View Poll Results: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police raid?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 66.67%
  • No

    1 2.38%
  • Maybe

    11 26.19%
  • other

    2 4.76%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police raid?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I don't agree. Just because you are convicted of "a crime" that does not mean police get to destroy and take your property. If a door is broken in after the person refused to open it or it for a MAJOR felony, no the police/government doesn't have to pay. But tearing up furniture and then find some personal use pot justifies it? No.
    I don't give a **** if it is a MAJOR felony or not.

    Regardless the level of crime that would require a warrant, you don't have the right to refuse to open the door and then have your door replaced because you weren't compliant.

    Being wanted for a lower crime does not give one the right to resist police.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    And maybe that violence would be a lot less of a problem if we stopped wasting police power on hunting down contraband and actually focused on catching violent criminals like the aforementioned thugs and rapists.
    What don't you get about violent criminals? They have something in common.


    Drug problems.

    Investigating violent crime doesn't take nearly as much property destruction or confiscation as hunting down contraband does.
    And most of the time, unfortunately, and contrary to popular TV programming, alot of violent crimes result in, "Leads Exhausted" status. Its when we work these drug investigations that someone decides, oh, I know about such and such shooting. Which generates a lead, and creates an opportunity for us to solve the case, all because asshole had a few crack rocks on him.


    Tearing apart a home looking for drugs, taking someone's car because they drove it while carrying drugs, taking someone's computer because they torrented a new song... this is a ridiculous thing to send police to do when 15-20% of all women in this country will be raped sometime in their lives. Hunting down rapists doesn't require the same types of police actions as hunting contraband.
    Hunting down rapists requires leads. I think you very significantly fail to understand how rape investigations work, or any investigation for that matter. I also think you fail to understand how it is impossible for a patrol officer to say, "I think I'll go hunt me down a rapist tonight" Considering rape happens 98% of the time INDOORS and also virtually all the time between people who know each other. So you can't police to come kick your door in to check to make sure you aren't getting raped at that moment?




    So, a lot of this destruction and taking of property is only conducted in pursuit of what ought to be a secondary function of police. So, as I said, if we stop wasting police efforts on secondary purposes, this will be a moot issue until they actually catch all the rapists, murderers, and violent criminals, and no one can get away with such crimes anymore.
    I love to see it when people act as if because this group of officers over THERE are executing search warrants on drug cases, that these guys up there in that office aren't chasing down leads on a Burglary, Robbery, Homicide, Sexual Assault, Child Abduction, etc.


    Your failure to understand how drugs are usually at the center of 3 of the above listed major felonies, and why drug investigations are helpful in solving these types of cases.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #43
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    And yet if illegal drug deals are the cause of most of this violent crime, you don't see the benefit in drugs NOT being associated with crime? There's not a lot of people getting killed in illegal liquor deals, are there? Because you can buy liquor legally and don't have to go through crooks to get it. If there's no more illegal drug trade, than according to your own words, Caine, a lot of violent crime won't happen.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #44
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    It's is often said that the seriously real issue with drugs is not so much the use, nor so much the crime while used... not saying those are unimportant, mind you... but rather the crime associated with the "marketing" and distribution.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    And yet if illegal drug deals are the cause of most of this violent crime, you don't see the benefit in drugs NOT being associated with crime? There's not a lot of people getting killed in illegal liquor deals, are there? Because you can buy liquor legally and don't have to go through crooks to get it. If there's no more illegal drug trade, than according to your own words, Caine, a lot of violent crime won't happen.
    Now you have figured out the CORRECT side of the Drug Law argument.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #46
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Some nuances or possible minor exceptions to the exceptions, sure.

    As far as paying for mistaken addresses, my main point is that there shouldn't even be a question about it. No resistance. Ne hedging. Just do it. Personally, I think even a formal apology is in order, but I know that asking a lot.
    I agree with that.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    The police/justice system had better be more careful....I think they are trying to be...If they raid an obvious nest of criminals, then those perpetrators had best have thick wallets, for they will lose everything.

  8. #48
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Now you have figured out the CORRECT side of the Drug Law argument.
    Then what were we arguing about in the first place? A lot of the damage to property that we're discussing in this thread takes place in the investigation of drug crimes. Allow a legal channel for obtaining drugs, similarly to how alcohol and tobacco are handled, and the drug crimes will disappear, since the consumers of drugs (and, of course, make possession and use legal) will purchase them legally. No more drug crime, no more drug busts, no more property destroyed or seized searching for drugs. No more chopping up the Fourth Amendment, either.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #49
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,680

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should home owners/renters be reimbursed from damage that occurred during a police raid?

    Yes
    No
    Maybe
    other


    I say yes the individual should be compensated. If law enforcement destroys and or damages property the the property owner/renter should be compensated.
    I think that they should. But the city sees it as a part of the "necessary carrying out of the job"; it's just like when a fire department destroys half your home to put your stove out . . .
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  10. #50
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Then what were we arguing about in the first place? A lot of the damage to property that we're discussing in this thread takes place in the investigation of drug crimes. Allow a legal channel for obtaining drugs, similarly to how alcohol and tobacco are handled, and the drug crimes will disappear, since the consumers of drugs (and, of course, make possession and use legal) will purchase them legally. No more drug crime, no more drug busts, no more property destroyed or seized searching for drugs. No more chopping up the Fourth Amendment, either.
    Talk to your politicians then.
    Its the job of law enforcement to enforce the laws, not write them.
    There are many involved in law enforcement that are supportive of drug laws. There are many in law enforcement that are not.
    There are many outside of law enforcement that are supportive of drug laws. There are many that are not.

    Until such time as there are legal channels made to allow users to get their fix, there will be violent crime related to drugs, and there will be drug enforcement as an added way of law enforcement to attempt to control the problem.

    Law enforcement refusing to enforce the drug laws, while the black market drug trade is still necessary due to it being impossible to pick up a pack of factory rolled marijuana joints or cocaine packaged in sleeves similar to Goody's Powder at the local Bi-Lo, then you have the violence associated with the black market trade, and you have more violent crimes because people responsible who don't get caught for the violent crimes are also not getting taken off the streets because they slipped up and got caught with drugs.
    Last edited by Caine; 07-22-12 at 08:49 AM.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •