CBO estimates and reports are reviewed internally for objectivity, analytical soundness, and clarity. CBO’s reports are also reviewed by outside subject matter experts. In addition, the agency has a Panel of Economic Advisers and a Panel of Health Advisers. Those groups—whose membership includes previous CBO directors, other distinguished economists, and acknowledged experts in health care—meet to review the agency’s economic forecasts and to advise the agency on its analyses of health care issues. Although such experts provide considerable assistance, CBO is solely responsible for the accuracy of its work."

    CBO | our processes


  5. #5
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Other. It's only as reliable as the data provided to them, if someone wants to skew the data all they would have to do is issue a shortened report, or withold some data.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #6
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    "CBO relies on the rich data sources from the government’s statistical agencies. Those sources include the national income and product accounts, the census of manufacturers, the Statistics of Income database, the Current Population Survey, and various national health surveys. CBO also uses information provided by relevant government agencies and industry groups to meet specific needs. In addition, the agency seeks outside experts’ advice on specific analytic matters, such as the outlook for agricultural production, spending projections for Medicare and Medicaid, and business prospects in the telecommunications industry."

    "Yes. We are required as a matter of law to disclose the basis for each of our cost estimates. We follow that same practice for our analytic studies.

    CBO employs standard methods of economic and budgetary analysis. To answer many questions, the agency develops analytic models or uses models available from others. CBO also closely follows professional developments in economics and related disciplines, and we consult regularly with outside experts in a broad range of relevant fields for guidance on ongoing work."

    "In preparing its cost estimates and other analyses, as required by law or requested by Members of Congress, CBO uses data and other information from a wide variety of sources, consults with outside experts representing a variety of perspectives, and applies a rigorous internal review process that involves multiple people at different levels in the organization. All of CBO's formal written cost estimates and analyses of budgetary and economic issues are delivered to all interested parties simultaneously and posted on the agency’s website."

    "All CBO estimates and reports are reviewed internally for objectivity, analytical soundness, and clarity. CBO’s reports are also reviewed by outside subject matter experts. In addition, the agency has a Panel of Economic Advisers and a Panel of Health Advisers. Those groups—whose membership includes previous CBO directors, other distinguished economists, and acknowledged experts in health care—meet to review the agency’s economic forecasts and to advise the agency on its analyses of health care issues. Although such experts provide considerable assistance, CBO is solely responsible for the accuracy of its work."

    CBO | our processes
    that still doesnt adress the fact they have proven themselves wrong numerous times,as well as independant sources.also cbo as dont quite a few 180's which leads me to believe partisan support,changing depending on the years.


    its like saying your accountant is right because he is by regs,even though he has gotten everything wrong 20 years in a row.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  7. #7
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    that still doesnt adress the fact they have proven themselves wrong numerous times,as well as independant sources.also cbo as dont quite a few 180's which leads me to believe partisan support,changing depending on the years.


    its like saying your accountant is right because he is by regs,even though he has gotten everything wrong 20 years in a row.
    What do you mean the debunk themselves? The CBO debunks congress accusations all the time.. Is that you mean? Cuz they do...


  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,321
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    that still doesnt adress the fact they have proven themselves wrong numerous times,as well as independant sources.also cbo as dont quite a few 180's which leads me to believe partisan support,changing depending on the years.


    its like saying your accountant is right because he is by regs,even though he has gotten everything wrong 20 years in a row.
    Any group that does projections will have to as a necessity change their projections as the data changes. Projections are never 100 % reliable.

    What the CBO is is the most reliable, but hardly infallible, source of information. The fact that the CBO does in fact correct their findings when the data changes is an indication of their relative reliability. I answered your poll as "other", since no group is 100 % reliable, however, I trust CBO findings over most groups.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    What do you mean the debunk themselves? The CBO debunks congress accusations all the time.. Is that you mean? Cuz they do...
    cbo has made estimates for obama care costs from saving money to costing us over a trillion,their estimates are so far out of whack with eachother that its like saying russia is anywhere from 1-20,000 miles away,therefore im right.

    better they have debunked themselvesmon obamacare multiple times,they have came up with 2 opposites on stimulous spending,they have said obamacare would cause america to lose 4 milion jobs,even through conservative obamacare hating math thats really farfetched.

    not to mention i have never seen any math showing how cbo gets its results,if they disclose it,its obviously somewhere in the swiss alps in a library.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  10. #10
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: is cbo a reliable source.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Any group that does projections will have to as a necessity change their projections as the data changes. Projections are never 100 % reliable.

    What the CBO is is the most reliable, but hardly infallible, source of information. The fact that the CBO does in fact correct their findings when the data changes is an indication of their relative reliability. I answered your poll as "other", since no group is 100 % reliable, however, I trust CBO findings over most groups.
    they havent changed their data for bush tax cuts since 2003,using 2001 gdp and refuse to account variables or growth,i dont call that accurate,icall it lazy accounting.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •