View Poll Results: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Healthcare

    5 10.00%
  • Jobs / Economy

    29 58.00%
  • Immigration

    0 0%
  • Social Issues (i.e.; abortion, gay issues, etc.)

    3 6.00%
  • Foreign Policy (includes "war on terror", etc.)

    2 4.00%
  • Foreign Policy (includes "war on terror", etc.)

    0 0%
  • Other

    11 22.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

  1. #11
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Foreign policy is the most important issue listed for presidential discussion. The economy is of higher priority, but the president has only limited influence over it, especially given the current congress. Foreign policy is dictated in near-entirety by the executive, so differing opinions will actually have a substantive impact.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Exactly, in a presidential election, we need to focus on issues over which the president has authority. Expecting the POTUS to be able to give everyone who wants/needs one a good job is not realistic.

    His views on abortion and gay marriage are irrelevant. The current president is way over on the pro choice side, while his predecessor was equally far to the other side. What changed when administration changed?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #13
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Foreign policy is the most important issue listed for presidential discussion. The economy is of higher priority, but the president has only limited influence over it, especially given the current congress. Foreign policy is dictated in near-entirety by the executive, so differing opinions will actually have a substantive impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Exactly, in a presidential election, we need to focus on issues over which the president has authority. Expecting the POTUS to be able to give everyone who wants/needs one a good job is not realistic.
    Good points regarding foreign policy.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    His views on abortion and gay marriage are irrelevant. The current president is way over on the pro choice side, while his predecessor was equally far to the other side. What changed when administration changed?
    I have friends at the extremes of both sides of the abortion debate, and when I tell them this exact point... that nothing is going to change, especially substantially, regardless who is elected... they look at me like I have snakes coming out of my head.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Good points regarding foreign policy.



    I have friends at the extremes of both sides of the abortion debate, and when I tell them this exact point... that nothing is going to change, especially substantially, regardless who is elected... they look at me like I have snakes coming out of my head.
    Lots of voters just don't seem to understand the balance of powers, and that we're not electing a dictator.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #15
    Educator Black_Zawisza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    12-20-13 @ 04:15 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    604

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What is the role of government in the future of America?

    That should be the main issue.
    This.

    Holy ****, I just agreed with haymarket on something.
    Statist silliness of the day:
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    All this talk about "dominion over a third person" is libertarianistic goobledy-gook. "dominion over a third person" means that the 3rd person is "controlled", and our govt does not control people.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Why should there be just one? I tend to vote for the candidate that 1) best represents my overall beliefs and 2) that I think I can trust to follow those beliefs closest. There isn't much differnce between either the candidates or the parties. One issue voters worry me more than even partisans.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-12-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    1. Healthcare
    2. Jobs / Economy
    3. Immigration
    4. Social Issues (i.e.; abortion, gay issues, etc.)
    5. Foreign Policy (includes "war on terror", etc.)
    6. Character
    7. Other


    What will be, and what should be, may end up being the same. Time will tell.
    I voted "Other" because the climate crisis dwarfs all other issues. When the planet no longer sustains civilization, the rest of the listed items will become largely irrelevant.

  8. #18
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
    I voted "Other" because the climate crisis dwarfs all other issues. When the planet no longer sustains civilization, the rest of the listed items will become largely irrelevant.
    The President doesn't control that...
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  9. #19
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    We need leaders who will bring us to the point where we can compete with China. We need political leaders who realize that our environmental and labor laws keep us from competing.

    These laws need to be rewritten so they are closer to the laws in China.

  10. #20
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What SHOULD BE the primary issue of the 2012 Presidential election?

    1. Healthcare
    2. Jobs / Economy
    3. Immigration
    4. Social Issues (i.e.; abortion, gay issues, etc.)
    5. Foreign Policy (includes "war on terror", etc.)
    6. Character
    7. Other


    What will be, and what should be, may end up being the same. Time will tell.
    7 other: Global domination. My vote is for Ernst Blofeld.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •