View Poll Results: Is rugged individualism really conservative?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, conservatives got it right.

    4 28.57%
  • No, conservatives are manipulated.

    10 71.43%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    I've been thinking about this more and more, and the more I do, the more it seems to be a liberal rather than conservative idea.

    Liberals constantly stand up for the working class, and constantly advocate the redistribution of wealth away from the "greedy" towards the "needy". Those who are needy are those who work hard and get stuff done.

    Conservatives seem to advocate rugged individualism, but only when they embrace social liberalism on the side. I have never heard from a social conservative that rugged individualism is a way of life. Libertarians? Yes. Authoritarians? Yes.

    Conservatives? No. Conservatives understand the value of balance and relaxation, not living a life of vanity, and not driving yourself crazy. Conservatives understand that we work to live, so you don't overheat yourself just to get a job done. If you're a rugged individual, a conservative justifies it because of an intense way of life, not "just because".

    Liberals don't seem to grasp this, though, and even big government liberals seem to embrace rugged individualism because they enjoy humiliating non-politicians/bureaucrats into doing dirty work so they don't have to. They're basically spoiled brats who enjoy making others feel guilty as if they have to prove their dignity to be entitled to respect. On top of that, the government supposedly offers health care and welfare so hard workers can keep on trucking while not actually having lives.

    I'm a customs broker, and this really hit home today when I was discussing the matter with some coworkers. On one hand, they were imitating how truck drivers and cargo handlers struggle in the docks. On the other, they were saying society needs to make sure people like that are OK.

    It seemed very elitist because my coworkers come from privileged backgrounds. I don't. I come from a working class background, and it's partially because I wasn't bullied as much as my peers that I was able to study, focus, and mentally prepare for my brokerage license and socially network into my office. My peers struggled in school growing up because they just couldn't think about what was being taught. They were always wondering "How is this going to help me in life?"

    Liberals seem to thrive on rugged individualism because it preserves their social status while making people feel guilty until proven innocent. If people aren't rugged, then they don't deserve respect. They deserve to endure frustration and humiliation such that they can't elevate in social status.
    Last edited by Daktoria; 07-15-12 at 06:26 PM.

  2. #2
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    It's neither.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,713

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    "Rugged individualism" is a highly overrated value.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  4. #4
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    "Rugged individualism" is a highly overrated value.
    Rugged, in 2012? most of those who think they are rugged would be considered citified sissies back in the day when this country was still untamed. Life has become far too complicated, and at the same time too interesting, to try to live like our pioneers did. It is a rare person who would forsake all our modern conveniences and go back even as far as 1950....much less 1850....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #5
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    Anyone who can only think in terms of Liberal or Conservative is part of a Pack and not an Individual.

    Only truly manly men and womanly women become members of The Logical Party. Specklebang for President 2012.

    Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative-images-jpeg

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    I've been thinking about this more and more, and the more I do, the more it seems to be a liberal rather than conservative idea.

    Liberals constantly stand up for the working class, and constantly advocate the redistribution of wealth away from the "greedy" towards the "needy". Those who are needy are those who work hard and get stuff done.

    Conservatives seem to advocate rugged individualism, but only when they embrace social liberalism on the side. I have never heard from a social conservative that rugged individualism is a way of life. Libertarians? Yes. Authoritarians? Yes.

    Conservatives? No. Conservatives understand the value of balance and relaxation, not living a life of vanity, and not driving yourself crazy. Conservatives understand that we work to live, so you don't overheat yourself just to get a job done. If you're a rugged individual, a conservative justifies it because of an intense way of life, not "just because".

    Liberals don't seem to grasp this, though, and even big government liberals seem to embrace rugged individualism because they enjoy humiliating non-politicians/bureaucrats into doing dirty work so they don't have to. They're basically spoiled brats who enjoy making others feel guilty as if they have to prove their dignity to be entitled to respect. On top of that, the government supposedly offers health care and welfare so hard workers can keep on trucking while not actually having lives.

    I'm a customs broker, and this really hit home today when I was discussing the matter with some coworkers. On one hand, they were imitating how truck drivers and cargo handlers struggle in the docks. On the other, they were saying society needs to make sure people like that are OK.

    It seemed very elitist because my coworkers come from privileged backgrounds. I don't. I come from a working class background, and it's partially because I wasn't bullied as much as my peers that I was able to study, focus, and mentally prepare for my brokerage license and socially network into my office. My peers struggled in school growing up because they just couldn't think about what was being taught. They were always wondering "How is this going to help me in life?"

    Liberals seem to thrive on rugged individualism because it preserves their social status while making people feel guilty until proven innocent. If people aren't rugged, then they don't deserve respect. They deserve to endure frustration and humiliation such that they can't elevate in social status.


    I'm sorry.... but that whole post just didn't make a damn lick of sense.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Rugged, in 2012? most of those who think they are rugged would be considered citified sissies back in the day when this country was still untamed. Life has become far too complicated, and at the same time too interesting, to try to live like our pioneers did. It is a rare person who would forsake all our modern conveniences and go back even as far as 1950....much less 1850....
    Are you claiming "rugged" is primarily a physical attribute?

    If anything, it's a mental attribute since it involves how sensitive you are to being impressed or dealing with frustration.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    I've been thinking about this more and more, and the more I do, the more it seems to be a liberal rather than conservative idea.

    Liberals constantly stand up for the working class, and constantly advocate the redistribution of wealth away from the "greedy" towards the "needy". Those who are needy are those who work hard and get stuff done.

    Conservatives seem to advocate rugged individualism, but only when they embrace social liberalism on the side. I have never heard from a social conservative that rugged individualism is a way of life. Libertarians? Yes. Authoritarians? Yes.

    Conservatives? No. Conservatives understand the value of balance and relaxation, not living a life of vanity, and not driving yourself crazy. Conservatives understand that we work to live, so you don't overheat yourself just to get a job done. If you're a rugged individual, a conservative justifies it because of an intense way of life, not "just because".

    Liberals don't seem to grasp this, though, and even big government liberals seem to embrace rugged individualism because they enjoy humiliating non-politicians/bureaucrats into doing dirty work so they don't have to. They're basically spoiled brats who enjoy making others feel guilty as if they have to prove their dignity to be entitled to respect. On top of that, the government supposedly offers health care and welfare so hard workers can keep on trucking while not actually having lives.

    I'm a customs broker, and this really hit home today when I was discussing the matter with some coworkers. On one hand, they were imitating how truck drivers and cargo handlers struggle in the docks. On the other, they were saying society needs to make sure people like that are OK.

    It seemed very elitist because my coworkers come from privileged backgrounds. I don't. I come from a working class background, and it's partially because I wasn't bullied as much as my peers that I was able to study, focus, and mentally prepare for my brokerage license and socially network into my office. My peers struggled in school growing up because they just couldn't think about what was being taught. They were always wondering "How is this going to help me in life?"

    Liberals seem to thrive on rugged individualism because it preserves their social status while making people feel guilty until proven innocent. If people aren't rugged, then they don't deserve respect. They deserve to endure frustration and humiliation such that they can't elevate in social status.



    You seem to be confusing the terms "Liberal and Conservative" with the terms "Rich and Poor".

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post

    Liberals constantly stand up for the working class, and constantly advocate the redistribution of wealth away from the "greedy" towards the "needy". Those who are needy are those who work hard and get stuff done.
    Second paragraph and already into straw men. Stopped reading. If your whole argument is "the other guys are poopy heads", I just am not that interested.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Rugged Individualism: Liberal or Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Second paragraph and already into straw men. Stopped reading. If your whole argument is "the other guys are poopy heads", I just am not that interested.



    Is the word "Poopy" allowed?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •