View Poll Results: Would you own an assault Rifle? Why?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! Only crazies own assault rifles.

    15 11.11%
  • No, they are too expensive!

    7 5.19%
  • No, no need to.

    41 30.37%
  • Yes, for self defense

    44 32.59%
  • Yes, for recreation and sport

    52 38.52%
  • Yes, to perform my patriotic duty if the nation is invaded

    43 31.85%
  • Yes, because it's my constiutional right

    45 33.33%
  • Yes, because I'm one of the CRAZIES!!! hahahahaha

    15 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 387886878889 LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 888

Thread: Why would you own an assault rifle?

  1. #871
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Maybe just so I can say I got an Uzi or whatever it is called. But probably not.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #872
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Maybe just so I can say I got an Uzi or whatever it is called. But probably not.
    technically a real uzi is a submachine gun since it fires a pistol cartridge rather than an intermediate rifle cartridge

    I have a semi auto uzi best called a "carbine"

    the original sales pitch for the semi auto uzi was a weapon that was more reliable more accurate and safer to use for home defense than a pistol and more likely to be legal in cities where handgun ownership was limited or banned.

    they are fun to shoot but are very heavy for the power they have

  3. #873
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,506

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    All fully automatic firearms after 1986 are banned by federal law, only holders of an FFLIII license may own fully automatics made prior to that. There are only two ways to qualify for an FFLIII and that is to register as either a dealer or collector, all assault rifles have a selector switch and fire automatic thus can only be purchased under both conditions that I mentioned.
    Not always. It depends on the state.

    In the state of Florida, I can by a silencer or full auto weapon after paying my $300.00 federal transfer tax and a background check by the state police. That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #874
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Not always. It depends on the state.

    In the state of Florida, I can by a silencer or full auto weapon after paying my $300.00 federal transfer tax and a background check by the state police. That's it.
    other than 200 dollars you are both right

    in Ohio many cities' police chiefs won't sign off on Class III tax stamp weapons. So you have to start a corporation and have the corporation own the weapon

  5. #875
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Not always. It depends on the state.

    In the state of Florida, I can by a silencer or full auto weapon after paying my $300.00 federal transfer tax and a background check by the state police. That's it.
    It's actually a 1986 federal law though. It's illegal to sell any automatics made after 1986, maybe under Fla. law you can purchase pre-1986 with those conditions, I think Nevada is also full-auto friendly iirc.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #876
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's actually a 1986 federal law though. It's illegal to sell any automatics made after 1986, maybe under Fla. law you can purchase pre-1986 with those conditions, I think Nevada is also full-auto friendly iirc.
    You can get a federal tax stamp that allows you to own a fully automatic, regardless of date of manufacture, but the cost and bull**** involved is ridiculous from what I hear.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #877
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    You can get a federal tax stamp that allows you to own a fully automatic, regardless of date of manufacture, but the cost and bull**** involved is ridiculous from what I hear.
    Are you guys sure about that? Not being difficult here but the Hughes amendment of 1986 as passed stated that ownership and transfer rights of any weapons registered after May 19, 1986 were banned. I know to get the FFLIII you have to have a squeaky clean record, have the tax stamp, and be either registered as a dealer or collector. The whole thing could be simplified but as it stands is BS.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #878
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    You can get a federal tax stamp that allows you to own a fully automatic, regardless of date of manufacture, but the cost and bull**** involved is ridiculous from what I hear.
    not true

    you can only own REGISTERED automatic weapons and the HUGHES AMENDMENT prohibited any automatic weapon made after May 19, 1986 from being REGISTERED for Class III tax stamps

    that is why auto weapons have skyrocketed in cost and its why cops can buy a MP 5 for under 2 grand and if you want one its gonna be 18,000 or more since you are limited to registered weapons or sears pre May 19, 1986

    you can get around that by becoming a TITLE II maker or dealer but you will need a POLICE DEPARTMENT WRITTEN REQUEST for you to provide demo weapons to them.

    pre may 19,1986 Title II weapons owned by a dealer could be possessed by that dealer with the tax stamp if the dealer gave up his license. IF YOU ARE A DEALER AND YOU cease being a dealer you cannot KEEP any POST may 19,1986 dealer sample weapons.

    that is why trade journals like SHOTGUN News will have ads for auto weapons with the following

    1) fully transferable (most expensive)

    2) Pre May Dealer samples (less expensive)

    3) POST MAY 19 dealer samples (cheapest since they are the hardest to sell)

  9. #879
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    not true

    you can only own REGISTERED automatic weapons and the HUGHES AMENDMENT prohibited any automatic weapon made after May 19, 1986 from being REGISTERED for Class III tax stamps

    that is why auto weapons have skyrocketed in cost and its why cops can buy a MP 5 for under 2 grand and if you want one its gonna be 18,000 or more since you are limited to registered weapons or sears pre May 19, 1986

    you can get around that by becoming a TITLE II maker or dealer but you will need a POLICE DEPARTMENT WRITTEN REQUEST for you to provide demo weapons to them.

    pre may 19,1986 Title II weapons owned by a dealer could be possessed by that dealer with the tax stamp if the dealer gave up his license. IF YOU ARE A DEALER AND YOU cease being a dealer you cannot KEEP any POST may 19,1986 dealer sample weapons.

    that is why trade journals like SHOTGUN News will have ads for auto weapons with the following

    1) fully transferable (most expensive)

    2) Pre May Dealer samples (less expensive)

    3) POST MAY 19 dealer samples (cheapest since they are the hardest to sell)
    Thanks TD. I knew a bit of that but not the Title II designation. It was such a disgusting last minute move to sneak that into a firearms protection law. But that's gun banners for you.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #880
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Thanks TD. I knew a bit of that but not the Title II designation. It was such a disgusting last minute move to sneak that into a firearms protection law. But that's gun banners for you.
    there were strong arguments that parliamentary rules were ignored or even outright violated by that move

    there are even arguments it didn't really pass-it was done on a voice vote. Former WH counsel told me Reagan signed it because he thought it was going to be struck by the courts-others claim he didn't know it was there

Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 387886878889 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •