View Poll Results: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 25.71%
  • No

    16 45.71%
  • Somewhere in between

    9 25.71%
  • Not sure, but I'm interested in what others have to say

    1 2.86%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

  1. #41
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Correct, and the purpose of government is to protect those rights.

    But, we have no control over how other people in other nations see their government. The best we can do is to make sure our own government fulfills its purpose. That is a difficult enough task for right now.
    Yes. But when those other citizens are here, we should respect their rights.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Yes. But when those other citizens are here, we should respect their rights.
    Yes, absolutely, so long as they're here legally.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, absolutely, so long as they're here legally.
    But even if they're here illegally, I'd still expect them to be safeguarded from unreasonable search and seizure. I'd be fine with free speech and criticizing the government, but I would stop short at allowing them to march and protest*, even is it is peaceable.

    *-Conceptual point, presuming you could tell a legal from an illegal.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    But even if they're here illegally, I'd still expect them to be safeguarded from unreasonable search and seizure. I'd be fine with free speech and criticizing the government, but I would stop short at allowing them to march and protest*, even is it is peaceable.

    *-Conceptual point, presuming you could tell a legal from an illegal.
    That is quite an assumption.

    We seem to have a stereotype of the illegal alien who doesn't speak English and who is hanging around Home Depot hoping for a job, or perhaps out picking fruit. That just isn't always the case. I've known illegals up close and personal, so I can tell you that some of them speak perfectly good English and don't fit the stereotype at all. On the other hand, there are legal residents who don't speak English. You can't tell by looking or listening.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #45
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That is quite an assumption.

    We seem to have a stereotype of the illegal alien who doesn't speak English and who is hanging around Home Depot hoping for a job, or perhaps out picking fruit. That just isn't always the case. I've known illegals up close and personal, so I can tell you that some of them speak perfectly good English and don't fit the stereotype at all. On the other hand, there are legal residents who don't speak English. You can't tell by looking or listening.
    I seriously have no idea how what you said here even remotely applies to my post that you responded to. I made no reference or inference regarding language or work status.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I seriously have no idea how what you said here even remotely applies to my post that you responded to. I made no reference or inference regarding language or work status.
    I was responding to this:

    Conceptual point, presuming you could tell a legal from an illegal.
    Which is, as I said, quite an assumption.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #47
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I was responding to this:



    Which is, as I said, quite an assumption.
    Right. I was stating that you cannot tell a legal from an illegal simply by looking at them. The asterisk related to a previous point. Awkwardly phrased maybe, but not what you interpreted it to be.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #48
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, absolutely, so long as they're here legally.
    So, how do you find out without violating their rights in the first place? And what happens when the inevitable mistake is made? "Oops, my bad" doesn't cover it, and it ends up being the taxpayers who foot the bill for such mistakes.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,989

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    No, things like the right to vote are Constitutional rights and should not be extended to non-citizens. Non-citizens deserve human rights and many human rights are also Constitutional rights. However, Constitutional rights should be specific only for US citizens.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #50
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Should Constitutional rights extend to non-citizens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    So, how do you find out without violating their rights in the first place?
    The same way we do it for any form of criminality (Hint: It's called "probable cause")

    And what happens when the inevitable mistake is made? "Oops, my bad" doesn't cover it, and it ends up being the taxpayers who foot the bill for such mistakes.
    The same thing happens when any mistake about a criminal occurs
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •