View Poll Results: What is te top reason for the current US economic criss?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tax rates on job creators are too high.

    2 3.13%
  • Technology has eliminated many jobs

    1 1.56%
  • Our workforce is not qualified enough to demand high paying jobs in science and technology

    0 0%
  • Competition with cheap overseas labor

    22 34.38%
  • Healthcare reform

    0 0%
  • Too much regulation on business

    10 15.63%
  • Too little regulation on business

    19 29.69%
  • Barack Obama

    10 15.63%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 174

Thread: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

  1. #71
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Because the geeks ended up in control and the ones that used to bully them ended up at the bottom of the scale. Revenge is sweet sometimes.
    Not if you have to become an escapist geek weirdo in order to get revenge. In order to create submissive Cash Cows for capitalists, the indentured-servitude education of geeks turns normal kids into bitter social rejects.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  2. #72
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    It's probably a a combination of factors, but what would you say is the primary reason for the US economic problems?

    A personallly I attribute the greater weight of our situation on cheap overseas labor competing with relative high income American incomes needed due to our higher cost of living that has reached a peak in 2012. You can't buy a nice home in America for $20,000. You can in Mumbai.


    Mumbai Property Rates |Real Estate Mumbai|

    YouTube - Giant Sucking Sound - Ross Perot 1992 Presidential Debate.flv
    Consumer demand.

    Unfortunately, our economy is based mostly on the smoke-and-mirrors that is deficit spending -- by our government and our people. And the people, unlike our government are tapped out. Until they feel comfortable about spending over their heads again, our economy is going to have a mild case of the flu.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Consumer demand.

    Unfortunately, our economy is based mostly on the smoke-and-mirrors that is deficit spending -- by our government and our people. And the people, unlike our government are tapped out. Until they feel comfortable about spending over their heads again, our economy is going to have a mild case of the flu.
    Ah, but think of how good it will be if it recovers without the deficit spending and people spend on real income. Would be much more stable and CEOs of Credit companies wouldn't be drawing such hugh salaries and bonuses. It would probably kill off a large number of credit companies.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Our economy doesn't provide any other options. There are, for example, no "cheap" residences in any substantial sense, whether you are renting or mortgaging.
    One will note that NO pre-civilization people expended 25-30% of their gross effort providing shelter alone.

    Ya built a shelter and were done with it. A couple days or less for nomads, couple weeks for for a cabin.

    We lived in our RV "guerilla" style for a year. Paid $6000 for our attractive classic GMC. Parked in public during the day. Parked overnight residential. Moved every morning.

    Counting fuel, $300/mo for all housing and utilities. Remove the necessity to move constantly it drops to about a hundred.

    Park it in a legal park it goes up to about the cost of an apartment (imagine that).
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's definitely not true.
    The expectations of individuals is higher than that.

    You could build an insulated "shed" home, on 1 acre or less, with electricity and plumbing, on the cheap.
    It's just that most people don't want to do that.
    Permits ALONE here in San Diego start at $100,000.

    An "efficiency" apartment here with a toilet in the room and community showers is $600/mo.

    Nearly half of a full time, low wage job.

    Cost of living varies, but 25% of gross is "rule of thumb" for budgeting rent.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #76
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Permits ALONE here in San Diego start at $100,000.

    An "efficiency" apartment here with a toilet in the room and community showers is $600/mo.

    Nearly half of a full time, low wage job.

    Cost of living varies, but 25% of gross is "rule of thumb" for budgeting rent.
    One of the reasons I finally gave up and left California seven years ago. Even with steady income increases, it never seemed to matter. Always seemed that the best I could hope for was to tread water financially. The best! I was never going to actually gain anything.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    One of the reasons I finally gave up and left California seven years ago. Even with steady income increases, it never seemed to matter. Always seemed that the best I could hope for was to tread water financially. The best! I was never going to actually gain anything.
    What sucks is I've always lived here. Since I was two monts old.

    Used to be a pretty quiet military town.

    Then the Money found us and its been downhill from there.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #78
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Permits ALONE here in San Diego start at $100,000.

    An "efficiency" apartment here with a toilet in the room and community showers is $600/mo.

    Nearly half of a full time, low wage job.

    Cost of living varies, but 25% of gross is "rule of thumb" for budgeting rent.
    Which is one of the many reasons I wouldn't want to ever live in California.
    The place is a cost of living nightmare.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    óAdam Shepard

  9. #79
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Permits ALONE here in San Diego start at $100,000.

    An "efficiency" apartment here with a toilet in the room and community showers is $600/mo.

    Nearly half of a full time, low wage job.

    Cost of living varies, but 25% of gross is "rule of thumb" for budgeting rent.
    In HS in the 70's we were taught to allocate 25% of our budget for housing, not counting utilities.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #80
    Professor
    Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    09-09-13 @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    FAIL - WAR NOT INCLUDED IN POLL ...

    *Author Stephen Glain: $10 Trillion missing from Pentagon since 1991* :* Information Clearing House News

    Report: Military Blew $1 Trillion on Weapons Since 9/11 | Mother Jones

    The War On Waste - CBS News


    "At this point in history when the degree of wealth inequality has reached such staggering proportions that the richest 400 people have the same wealth as the bottom 154,000,000 people, when unemployment and foreclosures rates are high, when tens of millions canít afford health care and students canít afford to go to college, those in power are fearful that the people will rise up."

    OCCUPY: Infiltration of Political Movements is the Norm, Not the Exception in the United States.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I think you are right that it is a combination of factors, but I would have to say the top reason is the financial deregulation over the last 30 years. Especially the dismantling of the firewall that used to separate investment banks and commercial banks which allowed the creation of banks too big to fail.
    Yes - a combination of manipulated factors. As in how long could Bush and the GOP could suppress facts about housing bubbles and the coming banking collapse until he was out of office. According to Tim Geitners Congressional testimony , they knew and I quote - "There were significant problems with the banks," as far back as 2005.

    Also - how many markets are being gamed is examined further ...

    Libor Is Not the Only Manipulated Economic Number | ZeroHedge

    Budget Buster: Pentagon Unable to Account for

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •