View Poll Results: What is te top reason for the current US economic criss?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tax rates on job creators are too high.

    2 3.13%
  • Technology has eliminated many jobs

    1 1.56%
  • Our workforce is not qualified enough to demand high paying jobs in science and technology

    0 0%
  • Competition with cheap overseas labor

    22 34.38%
  • Healthcare reform

    0 0%
  • Too much regulation on business

    10 15.63%
  • Too little regulation on business

    19 29.69%
  • Barack Obama

    10 15.63%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 174

Thread: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

  1. #131
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I hunted down the article that went with the first graph and, yes, it's adjusted. When I asked earlier if the first graph was inflation adjusted I was ignored. Considering what that usually means around here you'll forgive me if I assumed it wasn't.


    I never argued that American manufacturing wasn't being automated. To me that's obvious. I remember taking a tour of the Ford plant here when I was young. They had just installed the first "robots" and I'll never forget that image. Back then automation - really, computer control of any kind - was new.
    I couldn't find any notation about the first one being inflation adjusted, so I found a second that was.
    I was trying to go with your standards.

    Some robots really suck (automated painting and inter plant delivery robots I've seen), others not so much.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #132
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    What are the break downs by ethnicity for these factors?

    How many of these countries even have anything close to the racial diversity that we have?
    You're going to use the race card here? Really?


    As for the other problems we have, you seem to be trying to separate physical and psychological health and I'm not sure that's appropriate. Last time I checked alcoholism and drug abuse were medical issues. Other things listed are obviously medical issues.

    If you'd like to factor in our traffic accidents I can accept that - have at it and be sure to factor them in for other countries as well. I think you'll find not much will change.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 07-29-12 at 05:56 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #133
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    02-22-13 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    203

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Hey, where's the 'the rest of the global economy is just as screwed' option, or for that matter the 'American government is completely paralysed' one?

  4. #134
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Stagnant wages, the tempering of money velocity, debt at the personal level, and ongoing layoffs at the state and local level.

  5. #135
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I couldn't find any notation about the first one being inflation adjusted, so I found a second that was.
    I was trying to go with your standards.

    Some robots really suck (automated painting and inter plant delivery robots I've seen), others not so much.
    An interesting tid-bit I found while wandering around in this field. It might explain why people think they way they do.

    Manufacturing’s Declining Share of GDP
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    You're going to use the race card here? Really?
    Absolutely, there are inherent differences between ethnicities. Blacks, for example, have much higher instances of Hypertension. Comparisons from what are essentially mono-ethnic countries vs diverse-ethnic do need to factor those in.

    Here is some data on the US broken down by race. http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0118.pdf

    As you can see from the charts there, some races have different health concerns. Check out Alzheimers, 6th leading cause of death in whites, but drops to 14th for blacks, 13 for Native Americans, 10 for Asians and 12 for hispanics. Diabetes kills at much higher rates in Native Americans and Blacks than in whites and Asians or Hispanics. Cancer is the leading cause of death for Asians, but Heart Desease for everyone else, and the percent of death to cancer is highest amongst Asians and lowest amongst Native Americans.

    Any healthcares system that only has to focus on one race does not have to meet the challenges of a multi-racial soceity.

  7. #137
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Absolutely, there are inherent differences between ethnicities. Blacks, for example, have much higher instances of Hypertension. Comparisons from what are essentially mono-ethnic countries vs diverse-ethnic do need to factor those in.

    Here is some data on the US broken down by race. http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0118.pdf

    As you can see from the charts there, some races have different health concerns. Check out Alzheimers, 6th leading cause of death in whites, but drops to 14th for blacks, 13 for Native Americans, 10 for Asians and 12 for hispanics. Diabetes kills at much higher rates in Native Americans and Blacks than in whites and Asians or Hispanics. Cancer is the leading cause of death for Asians, but Heart Desease for everyone else, and the percent of death to cancer is highest amongst Asians and lowest amongst Native Americans.

    Any healthcares system that only has to focus on one race does not have to meet the challenges of a multi-racial soceity.
    That is the lamest excuse I've seen yet for paying more to get worse health care.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #138
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    We are doing well, thanks....
    and you and yours?
    You claim to be a liberal, let me guide you away from the left leaning dark side of politics, in the direction of the right leaning of the dark side, but not all the way, you need to stop in the middle, where we modern moderates live. We know that the truth does not exist without bias from either end of the bell cruve of politics, but in the middle.
    Read both, listen to detractors, then use your intellect.
    That's what I did. We are doing well thanks!



    As for the cost of your insurance, I suggest shopping around...I had a short period of time where I was without employer provided insurance and age 60, when my Navy Reserve retirement and benefits kicked in. With a short history of colon cancer in the family, my father, and 3 of his kids having had precancerous polyps removed, I got a major medical policy for pretty cheap. It was just for me, of course, as my wife had her coverage where she worked. Adding me to her plan would have been very expensive, so I went to BCBS. My policy covered annual physical exam plus related lab work completely, no copay or deductible....but any actuall illness would have cost me $5K before they started paying.
    I know people who willingly pay $1K per month for a policy with no copay, no deductible....even after being shown the expense is not needed. My son, works same school district my wife retired from, has his wife and 3 kids on a major medical policy for about $450 per month, $1500 deductible and no copay, then all is paid at 100%, and the oldest child is costing the insurance company plenty. She is the one with the brain tumors, the original or first one is inoperable, the new one was major surgery. Quarterly MRI exams are needed, and are expensive.
    And remember, a salesman doesn't make much money selling you what you want or need, unless he has it.
    So, most of the time, expect the salesman to steer you to what he has in stock, not what is best for you.
    I have shopped around and switched to a lower cost provider only to have 3 rate increases over the next two years that put me back to where I was. It makes no sense to keep our antiquated health care system that due to overhead and administration costs, has become unaffordable for a large segment of our population. Canada, when they upgraded to UHC found that the overhead/administrative cost by Blue Cross and Blue Shield in just one state here, was enough to run the health care system in their whole country.
    Last edited by Catawba; 07-29-12 at 08:37 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #139
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    It's probably a a combination of factors, but what would you say is the primary reason for the US economic problems?

    A personallly I attribute the greater weight of our situation on cheap overseas labor competing with relative high income American incomes needed due to our higher cost of living that has reached a peak in 2012. You can't buy a nice home in America for $20,000. You can in Mumbai. ...
    We just purchased a home in Phoenix for $92,111 (hoa fee 500/yr). 1543 sq ft, 3 br 2 bath, tile roof, large two car garage, clean water, heat pump, huge maintained park, small kids park, paved roads w/ sidewalks detached, low crime, quality schools, etc. I can't find out if you actually can buy that in Mumbai for anything like $20 k. Please help me with someting in Mumbai actually described in some detail.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 07-30-12 at 12:48 PM.

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: What is the top reason for the current US economic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    That is the lamest excuse I've seen yet for paying more to get worse health care.
    Apparently you got lost following the track. That post is related to variations in "statistics" that some want to use to prove their theory of how others have better healthcare. They want to take statistics like life expentancy and just use it as a measure of how good a healthcare system is without taking into account what causes might actually cause a difference in the statistics.

    Most of my life, I have had Government run healthcare, Military doctors and now VA. On a few rare occasion, I was able to get care outside of these government run systems and difference in care provided is tremendous. I would not want to force a government run system on anybody. Does our healthcare cost more, sure, but I have seen the differences and we get a lot more. But unless people actually have experienced that difference or are willing to take into account all factors related to statistics that they see as proving the opposite, they cannot ever see that.
    Last edited by DVSentinel; 07-30-12 at 12:37 PM.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •