View Poll Results: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police raid?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 66.67%
  • No

    1 2.38%
  • Maybe

    11 26.19%
  • other

    2 4.76%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police raid?

  1. #21
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Im going to stick my neck out here....Today it seems every individual wants what THEY personally believe police should do under any given circumstances. There are so many varying opinions on how wrong any Police Activity is...Individuals seem to believe today that they have a RIGHT to tell the police what they should and shouldnt be allowed to do and how they should do whatever they do....YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT...what you have a right to do, is make a lawyer rich and take it to court...thats a right youve ALWAYS had and its the same one you have today.

    Do Drs make mistakes ? yes they are human...what is your recourse? Make a lawyer rich. Do any other profession that deals directly with other humans make mistakes ? Yes, whats your recourse, Make a lawyer rich....Do lawyers make mistakes? No...they lie their way out most of their mistakes

  2. #22
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So you want a homeowner/renter to wait several months to a couple of years before they get reimbursed for the damaged caused to their property? Seeing how we are innocent until proven guilty I do not think it should matter if there isn't or is a conviction.Innocent people shouldn't get their property trashed and not be compensated for the damage caused.
    Yes, I do want them to wait a reasonable amount of time (most charges are put together in less than 2 months). The police should not be responsible for damages caused during the collection of evidence when that evidence results in conviction. They would essentially be paying the criminal for committing crime.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    I believe police should always pay for the damage they do. Doesn't matter if it is right house or not, they should pay if they destroy anything.

    The only exception is if the suspect is the cause of the action. If he blocks the door, then police don't need to pay for his broken door.

  4. #24
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should home owners/renters be reimbursed from damage that occurred during a police raid?

    Yes
    No
    Maybe
    other


    I say yes the individual should be compensated. If law enforcement destroys and or damages property the the property owner/renter should be compensated.
    Depends on where responsibility rests. Shocking as it may be, coming from me anyway, police aren't always in the wrong. Sometimes **** has to get wrecked to gather evidence.
    Last edited by Surtr; 07-19-12 at 10:28 AM.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #25
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    If the police did not really have probable cause, or skipped some step in obtaining a warrant, or went beyond the type of search they were authorized to do, or basically did anything fishy, then yes. If the police followed the rules and did not use excessive force, then no. Police would have to do a cost analysis every time they went after someone, and would render them too weak.

    HOWEVER!! Most of this crap, searches and confiscation of property, wouldn't be an issue if we weren't expending most police power on hunting down drug users and small time pot dealers. Like a lot of the problems with police these days, this would be a moot problem if we ended drug prohibition.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Yes, I do want them to wait a reasonable amount of time (most charges are put together in less than 2 months). The police should not be responsible for damages caused during the collection of evidence when that evidence results in conviction. They would essentially be paying the criminal for committing crime.
    Or just paying part of his/her fines for him/her.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    If the police did not really have probable cause, or skipped some step in obtaining a warrant, or went beyond the type of search they were authorized to do, or basically did anything fishy, then yes. If the police followed the rules and did not use excessive force, then no. Police would have to do a cost analysis every time they went after someone, and would render them too weak.

    HOWEVER!! Most of this crap, searches and confiscation of property, wouldn't be an issue if we weren't expending most police power on hunting down drug users and small time pot dealers. Like a lot of the problems with police these days, this would be a moot problem if we ended drug prohibition.
    And there it is....

    I was wondering when the pot users and small time dealers argument would come in........

    Pot users buy from small time dealers who buy from big time suppliers/traffickers.....

    OR... just Johnny B up the street growing plants in his mom's basement..... whichever...
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #28
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    If the police did not really have probable cause, or skipped some step in obtaining a warrant, or went beyond the type of search they were authorized to do, or basically did anything fishy, then yes. If the police followed the rules and did not use excessive force, then no. Police would have to do a cost analysis every time they went after someone, and would render them too weak.

    HOWEVER!! Most of this crap, searches and confiscation of property, wouldn't be an issue if we weren't expending most police power on hunting down drug users and small time pot dealers. Like a lot of the problems with police these days, this would be a moot problem if we ended drug prohibition.
    Make all crime legal then you wouldnt have to worry about the police at all....YOU WOULD BE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

  9. #29
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Make all crime legal then you wouldnt have to worry about the police at all....YOU WOULD BE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Free to get tied up and beaten by the local thugs while they raped your wife and children because there are no consequences and far too many people in our society are like...

    "EWWW... GUNS!!"""

    <now just picture a man in a sweater vest holding the magazine weld of a gun up with his arm extended as far away from his body as humanly possible with a look of disgust on his face>
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should homeowners/renters be reimbursed from damage that resulted from a police r

    Been thinking more about this thread, and the various points made, and I will slightly modify and break down my thoughts a bit more.

    In the majority of cases, I'm not so sure a person should be reimbursed... provided all safeguards such as warrants and such are properly done. Eventual proven guilt vs innocence shouldn't matter. That's an emotional response, and as I have said on so many other areas, emotion should be minimized as much as possible when it comes to our justice system. Sorry, but if you're a legitimate suspect, you're a legitimate suspect. Sucks, I know, and is not ideal, but there has to be some reasonable balance and not everything can be ideal.

    Having said that, there are exceptions...

    • It is not unheard of for LE to take people's items, i.e. computers, etc., and then never give them back because the investigation is never technically closed. That crap has to stop. Take the computer, examine the hard drive or whatever, but it should be given back within a reasonable time frame. 30 or 60 days would be reasonable. If it's not given back... in the same condition and working order as when taken... it's purchased by LE.

      And if a person's work life is on said computer? The person should be able to at least get immediate copies of whatever they need to continue their livelihood while the computer is being examined.
      -
    • It is also not unheard of for LE to ransack a person's dwelling and/or vehicle. To the point of dismantling things then leaving them dismantled. I have no doubt that this is actually fairly rare, but it does happen. That crap needs to stop, also. There will be times where something more intrusive is necessary, but the vast majority of searches only require non-destructive looking. Reimbursement should be allowed, pending review by a court/judge whether the intrusiveness was warranted or not.
      -
    • On this point I will not waiver. If they raid/search the wrong place, they pay. Period. No exceptions. No excuses. I understand that it is usually, if not always, an honest mistake. I don't care. There needs to be accountability, even for honest mistakes, and this type of mistake is far too serious to dismiss. The ONLY question LE should ask is, "To whom do I write the check?".

      I would limit this to actual damages, though. No punitive damages (unless maybe death or serious injury is also involved, at which point a court should be involved).
    Last edited by radcen; 07-20-12 at 11:46 AM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •