View Poll Results: Would you own an assault Rifle? Why?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! Only crazies own assault rifles.

    15 11.11%
  • No, they are too expensive!

    7 5.19%
  • No, no need to.

    41 30.37%
  • Yes, for self defense

    44 32.59%
  • Yes, for recreation and sport

    52 38.52%
  • Yes, to perform my patriotic duty if the nation is invaded

    43 31.85%
  • Yes, because it's my constiutional right

    45 33.33%
  • Yes, because I'm one of the CRAZIES!!! hahahahaha

    15 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 888

Thread: Why would you own an assault rifle?

  1. #531
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    That's not how it works. YOU are the one that claimed that criminals get their guns through normal gun dealers. It is your job to PROVE IT. It's called supporting your argument, you know that thing you don't do.
    Hmm, Wasn't that what "Fast and Furious" proved beyond a shadow of a doubt?

  2. #532
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Constitutional Right my ass, when the Constitution was written we didn't have Assault Riffles. Everybody had guns because they hunted for their food, they didn't have high tech homes where they could protect themselves, and they did not live in an age where they could just fire off a nuke to protect themselves. Times have changed, I'm not saying that gun laws would prevent these shootings, but what I am saying is that not having these laws in place gives people a more easy means of doing so. If somebody were to obtain Assault Riffles illegally, we know that the only thing that can be done is to step up enforcement, there is no question whether if we had a law in place would it have stopped this event. Nobody needs an Assault Riffle for protection, and if you do, then you have bigger problems on your hands.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  3. #533
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Man, I give up, I have come to realize there is far too much ignorance in this thread. And after all the ignorant talking points are shown to be factually incorrect, along comes a new person spouting off the same BS. It's really pointless. Obviously education is not a priority in many.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  4. #534
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,635

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Constitutional Right my ass, when the Constitution was written we didn't have Assault Riffles. Everybody had guns because they hunted for their food, they didn't have high tech homes where they could protect themselves, and they did not live in an age where they could just fire off a nuke to protect themselves. Times have changed, I'm not saying that gun laws would prevent these shootings, but what I am saying is that not having these laws in place gives people a more easy means of doing so. If somebody were to obtain Assault Riffles illegally, we know that the only thing that can be done is to step up enforcement, there is no question whether if we had a law in place would it have stopped this event. Nobody needs an Assault Riffle for protection, and if you do, then you have bigger problems on your hands.
    The "assault rifle" (a cosmetically enhanced semi-automatic rifle) is nothing more than the current equivalent of the musket. The idea of the second amendment is to allow all citizens to be able to be armed for self defense. I personally prefer a pistol for this purpose and use a rifle only for hunting. The idea that banning THINGS either makes them rare or keeps them away from criminals can be easily disproven when looking at recreational drugs. It is obvious that our "police protection" is not an ample deterrent for crime, and that ares under strict firearms laws are no safer than the "wild west". If someone is willing to kill you for your wallet, car or shoes they are VERY unlikely to be "afraid" to get caught with a gun.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #535
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,703

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Constitutional Right my ass, when the Constitution was written we didn't have Assault Riffles. Everybody had guns because they hunted for their food, they didn't have high tech homes where they could protect themselves, and they did not live in an age where they could just fire off a nuke to protect themselves. Times have changed, I'm not saying that gun laws would prevent these shootings, but what I am saying is that not having these laws in place gives people a more easy means of doing so. If somebody were to obtain Assault Riffles illegally, we know that the only thing that can be done is to step up enforcement, there is no question whether if we had a law in place would it have stopped this event. Nobody needs an Assault Riffle for protection, and if you do, then you have bigger problems on your hands.
    What is an 'assault rifle'? What is the difference between a semi-auto .223 hunting rifle and an AR15? Rather than embarrass yourself, shall I tell you? The AR15 looks scary. Ballistics is identical. Firing action is identical.

  6. #536
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Let me state my bias first: I have never even fired a gun and I wish 99% of the people who owned them did not. I seriously envy countries where guns are so uncommon, even the cops don't usually carry them. That said, I understand gun-control types like myself lost the constitutional debate and now must accept a country in which gun ownership (should be) virtually uncontrolled.

    But as to assault weapons, I think the slippery slope is not as to other guns but as to other weapons. If these are legal, why not other means of mass destruction?

  7. #537
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Hmm, Wasn't that what "Fast and Furious" proved beyond a shadow of a doubt?
    What "Fast and Furious" did prove is the best way to obtain a straw purchased gun is through the US Government.

    Why would you own an assault rifle?-fast-and-furious-bumper-sticker-drug-cartels-kill-people-political-cartoon-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  8. #538
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,703

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Let me state my bias first: I have never even fired a gun and I wish 99% of the people who owned them did not. I seriously envy countries where guns are so uncommon, even the cops don't usually carry them. That said, I understand gun-control types like myself lost the constitutional debate and now must accept a country in which gun ownership (should be) virtually uncontrolled.

    But as to assault weapons, I think the slippery slope is not as to other guns but as to other weapons. If these are legal, why not other means of mass destruction?
    Pinkie...if we go STRICTLY by the words and intent of the constitution, the framers INTENT was that the average citizenry NOT be denied military grade firearms by the government. People may not like it, but that is undeniable. Bill of individual rights...the need for a free citizenry and standing militias (US Code clearly defines the organized and unorganized militia) those rights SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED by the government. Thats not interpretation...thats verbatim.

    But part 2...what IS an assault weapon? I can put a pistol grip on my standard 20 gauge shotgun and I have just made it an 'assault weapon'. I can put a tactical rail system that allows me to attach a flashlight, grip, laser sight, etc and now my standard weapon has become an "assault weapon." Its silly but there it is.

  9. #539
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Pinkie...if we go STRICTLY by the words and intent of the constitution, the framers INTENT was that the average citizenry NOT be denied military grade firearms by the government.
    I disagree that this is the proper reading of the constitution or the decision finding for gun rights. However, I don't disagree that the fundamental question of whether Americans have gun rights has been resolved -- not the way I had hoped, but still, it is a closed question IMO.


    People may not like it, but that is undeniable. Bill of individual rights...the need for a free citizenry and standing militias (US Code clearly defines the organized and unorganized militia) those rights SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED by the government. Thats not interpretation...thats verbatim.
    I don't know if you are quoting from the constitution or from DC v. Heller. Either way, I agree: the gun rights of Americans have been established and if we are to claim to live by the rule of law, we have to accept them.

    But part 2...what IS an assault weapon? I can put a pistol grip on my standard 20 gauge shotgun and I have just made it an 'assault weapon'. I can put a tactical rail system that allows me to attach a flashlight, grip, laser sight, etc and now my standard weapon has become an "assault weapon." Its silly but there it is.
    Most laws have these kinds of "bright line" problems. When describing the difference between what is legal and what is prohibited, some technicality or other seems arbitrary. Yet we need and want such laws and we abide by them, most of us. The mere fact that a law has to describe what is prohibited does not seem to me enough reason to claim it is foolish.

  10. #540
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Let me state my bias first: I have never even fired a gun and I wish 99% of the people who owned them did not. I seriously envy countries where guns are so uncommon, even the cops don't usually carry them. That said, I understand gun-control types like myself lost the constitutional debate and now must accept a country in which gun ownership (should be) virtually uncontrolled.

    But as to assault weapons, I think the slippery slope is not as to other guns but as to other weapons. If these are legal, why not other means of mass destruction?
    Pinkie, two points. 1) Go to a shooting range and fire a gun, you don't know what you are missing, it's a blast(pun not intended) and 2) Assualt rifles aren't really as destructive as some people think, the difference between a semi-auto variant and an assault rifle is a selector switch, assault rifles can fire in either semi-automatic, burst fire, or if the mechanism allows for it a fully auto.

    I can tell you that full auto can be classified as "waste fire" due to the rideup on those particular guns, *if* you land a shot in full auto it's a matter of statistics and not accuracy. Burst fire is more accurate but takes practice to master anticipating the rideup. The reason for full auto is suppression fire, or to better explain it's to keep opposing forces heads down so they can be flanked. That said an automatic isn't a WMD by any stretch, their effective range is less than 750 yards typically and are best served at 250yd or less. Not saying a marksman can't hit anything at around 750 but it's not within the weapon's effective zone.

    There are mounted machine guns that can tear dwellings apart, but it's a stabilization and rate of fire attribute. They all fire similar rounds, most LMGs and MGs fire the 7.62 Nato round which is a "hot round" which is around 1/3cm larger than the .308 which is among the most common hunting rounds in the U.S. The thing about LMGs or "light" machine guns is that they are mobile but suffer from jamming and the same innacuracies as assault rifles and mounted machine guns do no one any good in an all out assault due to weight and immobility. I guess my point is that automatics aren't really all that scary when you learn their capabilities, they have just as many pluses as minuses and aren't really all that conducive to the most common criminal activity and they are far from super weapons.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •