View Poll Results: After death do you think it should be mandated that organs are used to save lives?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 16.30%
  • No

    74 80.43%
  • Unsure

    3 3.26%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 179

Thread: Mandatory Organ Donation

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    So, you think that when you die, your body should belong to who? The state?
    I don't think organs should go to waste when people are suffering and dying due to a lack of available organs.

    The state should own it afterwards, because the deceased certainly is unable. There's a brief window to use those organs to save lives.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    That depends on what religion/spirituality you subscribe to. And even from an agnostic/atheist stand point it's still your body even after death.

    And dude, if you think you don't have a right to your body after death, then you certainly shouldn't believe in any inheritances or passing down of money.
    I disagree with tha philosophy. I don't think you own your body after you're dead and gone.

    Inheritance is far different. A dead person has already dictated through will that his/her money will go to a living recipient. That is different.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    this thread actually asks a GREAT question.

    kudos, Wake.

  4. #14
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I disagree with tha philosophy. I don't think you own your body after you're dead and gone.

    Inheritance is far different. A dead person has already dictated through will that his/her money will go to a living recipient. That is different.
    Why can't he/she dictate that about the body as well as the money?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  5. #15
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I don't think organs should go to waste when people are suffering and dying due to a lack of available organs.

    The state should own it afterwards, because the deceased certainly is unable. There's a brief window to use those organs to save lives.
    Well hell, why wait until death? Most of us could afford to spare a kidney. Why not make donating one of those mandatory too? Shoot, make blood and bone marrow donation mandatory as well. Afterall, all your arguments about how people need them would still apply.

  6. #16
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    912

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Yet if you die, you're no longer alive on this earth to exercise any sort of freedom. Rights should end, like marriage, upon death. That's my take on it.
    I'll go with the slippery slope argument on this one. I support voluntary organ donation but if it ever became mandatory it wouldn't be long before advocates would begin pushing for euthanasia of those they considered inferior or undesirable in order to harvest their organs. In communist China organs are taken from those executed by the government. Who knows how many have been slaughtered for their body parts?

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Why can't he/she dictate that about the body as well as the money?
    Well, who is inheriting the person's dead body, and how is that person going to use the dead body? Usually dead bodies don't make good currency.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well hell, why wait until death? Most of us could afford to spare a kidney. Why not make donating one of those mandatory too? Shoot, make blood and bone marrow donation mandatory as well. Afterall, all your arguments about how people need them would still apply.
    No, a person has rights while living.

    Blood is typically easier to donate than organs because blood can be rejuvenated slowly.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry7 View Post
    I'll go with the slippery slope argument on this one. I support voluntary organ donation but if it ever became mandatory it wouldn't be long before advocates would begin pushing for euthanasia of those they considered inferior or undesirable in order to harvest their organs. In communist China organs are taken from those executed by the government. Who knows how many have been slaughtered for their body parts?
    Well, I think people have rights while alive, so I would never advocate for mandatory euthanasia.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I don't think organs should go to waste when people are suffering and dying due to a lack of available organs.

    The state should own it afterwards, because the deceased certainly is unable. There's a brief window to use those organs to save lives.
    Having the state own dead bodies is a horrible idea. Not only would it open up incredible abuses, it would deprive families of proper burials and it would prevent dead people from having the post mortem rituals that they want to have. The state can barely do the right thing with living people. It's dangerous to give it so much control over dead people.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •