View Poll Results: Would you own an assault Rifle? Why?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! Only crazies own assault rifles.

    15 11.11%
  • No, they are too expensive!

    7 5.19%
  • No, no need to.

    41 30.37%
  • Yes, for self defense

    44 32.59%
  • Yes, for recreation and sport

    52 38.52%
  • Yes, to perform my patriotic duty if the nation is invaded

    43 31.85%
  • Yes, because it's my constiutional right

    45 33.33%
  • Yes, because I'm one of the CRAZIES!!! hahahahaha

    15 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 55 of 89 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 888

Thread: Why would you own an assault rifle?

  1. #541
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I disagree that this is the proper reading of the constitution or the decision finding for gun rights. However, I don't disagree that the fundamental question of whether Americans have gun rights has been resolved -- not the way I had hoped, but still, it is a closed question IMO.




    I don't know if you are quoting from the constitution or from DC v. Heller. Either way, I agree: the gun rights of Americans have been established and if we are to claim to live by the rule of law, we have to accept them.



    Most laws have these kinds of "bright line" problems. When describing the difference between what is legal and what is prohibited, some technicality or other seems arbitrary. Yet we need and want such laws and we abide by them, most of us. The mere fact that a law has to describe what is prohibited does not seem to me enough reason to claim it is foolish.
    One thing to consider about interpretation is that not long after the drafting of the constitution citizens were holding military equipment in their private stock, for instance, merchant ships had cannons and with the blessing of our government.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #542
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I disagree that this is the proper reading of the constitution or the decision finding for gun rights. However, I don't disagree that the fundamental question of whether Americans have gun rights has been resolved -- not the way I had hoped, but still, it is a closed question IMO.
    I don't know if you are quoting from the constitution or from DC v. Heller. Either way, I agree: the gun rights of Americans have been established and if we are to claim to live by the rule of law, we have to accept them. Most laws have these kinds of "bright line" problems. When describing the difference between what is legal and what is prohibited, some technicality or other seems arbitrary. Yet we need and want such laws and we abide by them, most of us. The mere fact that a law has to describe what is prohibited does not seem to me enough reason to claim it is foolish.
    In this situation the question isnt so much over law as definition...and in fact, two mere words. "Assault weapon". Anti-gun groups seized on those two words and they dominate discussions. People clamor for 'assault weapon bans', meanwhile, most are just repeating words. The Colorado shooting did not begin with an 'assault rifle'. The initial weapon of choice was a shotgun. NO ONE would call for an end to shotgun use. Then, he switched to his "assault rifle with the extended magazine" which promptly jammed on him so he switched to his third weapon...a handgun which (like Cho at VaTech) he used to inflict the most damage. As the smoke clears, what is the rhetoric. Lets ban "assault weapons". See...its not about whether or not it is the right thing to do or whether it will solve or even help anything. Its just a ban...but at least its 'something'.

    As for the reading of the constitution...I get that legal minds wrestle with this...but they do so from a position of personal bias. I defy ANYONE to logically explain how the framers meant the Bill of Rights to be ANYTHING other than a declaration of individual rights and limitations on governments with regard to citizens...all of them...well...except the 2nd amendment. That just doesnt even make sense. You may disagree with it...but it doesnt change the words or intent.

  3. #543
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    I'm busy working out 4 days a week so I don't have to be a fat slot cellulite butt anymore. Once I'm nicely toned up, I'm dressing up in hot pink lingerie with rhodamine red lipstick and am paying a professional photographer to take sexy photos of me with an AK-47 for my fiance.

    So to answer your question, I want to own an assault rifle because it's sexy. Plus, I plan to use it to go watermelon hunting. (I'm a vegetarian.)

  4. #544
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,670

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    One thing to consider about interpretation is that not long after the drafting of the constitution citizens were holding military equipment in their private stock, for instance, merchant ships had cannons and with the blessing of our government.
    Exactly. You arm yourself to protect against the most likely threats to be faced. Obviously those that want to stand off a SWAT team must have reason to believe that is an immedtiate threat to them. Personally I feel safe enough with a semi-auto pistol, yet that does not mean that my right to seek a different choice in defense weapon would not ever change. If I had a large ranch to protect, rather than a small lot, my choice would likely be different.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #545
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Exactly. You arm yourself to protect against the most likely threats to be faced. Obviously those that want to stand off a SWAT team must have reason to believe that is an immedtiate threat to them. Personally I feel safe enough with a semi-auto pistol, yet that does not mean that my right to seek a different choice in defense weapon would not ever change. If I had a large ranch to protect, rather than a small lot, my choice would likely be different.
    Yep. Handgun 0-20yd average, good shot can extend that range to around 50. Shotgun, 0-200yd maximum effective, can stretch to about 450, assault rifle sub 250-750 if it's the best you've got. Best defense, good, long range semi-automatic rifle or even a bolt action if the numbers allow for it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #546
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Yep. Handgun 0-20yd average, good shot can extend that range to around 50. Shotgun, 0-200yd maximum effective, can stretch to about 450, assault rifle sub 250-750 if it's the best you've got. Best defense, good, long range semi-automatic rifle or even a bolt action if the numbers allow for it.
    Unless you own a large enough piece of property and build your own range, you cannot practice long distance shooting. Most ranges I have found are 30 to 100 yards. I did find one that had 250 yrds once. I have heard that south of Shreveport, there is a 1000 yrd range, I am going to try to find it someday and see what their range fees are. Of course, due to driving distance and the price of gas, I won't be able to visit it much.

  7. #547
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    are you on the right thread? that makes no sense whatsoever especially since you did not quote a comment you were replying to
    its a responce to the OP.

  8. #548
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    yes, I want to add some convenience to your life and my life, in order to work towards a greater good.

    its the same with stop signs, stop lights, traffic signs, speed limits, seatbelt laws, etc etc.

    sorry for the inconvenience folks, but its for a greater good. We will all learn to deal with it like adults.
    But a stop sign is not a right that cant be INFRINGED on. A gun is.

  9. #549
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Constitutional Right my ass, when the Constitution was written we didn't have Assault Riffles. Everybody had guns because they hunted for their food, they didn't have high tech homes where they could protect themselves, and they did not live in an age where they could just fire off a nuke to protect themselves. Times have changed, I'm not saying that gun laws would prevent these shootings, but what I am saying is that not having these laws in place gives people a more easy means of doing so. If somebody were to obtain Assault Riffles illegally, we know that the only thing that can be done is to step up enforcement, there is no question whether if we had a law in place would it have stopped this event. Nobody needs an Assault Riffle for protection, and if you do, then you have bigger problems on your hands.
    Well that is wrong. they were called gatling guns. And many were privately owned and legal for all to own.
    Canons were also avalible and legal to own. And all those Tommy guns the gansters had? ALL legal to own at the time.

    They had homes with gun slits in the wondow covers...........LOL ...... wrong agian.

    See in 1776 the people and the gov army were armed the same.

    Today they have grenade launches etc and all we have is rifles and small arms. this invites Oligarchy.

    See when the british army was hungry they jsut stole from the unarmed pheasants of europe.
    Then they came to USA and tried to steal the farmers food........LOL......they learned a lesson!
    Last edited by 274ina; 07-30-12 at 05:39 PM.

  10. #550
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Unless you own a large enough piece of property and build your own range, you cannot practice long distance shooting. Most ranges I have found are 30 to 100 yards. I did find one that had 250 yrds once. I have heard that south of Shreveport, there is a 1000 yrd range, I am going to try to find it someday and see what their range fees are. Of course, due to driving distance and the price of gas, I won't be able to visit it much.
    you can shoot in millions and millions of acres of public land. Set up your own range and bring targets. Simple. I did it for years.

Page 55 of 89 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •