View Poll Results: What is (are) the best way(s) to eliminate the deficit?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • A balanced budget amendment

    24 24.74%
  • A line item veto amenndment

    17 17.53%
  • replace income tx with a national retail sales tax

    10 10.31%
  • Raise taxes on the rich

    40 41.24%
  • Raise taxes on the middle-class

    7 7.22%
  • Raise taxes stealthily in the form of fees, a federal lottery, etc.

    4 4.12%
  • Nationalize oil and natural gas on federal land and get into the enegry business like Saudi Arabia

    11 11.34%
  • Cut federal spending

    66 68.04%
  • Sell services to prizate industry at a profit, privatize then tax them

    4 4.12%
  • other

    26 26.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 285

Thread: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

  1. #251
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I understand the gravity of the Japan situation, but lets be practical. They got hit by a record setting earthquake followed by a record setting tsunami, and still no one has died from the nuclear disaster. To me, that is quite an accomplishment.
    According to a June 2012 Standford University study, the radiation released could cause 130 deaths from cancer (the lower bound for the estimate being 15 and the upper bound 1100) and 180 cancer cases (the lower bound being 24 and the upper bound 1800), mostly in Japan. Radiation exposure to workers at the plant was projected to result in 2 to 12 deaths.

    Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Perhaps Japan simply isn't the best place to put a nuclear reactor due to geography, but we do not have that sort of problem here in the United States.
    You don't have earthquakes in the United States?

  2. #252
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    If you stop invading the suicide bomber's country, he will quit suicide bombing you. That may be a difficult concept for some . . . . . .
    So all the suicide bombers in Iraq have been Iraqi's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  3. #253
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what all this eviroidiot talk has to do with reducing the deficit, especially when enviromentalism is a major cause of shipping jobs out of America. Seems enviromentalism is a means of increasing the deficit, raising unemployment and destroying the economy. [...]
    So, in RightWingWorld, pollution is good, eh?

  4. #254
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege, replying to another View Post
    I realize you are just one person but do you think you could convince the rest of your liberal friends that nuclear power is the best way to meet our energy and ecological needs at the same time? [...] Sure waste is a problem when it comes to nuclear power, [...]
    A problem that you seem to dismiss. How long do you think spent nuclear fuel is deadly, and how much do you think it costs to safely and securely store it for that period of time?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege, continuing View Post
    Not to mention the unlimited amount of cheap electricity we could generate from a large expansion of nuclear power could be an enormous catalyst for a booming electrical car industry, further reducing oil consumption.
    Four or five solar panels on the roof of your home can charge your electric car; no containment building needed, no 160,000 year radioactive half-life.

  5. #255
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    A problem that you seem to dismiss. How long do you think spent nuclear fuel is deadly, and how much do you think it costs to safely and securely store it for that period of time?


    Four or five solar panels on the roof of your home can charge your electric car; no containment building needed, no 160,000 year radioactive half-life.
    but solar won't do it quickly, and solar won't run your fridge or your AC unless you have a LOT of panels....and a battery bank for night time use...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #256
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what all this eviroidiot talk has to do with reducing the deficit, especially when enviromentalism is a major cause of shipping jobs out of America. Seems enviromentalism is a means of increasing the deficit, raising unemployment and destroying the economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    So, in RightWingWorld, pollution is good, eh?
    So the economic impact of Obama's energy policies haven't had the above stated effect? Is that a yes or a no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  7. #257
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    So, in RightWingWorld, pollution is good, eh?
    What does pollution have to do with enviromentilist? Heck, they kill efficiency and create even more of it through their stupidity. And no, it is not good in rightwingworld, at least I don't think it is, you will have to ask the right wingers, not me. The solution is creating and marketing products to replace existing ones, not lobbying and banning without first providing alternatives. Also they need to embrace and support stepped improvements, such as natural gas for cars instead of fighting against anything but their dreamed of ideal. Evniromental laws also need to be tempered and balanced with economic needs.

  8. #258
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    A problem that you seem to dismiss. How long do you think spent nuclear fuel is deadly, and how much do you think it costs to safely and securely store it for that period of time?


    Four or five solar panels on the roof of your home can charge your electric car; no containment building needed, no 160,000 year radioactive half-life.
    No, just piles and piles of useless used batteries leaking crap into the ground. However if we took that 160,000 year radioactive half-life, captured the free electrons and taught them to flow (hint, nuclear battery) then we could have an electric car that ran for centuries on the same battery and not have have chemical left overs from the production and disposal of solar panels and batteries.

  9. #259
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Well, Obama isn't really liberal, he's center left. But he shut down Yucca Mountain, which puts the future of nuclear energy very much in doubt. Not to mention, environmentalists hate nuclear because they see it as taking away resources from solar and wind power.
    Not a fan of state's rights?

    "The Yucca Mountain controversy involves fundamental issues of a state's right to determine its economic and environmental future and to consent or object to federal projects within its borders."

    The State's Position:

    "State leaders believe the current high-level nuclear waste dump program is fatally flawed, and because of this have found it necessary to oppose the use of Yucca Mountain as a nuclear waste repository for a variety of reasons:

    * Much evidence shows that Yucca Mountain is not safe for nuclear waste disposal in that it is geologically and hydrologically active and complex.

    * Radioactive substances could leak from the dump and create serious long-term health risks to the citizens of Nevada.

    * Large-scale radioactive releases could occur through a variety of possible scenarios caused by volcanos, earthquakes or hydrothermal activity at Yucca Mountain.

    * Accidents happen. Nuclear waste transportation could result in accidents harmful to Nevada's and the nation's citizens and seriously hurt Nevada's image as an attractive place to visit, live, or locate a business.

    * There are no back-up or alternative sites being evaluated along with Yucca Mountain; thus, there are no other sites for comparison.

    * It is unrealistic to expect DOE to spend $6.5 to $8 billion "characterizing" Yucca Mountain and then simply walk away after serious flaws are found. Besides, State leaders are convinced that the DOE is attempting to build a dump rather than merely "studying" the site, as it claims."

    Why Does the State Oppose Yucca Mountain?



    The president pledged $8 billion dollars for new nuclear construction, more than any administration in history.

    "Nuclear Regulatory Commission Ignores Fukushima, Green-Lights First New Reactors in 34 Years"

    "The US government has already pledged over $8 billion in federal loan guarantees to cover construction of the Georgia reactors, since without the government backstop, no private financial institutions will invest in such a high-cost, high-risk project."

    Nuclear Regulatory Commission Ignores Fukushima, Green-Lights First New Reactors in 34 Years | capitoiletteNuclear Regulatory Commission Ignores Fukushima, Green-Lights First New Reactors in 34 Years | capitoilette
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #260
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: What's the best way to reduce the deficit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Not a fan of state's rights?

    "The Yucca Mountain controversy involves fundamental issues of a state's right to determine its economic and environmental future and to consent or object to federal projects within its borders."

    The State's Position:

    "State leaders believe the current high-level nuclear waste dump program is fatally flawed, and because of this have found it necessary to oppose the use of Yucca Mountain as a nuclear waste repository for a variety of reasons:

    * Much evidence shows that Yucca Mountain is not safe for nuclear waste disposal in that it is geologically and hydrologically active and complex.

    * Radioactive substances could leak from the dump and create serious long-term health risks to the citizens of Nevada.

    * Large-scale radioactive releases could occur through a variety of possible scenarios caused by volcanos, earthquakes or hydrothermal activity at Yucca Mountain.

    * Accidents happen. Nuclear waste transportation could result in accidents harmful to Nevada's and the nation's citizens and seriously hurt Nevada's image as an attractive place to visit, live, or locate a business.

    * There are no back-up or alternative sites being evaluated along with Yucca Mountain; thus, there are no other sites for comparison.

    * It is unrealistic to expect DOE to spend $6.5 to $8 billion "characterizing" Yucca Mountain and then simply walk away after serious flaws are found. Besides, State leaders are convinced that the DOE is attempting to build a dump rather than merely "studying" the site, as it claims."

    Why Does the State Oppose Yucca Mountain?



    The president pledged $8 billion dollars for new nuclear construction, more than any administration in history.

    "Nuclear Regulatory Commission Ignores Fukushima, Green-Lights First New Reactors in 34 Years"

    "The US government has already pledged over $8 billion in federal loan guarantees to cover construction of the Georgia reactors, since without the government backstop, no private financial institutions will invest in such a high-cost, high-risk project."

    Nuclear Regulatory Commission Ignores Fukushima, Green-Lights First New Reactors in 34 Years | capitoiletteNuclear Regulatory Commission Ignores Fukushima, Green-Lights First New Reactors in 34 Years | capitoilette
    Headquarters for the Sierra Club and Green Peace would be much better storage sites.

    What does Japan have to do with Georgia, hardly the same geology.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •