View Poll Results: Would you own an assault Rifle? Why?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! Only crazies own assault rifles.

    15 11.11%
  • No, they are too expensive!

    7 5.19%
  • No, no need to.

    41 30.37%
  • Yes, for self defense

    44 32.59%
  • Yes, for recreation and sport

    52 38.52%
  • Yes, to perform my patriotic duty if the nation is invaded

    43 31.85%
  • Yes, because it's my constiutional right

    45 33.33%
  • Yes, because I'm one of the CRAZIES!!! hahahahaha

    15 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 888

Thread: Why would you own an assault rifle?

  1. #521
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the minions yes-like the multitude of morons in say the million mom march. The leaders-not a chance.
    Let your racist flag fly man!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #522
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    prove it.

    prove that most guns used in crimes were NOT part of a criminal gun-sale enterprise. this is your claim...so prove it.
    That's not how it works. YOU are the one that claimed that criminals get their guns through normal gun dealers. It is your job to PROVE IT. It's called supporting your argument, you know that thing you don't do.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  3. #523
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I love the insanity of your statement. So 100 round mags are defective, but I still want anyone to be able to buy one on the internet and it's a good thing he had one ? If they don't work why do you still want them to be sold? This "slippery slope" BS has gotten ridiculous.
    They are not defective, they are just more likely to jam. This is a fact. Nice try at an insane spin though.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  4. #524
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    That's not how it works. YOU are the one that claimed that criminals get their guns through normal gun dealers. It is your job to PROVE IT. It's called supporting your argument, you know that thing you don't do.
    the vast majority of guns used in crimes that were seized by the NYPD and identified, were originally sold OUT-OF-STATE.

    this is a fact that you cannot deny.

    and here's your evidence, from the NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/16/opinion/16kelly.html

    In New York City, about 90 percent of the guns used in crimes come from out of state
    Last edited by Thunder; 07-30-12 at 12:56 AM.

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Friends, family, the street, borrowed, stolen. Most of these guns aren't purchased through legal means, which is why it's futile to think we can control gun crime with gun control.
    interesting claim.

    got any evidence to support this claim?

  6. #526
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    interesting claim.

    got any evidence to support this claim?
    Yeah, the link I posted earlier in the thread.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #527
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yeah, the link I posted earlier in the thread.
    could you please re-post it?

    thanks.

  8. #528
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,704

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    " The 100 round mag jammed on him. Because bigger mags do that. Had he brought 20 10 round mags and just reloaded, more people would have died as the chance of a jam would have been less."

    I love the insanity of your statement. So 100 round mags are defective, but I still want anyone to be able to buy one on the internet and it's a good thing he had one ? If they don't work why do you still want them to be sold? This "slippery slope" BS has gotten ridiculous.

    And I ask you the same question how many died from his homemade bombs? None at Columbine either. Guns are far more available and just as deadly.

    And why is this nutcases AR-15 so much less culpable that those "evil" weapons that killed Brian Terry?
    A better question would be "Since the shooter started his attack using a shotgun, his AR15 jammed early on and he discarded his AR15 with the extended magazine, reverting to the handgun with which he shot most of his victims, why then do anti-gun morons completely ignore ther facts of the case and focus on banning evil 'assault rifles' and 'extended magazines'?"

    Answer...because they dont GIVE a **** about the facts...or the truth...and ANY opportunity to attack guns is a good opportunity.

  9. #529
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "the U.S. firearm homicide rate is about 20 times higher than in 22 other populous high-income countries combined, despite similar non-lethal crime and violence rates. Unsurprisingly then, they claim that in recent years, among 23 populous, high-income countries, 80 percent of all firearm deaths occurred in the United States. "

    Aurora and the U.S. Obsession with Guns: Leadership Wanted to Fight Political Capture | Brookings Institution
    Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive
    Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?
    A Review of International and Some Domestic Evidence.
    Din B. Kates* and Gary Mauser**


    The study, which just appeared in Volume 30, Number 2 of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (pp. 649-694), set out to answer the question in its title: "Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide? A Review of International and Some Domestic Evidence." Contrary to conventional wisdom, and the sniffs of our more sophisticated and generally anti-gun counterparts across the pond, the answer is "no." And not just no, as in there is no correlation between gun ownership and violent crime, but an emphatic no, showing a negative correlation: as gun ownership increases, murder and suicide decreases.

    The findings of two criminologists - Prof. Don Kates and Prof. Gary Mauser - in their exhaustive study of American and European gun laws and violence rates, are telling:

    Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not. The study found that the nine European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership (5,000 or fewer guns per 100,000 population) have a combined murder rate three times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership (at least 15,000 guns per 100,000 population)
    .
    EDITORIAL: Guns decrease murder rates
    In Washington, the best defense is self-defense
    By THE WASHINGTON TIMES


    More guns in law-abiding hands mean less crime. The District of Columbia proves the point.

    <snip>

    Few who lived in Washington during the 1970s can forget the upswing in crime that started right after the ban was originally passed. In the five years before the 1977 ban, the murder rate fell from 37 to 27 murders per 100,000. In the five years after the gun ban went into effect, the murder rate rose back up to 35. One fact is particularly hard to ignore: D.C.'s murder rate fluctuated after 1976 but only once fell below what it was in 1976 before the ban. That aberration happened years later, in 1985.

    This correlation between the D.C. gun ban and diminished safety was not a coincidence. Look at the Windy City. Immediately after Chicago banned handguns in 1982, the murder rate, which had been falling almost continually for a decade, started to rise. Chicago's murder rate rose relative to other large cities as well. The phenomenon of higher murder rates after gun bans are passed is not just limited to the United States. Every single time a country has passed a gun ban, its murder rate soared.


    <snip>

    Two Little Square Black Dogs: I do not have a gun... I am not a murderer

    ....The LA Times had an article about the The European disdain for America violence but shouldn't spend too much time congratulating themselves. In 2000 the rate at which people where assaulted was higher in England, Scotland, Finland, Denmark and Sweden than in The United States. In the decade since England banned all private possessions of gun the number of gun crimes has gone up.Some of the worst examples of mass gun violence has occurred in Europe from students and teachers killed in Germany, 14 legislators shot in Switzerland to 8 city council members being shot outside of Paris.
    Just recently a taxi driver in Cumbria, England killed 12 people and wounded 11.
    UK is violent crime capital of Europe - Telegraph

    Analysis of figures from the European Commission showed a 77 per cent increase in murders, robberies, assaults and sexual offenses in the UK since Labour came to power.

    The total number of violent offenses recorded compared to population is higher than any other country in Europe, as well as America, Canada, Australia and South Africa.
    The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.
    By James Slack

    Last updated at 12:14 AM on 3rd July 2009




    In the decade following the party's election in 1997, the number of recorded violent attacks soared by 77 per cent to 1.158million - or more than two every minute.

    The figures, compiled from reports released by the European Commission and United Nations, also show:

    • The UK has the second highest overall crime rate in the EU.
    • It has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
    • The UK has the fifth highest robbery rate in the EU.
    • It has the fourth highest burglary rate and the highest absolute number of burglaries in the EU, with double the number of offences than recorded in Germany and France.


    But it is the naming of Britain as the most violent country in the EU that is most shocking. The analysis is based on the number of crimes per 100,000 residents.

    In the UK, there are 2,034 offenses per 100,000 people, way ahead of second-placed Austria with a rate of 1,677.
    The intentional homicide rate shows North America is lower than Eastern Europe, and also lower than the world average, and FAR lower than MANY other regions in the world.

    List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    http://www.parliament.uk/documents/c...9/rp99-111.pdf

    The homicide rate (per capita) in England and Wales was 9.1 in the year 1900, a time when gun control laws were relatively lax. In 2009, when gun laws are of draconian strictness, the homicide rate is 14.1
    This is from an official parliament report.
    GunCite-Gun Accidents

    Fatal gun accidents declined by almost sixty percent from 1975 to 1995, even though the number of guns per capita increased by almost forty percent.

    Fatal gun accidents involving children (aged 0-14) also fell significantly, from 495 in 1975, to under 250 in 1995. More children die from accidental drowning’s or burns than from gun accidents.

    (Gun supply statistics are from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, gun accident rates from the National Safety Council).

  10. #530
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Why would you own an assault rifle?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yeah, the link I posted earlier in the thread.
    could you please repost it?

Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •