View Poll Results: Would you own an assault Rifle? Why?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! Only crazies own assault rifles.

    15 11.11%
  • No, they are too expensive!

    7 5.19%
  • No, no need to.

    41 30.37%
  • Yes, for self defense

    44 32.59%
  • Yes, for recreation and sport

    52 38.52%
  • Yes, to perform my patriotic duty if the nation is invaded

    43 31.85%
  • Yes, because it's my constiutional right

    45 33.33%
  • Yes, because I'm one of the CRAZIES!!! hahahahaha

    15 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 68 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 888

Thread: Why would you own an assault rifle?

  1. #671
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If you'd own an assault rifle, why not a grenade launcher? I'd wager a grenade launcher is less deadly. Sure, you'd kill anyone in the blast radius, but with an assault rifle you can mow down packs of victims.
    Stop dude, just stop. A grenade has an effective kill radius of 15 feet, and a secondary radius of about 25. Unless someone jumps on said grenade to absorb the blast everyone within 15 feet is dead, within 25 feet it's going to be around a 55% casualty rate, and there are going to be wounded past that due to shrapnel. A grenade requires even less accuracy than a shotgun, which is why they were invented. They were made to clear or kill in bunkers or thin numbers and slow enemy advances.

    With an assault rifle you first have to get the rideup under control and THEN hit your target, even then you have to hit a vital organ or artery. With a grenade you simply have to get it into the general area of the person you want to go bye-bye.

    Edit - Bunkers should have been dugouts or trenches. There were techniques for dropping live grendades into bunker openings such as gun ports and viewing slots, but that was a suicide mission much of the time.
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 08-01-12 at 08:18 PM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #672
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    A lot of what ifing in this.

    I don't know too many folks can make an offhand T-Box shot with only partial exposure on moving heads, the hostage taker and the hostage. Your asking a lot for some badguy to not shoot you, or cut the kid while your steady up and squeeze. You must have ice water for blood.

    Most of the time you will be clearing your house, working toward the children's bedrooms, don't know about you but I like my kid's room a bit away from the parental bedroom due to my wife not being much of a pillow biter...

    The problem with a shotgun is the same as bolt gun or carbine in house clearing. The barrel leads. The badguy doesn't need to grab it, simply be aware you are exactly right there. Pistols work well in room to room movement where you don't want to wave a barrel in the room before entering. (tactical movement goes MUCH farther than what weapon you use, though a shotgun when your children are in the house does seem like a poor selection.) Pieing the room before entering goes along way toward success in clearing a room.

    For home defense nothing more than a revolver is needed, that some of we like high cap semi-autos, 8 round shotguns, or ARs to do the job has little to do with the job, a lot more to do with the lose nut on the trigger...

    But hey 99.99999% of the home defenders will never actually have to clear rooms, T-Box a bad guy holding their daughter at knife point, or expend more than 3 rounds defending the home. Most likely some drunken, drugged up guy thinking you are easy pickings so your have to wait until you are over 70 or a single mom even then at best one round expended or just seeing the pistol will have the turd roller fleeing in terror....

  3. #673
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Stop dude, just stop. A grenade has an effective kill radius of 15 feet, and a secondary radius of about 25. Unless someone jumps on said grenade to absorb the blast everyone within 15 feet is dead, within 25 feet it's going to be around a 55% casualty rate, and there are going to be wounded past that due to shrapnel. A grenade requires even less accuracy than a shotgun, which is why they were invented. They were made to clear or kill in bunkers or thin numbers and slow enemy advances.

    With an assault rifle you first have to get the rideup under control and THEN hit your target, even then you have to hit a vital organ or artery. With a grenade you simply have to get it into the general area of the person you want to go bye-bye.
    How much ammo do assault rifles typically contain? I'm also going to count a 2nd ammo cartridge. Each slug from an assault rifle is another chance to kill.

    I think a gym full of kids/adults could be mowed down with a powerful assault rifle, as lethal if not moreso than a grenade launcher. Also, with the grenade launcher there's more of a risk of possibly being caught in the blast radius. With an assault rifle you cannot get caught in a blast radius. If an assault rifle can carry over 100 bullets, it's more lethal than an RPG, imo.

  4. #674
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    How much ammo do assault rifles typically contain? I'm also going to count a 2nd ammo cartridge. Each slug from an assault rifle is another chance to kill.

    I think a gym full of kids/adults could be mowed down with a powerful assault rifle, as lethal if not moreso than a grenade launcher. Also, with the grenade launcher there's more of a risk of possibly being caught in the blast radius. With an assault rifle you cannot get caught in a blast radius. If an assault rifle can carry over 100 bullets, it's more lethal than an RPG, imo.
    You aren't getting the point. If you have 200 rounds and don't hit anything, or hit at a 1:40 ratio your odds of causing death and destruction are not good, that is a major drawback of assault rifles, their rate of fire makes them inaccurate. If you have ONE grendade and throw it into a crowd of twenty you'll probably kill 18 to 20. You may not kill anyone with an assault rifle, though you may wound a couple.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #675
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If you'd own an assault rifle, why not a grenade launcher? I'd wager a grenade launcher is less deadly. Sure, you'd kill anyone in the blast radius, but with an assault rifle you can mow down packs of victims.
    Wake, get real. Honest to gosh I think you say things sometimes just for the shock value in hopes of torquing someone off.

    I don't own an assault rifle in order to mow down packs of victims. I own one for defending my home and property and self and family, and for target shooting... and as a way-way-way-far-back-improbability, as a hedge against civil-disorder-disater situations.

    I don't own a grenade launcher and don't want one. For one thing it is fairly useless in self-defense as it is an AREA EFFECT WEAPON.... it lacks precision targeting ability. Furthermore I don't much like explosives, they're as dangerous to the possessor as to anyone else if not carefully handled.

    It is a ludicrous comparison.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #676
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    You aren't getting the point. If you have 200 rounds and don't hit anything, or hit at a 1:40 ratio your odds of causing death and destruction are not good, that is a major drawback of assault rifles, their rate of fire makes them inaccurate. If you have ONE grendade and throw it into a crowd of twenty you'll probably kill 18 to 20. You may not kill anyone with an assault rifle, though you may wound a couple.
    I think that's more than a little unfair to think that "if you have 200 rounds and don't hit anything..." I don't think that if you're deliberately looking to kill people, you're going to kill one person every 40 slugs. I think the numbers would be a bit higher. Of course I don't have experience killing people with assault rifles, so obviously this is strictly anecdotal. I still think one could charge a crowd, mow them down, and then continue mowing down the fallen victims. It wouldn't be difficult if an ammo cartridge contains 50-100 slugs per pop.

  7. #677
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I don't own an assault rifle in order to mow down packs of victims. I own one for defending my home and property and self and family, and for target shooting... and as a way-way-way-far-back-improbability, as a hedge against civil-disorder-disater situations.

    I don't own a grenade launcher and don't want one. For one thing it is fairly useless in self-defense as it is an AREA EFFECT WEAPON.... it lacks precision targeting ability. Furthermore I don't much like explosives, they're as dangerous to the possessor as to anyone else if not carefully handled.

    It is a ludicrous comparison.
    I don't know much about guns/weapons. I figured a grenade launcer typically has, what, two rockets. You can kill people within the 15-ft blast radius. You get two shots. However, with an assault rifle with 100 slugs you can mow down a group, run to the next destination, mow more down, etc. Iirc that one Norway terrorist did the same thing.

    I figure if you have a weapon that can kill over 50 people with two ammo cartridges, then why not an RPG, too? What gives an edge in favor of the assault rifle is that, as you said, there's no possibility of being trapped in a blast radius. You can kill a lot of people in compact places, especially if they're within 15 feet of you. Not so with a RPG. Edge on assault rifle.

  8. #678
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    A lot of what ifing in this.

    I don't know too many folks can make an offhand T-Box shot with only partial exposure on moving heads, the hostage taker and the hostage. Your asking a lot for some badguy to not shoot you, or cut the kid while your steady up and squeeze. You must have ice water for blood.

    Most of the time you will be clearing your house, working toward the children's bedrooms, don't know about you but I like my kid's room a bit away from the parental bedroom due to my wife not being much of a pillow biter...

    The problem with a shotgun is the same as bolt gun or carbine in house clearing. The barrel leads. The badguy doesn't need to grab it, simply be aware you are exactly right there. Pistols work well in room to room movement where you don't want to wave a barrel in the room before entering. (tactical movement goes MUCH farther than what weapon you use, though a shotgun when your children are in the house does seem like a poor selection.) Pieing the room before entering goes along way toward success in clearing a room.

    For home defense nothing more than a revolver is needed, that some of we like high cap semi-autos, 8 round shotguns, or ARs to do the job has little to do with the job, a lot more to do with the lose nut on the trigger...

    But hey 99.99999% of the home defenders will never actually have to clear rooms, T-Box a bad guy holding their daughter at knife point, or expend more than 3 rounds defending the home. Most likely some drunken, drugged up guy thinking you are easy pickings so your have to wait until you are over 70 or a single mom even then at best one round expended or just seeing the pistol will have the turd roller fleeing in terror....

    1. I'm not an idiot nor inexperienced... nor a "loose nut".
    2. I've been trained in houseclearing, both with handguns and with carbines or shotguns, alone or with a team. I have my preferred methods of doing it; maybe I'll go into the details sometime.
    3. I'm fully aware that MOST self-defense scenarios are over by the time three shots have been fired.... but also aware that this is not ALL.
    4. I'm fully aware that hostage-rescue shots are a rarity even for SWAT teams. That doesn't mean I don't want the capacity to make one if the improbable actually happens... as it has a habit of doing sometimes. I live in a rural area of farmers and feed stores, and we had a frigging SERIAL KILLER do in five people in my area, including two people I knew personally, so don't lecture me on what is "likely" to happen.
    5. I don't care for revolvers for home defense due to limited capacity and slow reloads. Yes I know six would usually be enough, but I'm not one to be satisfied with "usually enough".
    6. You don't get to decide what I need or don't need, or what is adequate for my purposes and what is excessive, any more than I get to limit your freedom of speech as long as you don't break the law doing it.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #679
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I think that's more than a little unfair to think that "if you have 200 rounds and don't hit anything..." I don't think that if you're deliberately looking to kill people, you're going to kill one person every 40 slugs. I think the numbers would be a bit higher. Of course I don't have experience killing people with assault rifles, so obviously this is strictly anecdotal. I still think one could charge a crowd, mow them down, and then continue mowing down the fallen victims. It wouldn't be difficult if an ammo cartridge contains 50-100 slugs per pop.

    Wake, would you like to get educated and informed on the actual facts about "assault" rifles in private hands, or would you just prefer to continue making statements about the topic that simply have no connection to reality?

    If the former, I can fill you in. If the latter, yer on your own.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #680
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Wake, would you like to get educated and informed on the actual facts about "assault" rifles in private hands, or would you just prefer to continue making statements about the topic that simply have no connection to reality?

    If the former, I can fill you in. If the latter, yer on your own.
    If you do so with the same respect I show you, then I'd appreciate it. I'd factor that in, and also research any other data that may place weight against it. Any data that supports either case is always helpful.

Page 68 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •