View Poll Results: Obama Tax Supporters=What is more Important to You

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saving the tax cuts for yourself (and the rich)

    1 6.25%
  • Sticking it to the rich with a tax hike for everyone

    15 93.75%
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 324

Thread: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

  1. #271
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Give me a break. This isn't some fantasy world we are living in.

    The legislation is never written the way you envision...it's always written as: Implement increased taxes now...promise to cut a certain amount over a certain period of time. The result: Taxes increase right now...the cuts never happen.

    The only way to end this procedure is to implement spending cuts...with no conditions. Just do it. After we see reduced government spending, THEN...we can talk about tax increases.

    But, of course, as long as there are Democrats around...especially if they control at least one branch of Congress...this'll never happen. The result: What we have now...both sides trying to spin things to make the other side look bad...and nothing getting done.

    So it goes.
    While I'm sure you're wrong about what ahs and hasn't been written, it is neither here nor there. The fact is it can be written. Lacking the will, is no excuse. It either is what needs to be done or it isn't, and you either argue for what is needed, or concede it simply won't be fixed. Neither cuts not raising taxes alone will solve the problem. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #272
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    While I'm sure you're wrong about what ahs and hasn't been written, it is neither here nor there. The fact is it can be written. Lacking the will, is no excuse. It either is what needs to be done or it isn't, and you either argue for what is needed, or concede it simply won't be fixed. Neither cuts not raising taxes alone will solve the problem. Sorry.
    Well, given the established contention between the two Parties, it's a given that neither your solution nor mine will be implemented any time soon...if at all. All we have to look forward to is the government going further down the deficit hole. So I do concede that it won't get fixed.

    On the other hand, I reject the notion that we must raise taxes, while at the same time, cut spending. Frankly, I don't trust Washington to ever cut spending unless they are forced to...therefore raising taxes only serves to give them more money to spend.

    While I don't really want to see it, perhaps a Balanced Budget Amendment is the only thing that will fix things.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #273
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    So what? The Republicans never acted on it...the Democrats did, even though the people told them not to.
    You can try to spin it any way (or color) you want. It doesn't change the fact that a majority of Democrats supported the Public option, which the public supported, vs a majority of Republicans that opposed the public option.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #274
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Well, given the established contention between the two Parties, it's a given that neither your solution nor mine will be implemented any time soon...if at all. All we have to look forward to is the government going further down the deficit hole. So I do concede that it won't get fixed.

    On the other hand, I reject the notion that we must raise taxes, while at the same time, cut spending. Frankly, I don't trust Washington to ever cut spending unless they are forced to...therefore raising taxes only serves to give them more money to spend.

    While I don't really want to see it, perhaps a Balanced Budget Amendment is the only thing that will fix things.
    This is sadly true, but we share some of that blame as voters as well. We've swollowed the vitrol whole and feed the beast. I would prefer holding our leaders feet to the fire, and holding them to working out a solution and not false magic like no tax pledges.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #275
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This is sadly true, but we share some of that blame as voters as well. We've swollowed the vitrol whole and feed the beast. I would prefer holding our leaders feet to the fire, and holding them to working out a solution and not false magic like no tax pledges.
    LOL!!!

    Who the hell cares about no tax pledges?

    The Republicans don't want tax increases because it's the wrong thing to do.

    Talk about "feeding the beast"...that's what you'll get if they raise taxes on anyone. Feeding the government spending beast.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #276
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You can try to spin it any way (or color) you want. It doesn't change the fact that a majority of Democrats supported the Public option, which the public supported, vs a majority of Republicans that opposed the public option.
    ???

    The quote you responded to...with your talk of the public option...was my response about the mandate.

    Two different subjects, eh?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  7. #277
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    LOL!!!

    Who the hell cares about no tax pledges?

    The Republicans don't want tax increases because it's the wrong thing to do.

    Talk about "feeding the beast"...that's what you'll get if they raise taxes on anyone. Feeding the government spending beast.
    There may be some republcians who want government to fail, but I think most want to honor their committment. Whiel feeding the beast was a good sound bite, republicans are aprt of the beast. No way aorund it. But the pledge makes nothing happen. It's like zero tolerance laws; it removes reason from the equation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #278
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    ???

    The quote you responded to...with your talk of the public option...was my response about the mandate.

    Two different subjects, eh?

    You wish to withdraw your comment about the public option now that I've shown a majority of Democrats supported the public option?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #279
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You wish to withdraw your comment about the public option now that I've shown a majority of Democrats supported the public option?
    Not at all.

    Not when the very article you quoted from implied that the support y'all speak of wasn't really there. Oh, yeah...they all publicly express support when there was no chance of getting it...but when they DID have the chance, they are suddenly silent. It was all just political posturing...something the Democrats excel at.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #280
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There may be some republcians who want government to fail, but I think most want to honor their committment. Whiel feeding the beast was a good sound bite, republicans are aprt of the beast. No way aorund it. But the pledge makes nothing happen. It's like zero tolerance laws; it removes reason from the equation.
    1. Seriously, I don't think ANY politician wants the government to fail...not Republicans...not Democrats. But you go right ahead with your hyperbolic insinuations...makes for a good forum post and a good campaign soundbite.

    2. "Feeding the beast" was YOUR soundbite. And, sure, the Republicans are a part of the beast. But, at least, they are trying to put the beast on a diet. The Democrats only want to shovel more down it's throat.

    3. At this point...under these economic conditions...zero tolerance is a good thing if it can break the cycle of spending more and taxing more.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •