View Poll Results: Obama Tax Supporters=What is more Important to You

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saving the tax cuts for yourself (and the rich)

    1 6.25%
  • Sticking it to the rich with a tax hike for everyone

    15 93.75%
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 324

Thread: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is actually more rational than most of the arguments from the far left
    yeah, I'm known for such things.

  2. #92
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post

    we aren't the ones demanding more and more government like the ObamaTaxCare scheme

    You've forgotten that nearly every single Republican voted for the Iraq war vs a majority of Democrats that voted against it.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #93
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You've forgotten that nearly every single Republican voted for the Iraq war vs a majority of Democrats that voted against it.
    that war pales in comparison with the dem "war on poverty" when it comes to costs and creating dependents

  4. #94
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    If you want the wealthy to continue creating jobs, the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy need to be renewed.
    You forgot to add: Like Romney did.

  5. #95
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that war pales in comparison with the dem "war on poverty" when it comes to costs and creating dependents
    The war on poverty reduced poverty and therefore benefited the people of this country without sacrificing 5,000 of our young men and women. How did the GOP war on Iraq benefit the people of this country.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #96
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    if paying down the debt (rather than pandering for votes) really mattered the middle class tax "cuts" would go first since they involve more money
    Ah, but that's not how it works and it's certainly not what most Republicans have been saying about how to generate revenue while also paying down the debt and reducing the deficit. They say jobs equate to consumer spending which in turn generates tax revenue. So, if we are to somehow get to the end point - more revenue - does it not make sense to implement a prudent plan to meet that objective? A plan that consists of:

    1. Raising taxes on the one class of tax payers who have shown themselves to be "recession proof" - the rich?

    2. Keeping marginal tax rates at present levels for those who can least afford a tax increase - the middle-class - thereby allowing them to "keep more of what they earn" so that this, the largest group of consumers can go out and do what consumers do - spend money?

    3. Cut out federal waste and excess spending wherever savings can be found.

    IMO, the President's "balanced approach" concept makes sense.

  7. #97
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The war on poverty reduced poverty and therefore benefited the people of this country without sacrificing 5,000 of our young men and women. How did the GOP war on Iraq benefit the people of this country.
    the war on poverty wasted billions, spent more than the entire worth of the fortune five hundred, created massive intergenerational dependence and massive numbers of robotic dem voters (which was the purpose al along)

  8. #98
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Ah, but that's not how it works and it's certainly not what most Republicans have been saying about how to generate revenue while also paying down the debt and reducing the deficit. They say jobs equate to consumer spending which in turn generates tax revenue. So, if we are to somehow get to the end point - more revenue - does it not make sense to implement a prudent plan to meet that objective? A plan that consists of:

    1. Raising taxes on the one class of tax payers who have shown themselves to be "recession proof" - the rich?

    2. Keeping marginal tax rates at present levels for those who can least afford a tax increase - the middle-class - thereby allowing them to "keep more of what they earn" so that this, the largest group of consumers can go out and do what consumers do - spend money?

    3. Cut out federal waste and excess spending wherever savings can be found.

    IMO, the President's "balanced approach" concept makes sense.
    the interesting point I have made for years that is never addressed is the following

    if the middle class is told that there is a deficit

    and they are told that only the rich should be taxed more to pay for it

    the middle class won't worry about the deficit and they will assume the government can keep on spending on them since the rich will pay the bills

  9. #99
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Actually that is not true. When you start paying as much as us in the top one percent you can claim we are whining

    we aren't the ones demanding more and more government like the ObamaTaxCare scheme
    Yeah, from 35% to 39%, wild crazy ****.

    But I said nothing that wasn't ture. The top would not trade places with those below. The are crying crocodile tears, playing victim. But, they know they don't want to be where others are.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,375

    Re: Obama Tax supporters=what is more important to you

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The GOP will say all or nothing and Obama will to be on record vetoing a bill he signed into law a couple years ago

    that will really help that turd's standing
    Obama will say either defense sequestration cuts go ahead in full or taxes go back to NORMAL for the top bracket. You choose. The Bush tax cuts have always been temporary, I know you think they are the gift that keeps on giving, but the reason they have ALWAYS been temporary is they cost too damn much. You top bracket people have really been cleaning up lately and the "extra" money the Govt. was taking that Bush based the cuts on for those gifts is long gone.
    But you should also remember that you will get the same break the lower brackets get if they keep those cuts at least until the economy has recovered. You will still get the same tax cuts on all your income below $250,000 so don't be so smug about an all or nothing ultimatum. Obama made it VERY clear 2 years ago, those top bracket cuts will NOT be renewed again while he is President. Believe him.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 07-26-12 at 01:40 AM.

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •