View Poll Results: What is te top reason for the current US economic criss?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tax rates on job creators are too high.

    2 3.13%
  • Technology has eliminated many jobs

    1 1.56%
  • Our workforce is not qualified enough to demand high paying jobs in science and technology

    0 0%
  • Competition with cheap overseas labor

    22 34.38%
  • Healthcare reform

    0 0%
  • Too much regulation on business

    10 15.63%
  • Too little regulation on business

    19 29.69%
  • Barack Obama

    10 15.63%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 174

Thread: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    We are looking at a 7 year old doublewide for sale in town on 1 acre for $59K, if the oldest daughter will buy it (as an investment). At 58 & 60 we would rent it from her and maintain the place, but at our ages it makes little sense to buy anything for ourselves.
    That's not a bad price.
    My in laws tried to unload that trailer on us for $70k plus moving it.
    They had to sell the land.

    I definitely walked on that deal.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #42
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Lack of greatness. We, as a country, have lost the will to succeed.
    No, we haven't lost the will to succeed, we've lost any interest in competing. We think that we ought to be handed first prize just for bothering to show up. Nobody understands that what made America great was that we outproduced and outworked everyone else. We're too lazy to do that today.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #43
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Poll: What is te top reason for the current US economic criss?
    Tax rates on job creators are too high.
    Technology has eliminated many jobs
    Our workforce is not qualified enough to demand high paying jobs in science and technology
    Competition with cheap overseas labor
    Healthcare reform
    Too much regulation on business
    Too little regulation on business
    Barack Obama
    [x] An ongoing financial crisis in Europe, made worse by a vindictive German government and an ECB committed to doing a horrible job, continues to drag down markets all around the world.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #44
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, we haven't lost the will to succeed, we've lost any interest in competing. We think that we ought to be handed first prize just for bothering to show up. Nobody understands that what made America great was that we outproduced and outworked everyone else. We're too lazy to do that today.
    The prize for competing and working hard was extremely clear to both of my grandfathers and their generations.

    The same situation is not in effect today. When my maternal grandfather worked in manufacturing and eventually rose to plant supervisor, the position came with a number of benefits that justified the work he put into his job. Now the position and the benefits are either gone from employment or vanishing. Nowadays hard work is anticipated from employees as a matter of course.

    Very problematic. Various aspects of the American economy don't fit with globalism and other trends. The result is decay and then chaos.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 07-24-12 at 06:00 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  5. #45
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The prize for competing and working hard was extremely clear to both of my grandfathers and their generations.

    The same situation is not in effect today.
    Of course not, America has been liberalized. We don't have to work for anything anymore, the government gives it to us for free just for waking up in the morning. They owe us everything.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #46
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    You are aware that "more walls, rooms, etc" are the only things setting us apart from the Dark Ages? The fact people want and are capable of such things is what spurs the technological and economic advancement of civilization to begin with.
    First part is just laughable.

    People being able to think forwardly is what spurs economic advancement and technology.
    Having multi-room, expansive homes is a luxury.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    If your proposal became the cultural and economic norm for avoiding the private debt that is plunging the middle class into poverty, expect the following consequences:

    (1) Housing sector utterly destroyed
    (2) Financing sector heavily damaged
    (3) All venture capitalism destroyed as a result of (2)
    (4) Broader economic recession due to (1), (2), and (3) to a lesser extent
    (4) Increased social unrest due to perceptions that the political and economic elite forced the general population to such extremes to survive in accordance with pre-existing trends, as well as to capture a larger share of what can still be had
    (5) Bigger, more intrusive government to address an increasingly unruly and transient population
    (6) Disorder on an international scale due to the recessions and political upheaval in the nation with the greatest influence in the world
    (7) American enemies and rivals suffer themselves, but also make military, economic, and diplomatic strides in the power vaccum -- both due to (6), paving the way for a formation of a world order very hostile to a vastly weakened United States

    Pretty much everything about the "New World Order" depends on Americans not just wanting to "beat the Joneses", but also being able to do it.
    Yea that's just a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #47
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    First part is just laughable.
    Oh. Brilliantly argued. You showed me.

    People being able to think forwardly is what spurs economic advancement and technology.
    Tautology. Or truism, to be less philosophical. Either way a red herring.

    Having multi-room, expansive homes is a luxury.
    Red herring. The housing industry and how it is priced, functions, and relates to the rest of the economy is too elaborate for these kinds of simple morals.

    Yea that's just a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense.
    The skillfulness of these arguments humbles us all.

    If a few million people defaulting on their home loans sends the interrelated housing and banking industries (both being part of the financing sector) to the edge of bankruptcy (circa 2008), and that sends the global economy into a persistent recession that hasn't lifted 4 years later, then what do you think the consequences would be if even ten million people decided to avoid participating in the industry to steer clear of the private debt that ensues from becoming involved with it? If a simple recession causes the formation of a grassroots movements and protests, then wouldn't the consequences of a more economically damaging development have correspondingly more dangerous parallels? Especially when these same cycles have occurred in human history countless times.

    There is no mystery or "conspiracy" here (you seem to fail to understand what a conspiracy is, since I wasn't assigning agency or responsibility to a specific covert organization -- a more sensible insult would be "alarmist nonsense"). It's how civilization functions.

    I'm not even going to get into the fact the crediting industry would fail, another blow to the financing sector that forms such a large part of our economy.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 07-24-12 at 06:25 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #48
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    The coercive market distortion encouraging consumption and debt.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  9. #49
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Oh. Brilliantly argued. You showed me.
    Correct, the argument you presented was so retarded, all I could do was laugh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Tautology. Or truism, to be less philosophical. Either way a red herring.
    Yes.
    You want quality yet you post nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Red herring. The housing industry and how it is priced, functions, and relates to the rest of the economy is too elaborate for these kinds of simple morals.
    Suggesting that some people buy smaller homes, is some how going to tank the whole economy and throw the world in chaos.
    Your argument was completely and utterly ridiculous, so much so, that you had to go to extremes in order to make it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The skillfulness of these arguments humbles us all.

    If a few million people defaulting on their home loans sends the interrelated housing and banking industries (both being part of the financing sector) to the edge of bankruptcy (circa 2008), and that sends the global economy into a persistent recession that hasn't lifted 4 years later, then what do you think the consequences would be if even ten million people decided to avoid participating in the industry to steer clear of the private debt that ensues from becoming involved with it?

    I'm not even going to get into the fact the crediting industry would fail, another blow to the financing sector that forms such a large part of our economy.
    It creates a new industry of smaller home purchases.
    The fact is, people don't need multi-room, expansive homes to function.

    You're argument was completely ridiculous.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #50
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Just to back up some things here.
    The average home has than doubled in size, since the 1950s, yet U.S. families are getting smaller.
    Clearly Armageddon is upon us, by suggesting that people live in smaller homes.

    Behind the Ever-Expanding American Dream House : NPR

    Census: U.S. household size shrinking - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience - NBCNews.com
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •