View Poll Results: Balanced Budget Amendment

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 48.39%
  • No

    14 45.16%
  • Not Sure

    2 6.45%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Balanced Budget Amendment

  1. #1
    User Dagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    RI
    Last Seen
    07-25-12 @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    60

    Balanced Budget Amendment

    What do you guys think about a Balanced Budget Amendment to the constitution? Personally I think it would be a great amendment except for the fact that Democrats and some Republicans would relentlessly raise taxes to comply with the amendment. A possible solution to this is have a 5 year fixed tax rate, basically saying the government cant raise taxes in order to comply with the balanced budget amendment unless there is a 3/4 majority to do so. Also, congress members would get a pay cut if the budget wasnt balanced in time.

    Thoughts?
    Center-Right Moderate / Social Libertarian.

  2. #2
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-05-12 @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    151

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    I support the same balanced budget amendment that Reagan tried to pass in 1982.

    No changes. No compromise.

    We can probably accomplish it after the 2012 elections if we get the 53-56 seats I think we will get. Many Dems will vote for a BBA. If we just get the magic 60 we can send it to the states, who will definitely agree to it!
    Student of Ayn Rand, Adam Kokesh and Murray Rothbard
    Endorsements (2012): Gary Johnson (President), Jeff Flake (Senate)
    Romney = Obama. The last election we had any CHOICE in was 1992!

  3. #3
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    Balanced budget ammendment is a good idea. I wouldn't necessarily make it an ammendment though. Sometimes, a balanced budget may not cut it. You can't cut something just because you need more defense spending
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
    What do you guys think about a Balanced Budget Amendment to the constitution? Personally I think it would be a great amendment except for the fact that Democrats and some Republicans would relentlessly raise taxes to comply with the amendment. A possible solution to this is have a 5 year fixed tax rate, basically saying the government cant raise taxes in order to comply with the balanced budget amendment unless there is a 3/4 majority to do so. Also, congress members would get a pay cut if the budget wasnt balanced in time.

    Thoughts?
    Why yes! After all, history has dozens of examples of nations that prospered under the requirement of balancing budgets. That is, if by "dozens" you mean "none"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    It is national self-sabotage to limit our purchases to what we can actually afford to purchase. This is America. We can grow and prosper forever.



    /sarcasm

  6. #6
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-05-12 @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    151

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Why yes! After all, history has dozens of examples of nations that prospered under the requirement of balancing budgets. That is, if by "dozens" you mean "none"
    Socially tolerant, fiscally liberal? Wouldn't that make you liberal and not an independent?
    Student of Ayn Rand, Adam Kokesh and Murray Rothbard
    Endorsements (2012): Gary Johnson (President), Jeff Flake (Senate)
    Romney = Obama. The last election we had any CHOICE in was 1992!

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Smart View Post
    Socially tolerant, fiscally liberal? Wouldn't that make you liberal and not an independent?
    When sangha describes his lean as "Independent," what he means is that he no longer lives at his parents' house.


    We can allege whatever we want when we select our lean. Personally I lean left. Politically though I lean right.

  8. #8
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Smart View Post
    Socially tolerant, fiscally liberal? Wouldn't that make you liberal and not an independent?
    I'm not a liberal; I'm a socialist and liberal nor socialist are not mutually exclusive with independent
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #9
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    I agree with the basic Keynesian principle of deficit spending during recessions and paying down the debt during the booms. A balanced budget amendment would tie their hands and prevent the government from moderating the excesses of the market. We should work to balance the budget, but preventing unemployed people from rioting in the streets is a higher priority.

  10. #10
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Balanced Budget Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    When sangha describes his lean as "Independent," what he means is that he no longer lives at his parents' house.
    And I go commando
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •