View Poll Results: Would you own an assault Rifle? Why?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! Only crazies own assault rifles.

    15 11.11%
  • No, they are too expensive!

    7 5.19%
  • No, no need to.

    41 30.37%
  • Yes, for self defense

    44 32.59%
  • Yes, for recreation and sport

    52 38.52%
  • Yes, to perform my patriotic duty if the nation is invaded

    43 31.85%
  • Yes, because it's my constiutional right

    45 33.33%
  • Yes, because I'm one of the CRAZIES!!! hahahahaha

    15 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 67 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 888

Thread: Why would you own an assault rifle?

  1. #661
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Well, I think the fact that over a million of their citizens will attempt to get to our side of the border each year, it might come into play. Especially when our current leadership not only doesn't want to do anything to stop them from comming but has public fought against taking reasonable steps to stop them from voting in our upcoming election. As a citizen of a border state, it plays very heavy here, after all, we need to have the means to fight off these cartel guys that keep coming accross into our state and causing problems.
    well that is a good point. My suggestion is to Annex Mexico to be those missing states 51-57 and then turn loose a bunch of the Special Forces guys home from Iraq to clean out the cartels

  2. #662
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    You know that is an honest position

    I don't do golf so I don't own golf clubs

    I don't do ballet so I don't own a leotard or ballet shoes

    I don't bowl anymore so I sold the ball I had

    but I am not going to tell someone else its silly to own a set of irons, a tutu or a bunch of bowling balls (my friends say they have different balls depending on how slick or dry the lanes are)

    its about choice!!
    TBH, I do think it is a little unnecessary to own an assault rifle. If you are a high profile target, like a rich person or a witness against the Mafia it makes sense. As a sporting weapon it is fine to have as well. For self-defense it seems a little unnecessary. First off, though, I don't understand guns enough to have an opinion that should be legislated. I don't think, however, what is unnecessary should be illegal. I think it is silly to own a Mac but I will not make it illegal. Silliness isn't a crime. Again, since I am illiterate in the matter I cannot be a complete judge of gun silliness anyway.

    I don't do golf so I don't own golf clubs
    A rich person who doesn't play golf??!!!?!11?!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  3. #663
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    TBH, I do think it is a little unnecessary to own an assault rifle. If you are a high profile target, like a rich person or a witness against the Mafia it makes sense. As a sporting weapon it is fine to have as well. For self-defense it seems a little unnecessary. First off, though, I don't understand guns enough to have an opinion that should be legislated. I don't think, however, what is unnecessary should be illegal. I think it is silly to own a Mac but I will not make it illegal. Silliness isn't a crime. Again, since I am illiterate in the matter I cannot be a complete judge of gun silliness anyway.



    A rich person who doesn't play golf??!!!?!11?!!
    I like shooting and competing with them (the semi auto ones) and if I could buy one at the same price civilian law enforcement agencies buy them for I'd get a select fire one. Since civilian LE Agencies have decreed these weapons ideal for somewhat trained police officers to use in a civilian urban environment for SELF DEFENSE, I too want to have the most suitable weapon as well

  4. #664
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    TBH, I do think it is a little unnecessary to own an assault rifle. If you are a high profile target, like a rich person or a witness against the Mafia it makes sense. As a sporting weapon it is fine to have as well. For self-defense it seems a little unnecessary. First off, though, I don't understand guns enough to have an opinion that should be legislated. I don't think, however, what is unnecessary should be illegal. I think it is silly to own a Mac but I will not make it illegal. Silliness isn't a crime. Again, since I am illiterate in the matter I cannot be a complete judge of gun silliness anyway.



    A rich person who doesn't play golf??!!!?!11?!!

    I gave you a Likes because you have enough sense to know what you don't know and enough integrity to admit the lack. This is apparently a character trait that is rather rare.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #665
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I gave you a Likes because you have enough sense to know what you don't know and enough integrity to admit the lack. This is apparently a character trait that is rather rare.
    as Clint would say

    Ah Man's got to know his limitations!

  6. #666
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    TBH, I do think it is a little unnecessary to own an assault rifle. If you are a high profile target, like a rich person or a witness against the Mafia it makes sense. As a sporting weapon it is fine to have as well. For self-defense it seems a little unnecessary. First off, though, I don't understand guns enough to have an opinion that should be legislated. I don't think, however, what is unnecessary should be illegal. I think it is silly to own a Mac but I will not make it illegal. Silliness isn't a crime. Again, since I am illiterate in the matter I cannot be a complete judge of gun silliness anyway.



    A rich person who doesn't play golf??!!!?!11?!!
    I like your attitude, being completely honest here. A quick tactical perspective, let's say you are in a house with lots of walls or a decent amount of room but not much open ground. A bolt action rifle is the most accurate but it will be long barreled, there are many minuses in a situation where seconds matter whether that be a charging animal or an assailant in proximity. It takes longer to draw and anticipate with the typical hunting rifle and it's easier for someone to grab it while you try to get around a corner, the shorter variants allow for a quicker target aquisition and faster cornering.

    That said a shotgun is the best CQ weapon due to the spread pattern of the typical shell(slugs excluded) and only a fool would try to get in closer, they don't need to be "on point" as readily but more "in the general area of the target. Handguns are for situations where the SHTF within 20yds or less, maybe 50 if it's all you've got, they're meant for quick draws in very close proximity. As well if an assailant is gaining ground you want a decent rate of fire, semi-automatics do just fine in most situations.
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 08-01-12 at 07:24 PM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #667
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I like your attitude, being completely honest here. A quick tactical perspective, let's say you are in a house with lots of walls or a decent amount of room but not much open ground. A bolt action rifle is the most accurate but it will be long barreled, there are many minuses in a situation where seconds matter whether that be a charging animal or an assailant in proximity. It takes longer to draw and anticipate with the typical hunting rifle and it's easier for someone to grab it while you try to get around a corner, the shorter variants allow for a quicker target aquisition and faster cornering.

    That said a shotgun is the best CQ weapon due to the spread pattern of the typical shell(slugs excluded) and only a fool would try to get in closer, they don't need to be "on point" as readily but more "in the general area of the target. Handguns are for situations where the SHTF within 20yds or less, maybe 50 if it's all you've got, they're meant for quick draws in very close proximity. As well if an assailant is gaining ground you want a decent rate of fire, semi-automatics do just fine in most situations.

    I could do well enough with a tactical shotgun (8 round tube or more) for home defense, I suppose. One thing I like about my "assault rifle" though is it is MUCH easier to make a hostage-rescue shot, than with a shotgun or a pistol.

    (Hostage-rescue shot = a head shot where the scumbag is partially hiding behind a hostage.)

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #668
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I could do well enough with a tactical shotgun (8 round tube or more) for home defense, I suppose. One thing I like about my "assault rifle" though is it is MUCH easier to make a hostage-rescue shot, than with a shotgun or a pistol.

    (Hostage-rescue shot = a head shot where the scumbag is partially hiding behind a hostage.)
    Yep, the drawback to the shotgun. You don't have to be accurate, but sometimes accuracy is preferable. I was thinking of a situation where you can intercept the intruder before he can find human shields, such as hustling the loved ones to a bedroom and getting them locked in. The situation changes drastically if the family is involved.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #669
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Yep, the drawback to the shotgun. You don't have to be accurate, but sometimes accuracy is preferable. I was thinking of a situation where you can intercept the intruder before he can find human shields, such as hustling the loved ones to a bedroom and getting them locked in. The situation changes drastically if the family is involved.
    Yup, it was one of my criteria in choosing an AR as my go-to home-defense gun. Of course, I have shotguns too.


    Actually I have one less shotgun now... the boy has claimed my old pump-action as his go-to home defense gun.

    He wants a Old West-style revolver or lever-rifle for his birthday though... the older they get, the more their "toys" cost.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #670
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    If you'd own an assault rifle, why not a grenade launcher? I'd wager a grenade launcher is less deadly. Sure, you'd kill anyone in the blast radius, but with an assault rifle you can mow down packs of victims.

Page 67 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •