View Poll Results: Mmm?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a liberal, liberals are coherentists.

    0 0%
  • I'm a liberal, liberals are foundationalists.

    1 50.00%
  • I'm not a liberal, liberals are coherentists.

    0 0%
  • I'm not a liberal, liberals are foundationalists.

    1 50.00%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Your analysis IS over-simplified, whether or not you couch it in unnecessarily verbose langauge.


    No, this is all about your attempt to place your over-simplified judgement on liberals and liberalism.
    ^ oversimplification.

    If you don't love brutal assertions, then you shouldn't make them.

  2. #62
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,681

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    What he's trying to say in 500,000 words is something he could say in 50, i.e... that liberalism has no fundamental basis in ethics or morality, that it's based on what fits, what appears to work, on what's convenient. He's associating liberalism per se and thereby all self-avowed liberals with this 'coherentist' philosophical approach which he dislikes. The End.

    There, that was 41 words.

    Those who have a poor command of the English language often resort to throwing out verbiage to give the appearance that they know what they're talking about.
    I know very welll what he's talking about. If you read my post carefully you'd see how I answered his assertion using his own argument against him and throwing in the Constitution as an example of how liberals try and frame ideas policies.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    I know very welll what he's talking about. If you read my post carefully you'd see how I answered his assertion using his own argument against him and throwing in the Constitution as an example of how liberals try and frame ideas policies.
    You misunderstand my post. I was referring to him using verbiage to give appearance of comprehension, not you. I see perfectly well that you understand the matter; considerably better than our loquacious friend.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #64
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,681

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You misunderstand my post. I was referring to him using verbiage to give appearance of comprehension, not you. I see perfectly well that you understand the matter; considerably better than our loquacious friend.
    Yeah, okay: thanks. I didn't quite know who were you were referring to. I think that Daktoria is a philosophy student.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, okay: thanks. I didn't quite know who were you were referring to. I think that Daktoria is a philosophy student.
    I actually graduated with a degree in economics and finance, and work as a customs broker now.

    Thanks.

  6. #66
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, okay: thanks. I didn't quite know who were you were referring to. I think that Daktoria is a philosophy student.
    As you can see below, he isn't. He has clearly read an amount of philosophical literature but has assimilated very little of it. He also clearly skipped logic as his tendency to generalise, simplify and conflate concepts is what makes his posts fallacious. His problem in communicating clearly comes from a need to feel superior by obfuscating the issue with opaque language.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    I actually graduated with a degree in economics and finance, and work as a customs broker now.
    Figures. Theoretical economics is rife with opaque language too.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  7. #67
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, okay: thanks. I didn't quite know who were you were referring to. I think that Daktoria is a philosophy student.
    Do they even teach philosophy in middle school?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Do they even teach philosophy in middle school?
    I've never taken a philosophy course in my life.

    The closest I've ever had is locus during 9th grade math.

  9. #69
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,681

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    As you can see below, he isn't. He has clearly read an amount of philosophical literature but has assimilated very little of it. He also clearly skipped logic as his tendency to generalise, simplify and conflate concepts is what makes his posts fallacious. His problem in communicating clearly comes from a need to feel superior by obfuscating the issue with opaque language.
    That's why I thought he was a student. His logic isn't sqaure.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Are Liberals Coherentists or Foundationalists?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    That's why I thought he was a student. His logic isn't sqaure.
    Do you guys actually want to discuss the OP, or just continue with ad hominems?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •