View Poll Results: Obama Tax Supporters=What is more Important to You

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saving the tax cuts for yourself (and the rich)

    1 6.25%
  • Sticking it to the rich with a tax hike for everyone

    15 93.75%
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 324

Thread: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

  1. #61
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Actually, I think raising everyone's taxes 5% is an excellent idea.

    My problem with any increase, however, is that we have absolutely no reason to believe the extra revenue will reduce the deficit. Absolutely none.
    Not alone. Anyone serious wants to cut spending an increase taxes. Where we will have real disagreement is where to make the cuts.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am not until the government proves that it can really make cuts-

    I am not until the middle class pays the same share of the income tax as their share of the income
    Cop out. They can do both at the same time, real and backed by law. No one has to accept anything, except the law.

    Oh, and the middle class is taking the biggest beating right now. If anyone needs help, it's them. Working people who can't afford insurance, who are working two, sometimes three jobs. Again, you won't trade places with them, so save the whining for someone who swallows that ****.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 07-25-12 at 03:15 AM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #63
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Cop out. They can do both at the same time, real and backed by law. No one has to accept anything, except the law.

    Oh, and the middle class is taking the biggest beating right now. If anyone needs help, it's them. Working people who can't afford insurance, who are working two, sometimes three jobs. Again, you won't trade places with them, so save the whining for someone who swallows that ****.

    FIne-then raise the taxes on those who are not paying for even what they use

    not on those who are paying for what millons of others use because what you want is to encourage the takers to demand even more

    I want to give them proper feedback so as to lessen their demands to suckle more from the public tit
    Last edited by TurtleDude; 07-25-12 at 09:17 AM.

  4. #64
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Anybody else find it hilarious that democrats will lean on the "there are no jobs" defense in order to justify hiking taxes on the more productive....

    but as soon as you claim that the Stimulus has been a failure and that the Obama administration has been a massive wet blanket on job creation, they loudly insist that in fact there has been turn-around and jobs a-plenty?
    Let me get this straight...A Republican claims the rich are making jobs, I ask where these jobs are, and you decide I am a Democrat who is "Leaning" on some defense?

    1) I am not a Democrat
    2) I still ask where the jobs are.
    3) I am curious how a Republican can blame our President for the lack of jobs, but be unable to defend a claim that the wealthy are creating them.

    Either...Jobs are being created, or they are not....pick one.

  5. #65
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    1) Keeping the Bush/Obama tax rates for the "middle class"

    2) sticking it to the rich with a tax hike
    Oh, but you misunderstand. Obama has no desire to "stick it to the rich". Per his tv commercials, he's only going to raise their taxes a "little bit".
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #66
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Actually, I think raising everyone's taxes 5% is an excellent idea.

    My problem with any increase, however, is that we have absolutely no reason to believe the extra revenue will reduce the deficit. Absolutely none.
    I would nominate this for Post of the Day, but it was yesterday.

    Maybe Post of Yesterday.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    once we're coming out of recession and the economy is on more solid ground, i'd support a return to 1990s rates even if it meant i had to pay more. government is currently underfunded, we borrowed to pay for the wars (and everything else), and we're not doing good things for the dollar right now. since my assets are in dollars, i'd rather have fewer that are worth more than many that aren't worth much.

  8. #68
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,044

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I figured the Obama tax fans would not be able to provide an answer

    what means more to you

    keeping your tax cuts if it means I keep mine

    or sticking it to us "evil rich" but having to suffer a tax hike yourself

    what is more important

    hikes for everyone

    current tax rates for everyone?
    You will not receive any answers that are satisfiable to your standards until your silly preconceived notion that everyone that wants to raise taxes, at all, is only doing it out of hatred. That is a defense mechanism you have created for yourself so that you can always revert back to your typical retorts when any uncomfortable information is presented to you or any uncomfortable questions are asked of you. It is basically a strong-hold type defense against learning anything new or gaining any insight. You might enjoy having this barrier, but you will be better off dropping it.

    As for my opinion, I think it would be smart of us to let the tax cuts expire except for only the poorest amongst us. I can afford to pay a little bit more in taxes and I think the country would be better for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  9. #69
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why do you believe in giving a wasteful bloated government more money when you already admit it would do nothing to reduce the deficit

    why cannot people DEMAND that there be SIGNIFICANT cuts before anyone pays another extra dime to this hog of a government?
    I'm on the same track as you, TD. After thinking about it, I believe that any tax increase on anyone should have to be matched with a cut in spending. That'd fix 'em.

    We all know that giving our government more money just results in them spending more. I think raising everyone's taxes would be a good thing -- because that would/should mean that everyone pays taxes. Those 47% who don't pay any taxes? They could care less. Give 'em some skin in the game and watch 'em squeal.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #70
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not alone. Anyone serious wants to cut spending an increase taxes. Where we will have real disagreement is where to make the cuts.
    What's amusing is that there's not a business or a household in our country that can't make a 5% cut across the board in their spending. Quit arguing and just do it. (Not you. Ha!)

    To believe that our country/state/county/township/village governments are run "lean-and-mean" is an absolute joke.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •