View Poll Results: What is te top reason for the current US economic criss?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tax rates on job creators are too high.

    2 3.13%
  • Technology has eliminated many jobs

    1 1.56%
  • Our workforce is not qualified enough to demand high paying jobs in science and technology

    0 0%
  • Competition with cheap overseas labor

    22 34.38%
  • Healthcare reform

    0 0%
  • Too much regulation on business

    10 15.63%
  • Too little regulation on business

    19 29.69%
  • Barack Obama

    10 15.63%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 174

Thread: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

  1. #51
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    "Competition with cheap overseas labor"

    Is this a euphemism? Cheap overseas labor? Well that rules out all of south/central America cause technically they aren't oversea.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  2. #52
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Suggesting that some people buy smaller homes, is some how going to tank the whole economy and throw the world in chaos.
    Your argument was completely and utterly ridiculous, so much so, that you had to go to extremes in order to make it.
    There are no rhetorical extremes. It's exactly what would happen. There are no other possible outcomes. None of the organizations, people, or industries I mentioned could behave in a different way, which is one reason why public policy on both sides of the aisle stays far away from promoting "your" extreme take on personal fiscal responsibility.

    It creates a new industry of smaller home purchases.
    The fact is, people don't need multi-room, expansive homes to function.

    You're argument was completely ridiculous.
    Which automatically and immediately acclimates to the economic needs of the industries that currently depend on large home purchases, global and domestic. With no depression or social upheaval ensuing from the displacement.

    Again, a minor blow to the "large home purchases" spurred the decline the global economy has been experiencing for the past four years. What you are suggesting is to destroy it by bypassing it. Even if this happened slowly (which isn't a guarantee since what you are suggesting would be a cultural and economic movement occurring in the private sector).

    My argument is rooted in sense, logic, and history both recent and ancient.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 07-24-12 at 06:37 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  3. #53
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    There are no rhetorical extremes. It's exactly what would happen. There are no other possible outcomes. None of the organizations, people, or industries I mentioned could behave in a different way, which is one reason why public policy on both sides of the aisle stays far away from promoting "your" extreme take on personal fiscal responsibility.
    You said housing costs have gotten out of control, I offered an example of how someone could avoid high costs.
    You then proceeded to say, "if everyone did that..."

    Everyone, won't do that.
    You had to go to extremes in order to make an argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Which automatically and immediately acclimates to the economic needs of the industries that currently depend on large home purchases, global and domestic. With no depression or social upheaval ensuing from the displacement.

    Again, a minor blow to the "large home purchases" spurred the decline the global economy has been experiencing for the past four years. What you are suggesting is to destroy it by bypassing it. Even if this happened slowly (which isn't a guarantee since what you are suggesting would be a cultural and economic movement occurring in the private sector).

    My argument is rooted in sense, logic, and history both recent and ancient.
    No it isn't.
    You had to create an extreme, which won't exist, in order to make your argument.
    Your position is rooted in....nothing really.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #54
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Mobile homes are tornado magnets.



    Seriously, they can be quite nice, absolutely.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,433

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Red herring. The housing industry and how it is priced, functions, and relates to the rest of the economy is too elaborate for these kinds of simple morals.
    Fundamentally we do not need the average home size we had then, or even now. You're clearly on the wrong side of that argument.

    If that industry did not grow and receive so much investment, what would have happened? It could not have busted, because it wouldn't have bubbled, so that doomsday scenario is illogical. OK, so where would all that investment have gone?

    Maybe diversified in a lot of industries rather than so concentrated in real estate? And you think that's NOT a good thing?
    And the finance industry would have likewise been more diversified, rather than so heavily invested in real estate, that was bubbled? And this is bad?

    People lived beyond their means is why it was as bad as it was. We can also point to bad lending to people so that they can live beyond their means, but ultimately people drove that choice to buy something they could not afford under worst case market conditions. Most idiots who read anything on retirement planning, understand that their retirement investment must take into account worst case market conditions...but the general wisdom on investing hundreds of thousands in real estate didn't factor that in? It failed as it should fail, it was stupid.

  6. #56
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    My best guess:
    Globalization, with a significant loss of manufacturing jobs over the past 15-20 years.
    Lax regulations on business, and cheap labor overseas.
    An aging population with more individuals depending on government for their subsistence.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #57
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    One huge problem is the very nature of the raw money system and its capitalist method of management to attract the most disaffected, emotionally detached utilitarians to positions of power where they create a Darwinianly extreme rabid dog-eat-dog socioeconomic environment at the expense of the quality of life for the masses.

    The solution isn't to replace the money system and capitalism, at least not at this point, but to instead refine the rawness out of it a bit by putting governing limits on many aspects of investor and corporate behavior, so as to make the system less rewarding and attractive to sociopaths.

    Another huge problem is the continuing rate of population increase, currently putting the planet on target to add the equivalent of both another China and India by 2050, with a considerable percentage increase occurring here in the states.

    The solution is to make people aware of the hell on earth that will cause so as to quickly motivate a steep rate of population decrease and present people with the necessary technology to 100% safely and effectively prevent creating undesired conceptions.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  8. #58
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    You said housing costs have gotten out of control, I offered an example of how someone could avoid high costs.
    You then proceeded to say, "if everyone did that..."

    Everyone, won't do that.
    You had to go to extremes in order to make an argument
    "Everyone" would be required to do it to avoid private debt at its current levels. Or rather, too many people would have to do it to avoid incurring private debt to an economically meaningful degree. I think the more important numbers were the millions.

    And it assumes that private debt has little usefulness in a capitalist society. Private debt was great until wages flat lined, when the goal was to keep someone on the doll during the younger period of their life and then let them go. Now it is to keep people in debt perpetually.

    Fundamentally we do not need the average home size we had then, or even now. You're clearly on the wrong side of that argument.
    In terms of what? In terms of personal comfort, no, but even there there are issues at stake. In terms of how industries function, clearly they needed both to grow and not fail to remain strong. Because they didn't become weak themselves until it stopped growing and failed.

    If that industry did not grow and receive so much investment, what would have happened? It could not have busted, because it wouldn't have bubbled, so that doomsday scenario is illogical. OK, so where would all that investment have gone?
    What are you even suggesting or implying? This isn't a nationalized economy. No single person or agency controls what products gain traction in value or what becomes economically important.

    Maybe diversified in a lot of industries rather than so concentrated in real estate? And you think that's NOT a good thing?
    And the finance industry would have likewise been more diversified, rather than so heavily invested in real estate, that was bubbled? And this is bad?
    I wasn't defending the situation with the housing market from a moral point of view, I was pointing out dependencies and arrangements on a global scale that were being overlooked. In terms of how things "should" work I've kept my own counsel.

    People lived beyond their means is why it was as bad as it was. We can also point to bad lending to people so that they can live beyond their means, but ultimately people drove that choice to buy something they could not afford under worst case market conditions. Most idiots who read anything on retirement planning, understand that their retirement investment must take into account worst case market conditions...but the general wisdom on investing hundreds of thousands in real estate didn't factor that in? It failed as it should fail, it was stupid.
    The system didn't truly fail because it got bailed out. While it may have been stupid and deserved to fail, it was too central to global financial operations.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 07-24-12 at 07:26 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  9. #59
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    "Everyone" would be required to do it to avoid private debt at its current levels. Or rather, too many people would have to do it to avoid incurring private debt to an economically meaningful degree. I think the more important numbers were the millions.
    No they wouldn't.
    There are other factors in levels of private debt.

    Vehicles and vehicle loans, pre recession were outrageous.
    People were buying new cars at a rate of 1 per 2 years, while average vehicle loans were at 5 years.
    There were loads of other debt issues at play.

    Not to mention the varying incomes of the population at large and the varying levels of debt affordability.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #60
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    No they wouldn't.
    There are other factors in levels of private debt.

    Vehicles and vehicle loans, pre recession were outrageous.
    People were buying new cars at a rate of 1 per 2 years, while average vehicle loans were at 5 years.
    There were loads of other debt issues at play.

    Not to mention the varying incomes of the population at large and the varying levels of debt affordability.
    My arguments apply to automobile industry similarly.

    The housing market was more of a case study, since it is just part of a broader trend in multiple industries.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 07-24-12 at 07:36 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •