View Poll Results: Mmm?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, blacks have their own heritage.

    13 81.25%
  • Yes, blacks can create something else.

    1 6.25%
  • No, blacks lack heritage.

    0 0%
  • No, black identity politics depend on government.

    2 12.50%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 141

Thread: African American Heritage

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    African American Heritage

    If MLK Day, Black History Month, Kwanzaa, and other political "holidays" didn't exist, would African Americans have anything to celebrate?
    Last edited by Daktoria; 07-08-12 at 08:05 AM.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,061

    Re: African American Heritage

    probably they must have lost everything except their color..
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  3. #3
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: African American Heritage

    Among other things such as cultural or traditions passed down from generation to generation, there is Juneteenth.* Besides I see Black History month as a time set aside where the Black heritage, history and contributions are discussed rather than something political. Many ethnic or cultural groups have time set aside in a similar fashion to denote and celebrate themselves and their contributions to the US and society. Moreover, I do not perceive MLK whose work has benefited an entire country in the area of civil rights as a celebration of a "Black" holiday any more than I see Presidents day as a white holiday.

    *"Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. From its Galveston, Texas origin in 1865, the observance of June 19th as the African American Emancipation Day has spread across the United States and beyond."
    Juneteenth World Wide Celebration

  4. #4
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: African American Heritage

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    If MLK Day, Black History Month, Kwanzaa, and other political "holidays" didn't exist, would African Americans have anything to celebrate?
    You left out the most important choice, to celebrate as Americans.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #5
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: African American Heritage

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Among other things such as cultural or traditions passed down from generation to generation, there is Juneteenth.* Besides I see Black History month as a time set aside where the Black heritage, history and contributions are discussed rather than something political. Many ethnic or cultural groups have time set aside in a similar fashion to denote and celebrate themselves and their contributions to the US and society. Moreover, I do not perceive MLK whose work has benefited an entire country in the area of civil rights as a celebration of a "Black" holiday any more than I see Presidents day as a white holiday.

    *"Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. From its Galveston, Texas origin in 1865, the observance of June 19th as the African American Emancipation Day has spread across the United States and beyond."
    Juneteenth World Wide Celebration
    Sorry but I disagree. Presidents Day is an American holiday, not a white holiday.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: African American Heritage

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    If MLK Day, Black History Month, Kwanzaa, and other political "holidays" didn't exist, would African Americans have anything to celebrate?
    This thread is a perfect example of why you should not get your talking points from Stormfront: because you will get ****ing stupid talking points.

    MLK day: not about being black, but about celebrating one of the great Americans of the last 50 years. When are you so fixated on race? Is presidents day a white holiday? Your logic suggests it would be.

    Black History Month: Maybe you missed it, but the history taught in most schools is very Eurocentric. There is no harm is looking at history of other areas, and I would similarly like an Asian history month.

    Kwanzaa: Really? Not even a national holiday, and I do not know one black person who actually celebrates it, and you want to make a big deal about it? Do you get pissed off about Saint Patrick's day too? Cinco De Mayo? Yesterday was Tanabata. Did you get worked up about it?

    Race baiting, poorly constructed, and with a complete lack of thinking involved, this is a major failure of a poll.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #7
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: African American Heritage

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Sorry but I disagree. Presidents Day is an American holiday, not a white holiday.
    Go back and read his post. He did not say it was a white holiday. In fact, the opposite....
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #8
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,208

    Re: African American Heritage

    If I understand the question correctly it's asking if you take away all the holidays associated with a group of people whether they would have any holidays left?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #9
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: African American Heritage

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Sorry but I disagree. Presidents Day is an American holiday, not a white holiday.
    Because this can be such a highly charged topic and I do not want to be seen as a racist as a result of you post, I am going to ask you to revisit what I wrote, "Moreover, I do not perceive MLK whose work has benefited an entire country in the area of civil rights as a celebration of a "Black" holiday any more than I see Presidents day as a white holiday."

  10. #10
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: African American Heritage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Go back and read his post. He did not say it was a white holiday. In fact, the opposite....
    Thank you Redress....

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •