View Poll Results: After death do you think it should be mandated that organs are used to save lives?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 16.30%
  • No

    74 80.43%
  • Unsure

    3 3.26%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 179

Thread: Mandatory Organ Donation

  1. #151
    User EnigmaIncognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    58

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    You're really going to quote Star Trek?
    Did I quote something from Star Trek?

    *looks up quote*

    Ah, it seems I did. Purely unintentional I can assure you; I've never actually watched much Star Trek, nor seen the films.

    The truth behind the statement still stands though.

  2. #152
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaIncognito View Post
    Did I quote something from Star Trek?

    *looks up quote*

    Ah, it seems I did. Purely unintentional I can assure you; I've never actually watched much Star Trek, nor seen the films.

    The truth behind the statement still stands though.
    It kind of contradicts your statement, since there are far more people who don't need an organ transplant, than those who do. Is organ donation the morally right thing to do for a person of healthy, disease free physique? Absolutely, but is it moral for the government to mandate it? I don't believe so, and furthermore, I see a multitude of problems that would face such a mandate. Most of which can and will lead to death in organ receiving patients due to faulty tests, and mistakes in labeling due to an increase in fresh organs, coupled with the intensely strict time limits caused by the very short shelf life of organs.

    The system is what needs to change, not how we get the organs.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #153
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-05-12 @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    151

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    I answered 'no', but I am a firm supporter of organ donation.

    However, if people don't specify in their wills whether or not to donate their organs, I think we should ask their loved ones about donation.
    Student of Ayn Rand, Adam Kokesh and Murray Rothbard
    Endorsements (2012): Gary Johnson (President), Jeff Flake (Senate)
    Romney = Obama. The last election we had any CHOICE in was 1992!

  4. #154
    User EnigmaIncognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    58

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    It kind of contradicts your statement, since there are far more people who don't need an organ transplant, than those who do. Is organ donation the morally right thing to do for a person of healthy, disease free physique? Absolutely, but is it moral for the government to mandate it? I don't believe so, and furthermore, I see a multitude of problems that would face such a mandate. Most of which can and will lead to death in organ receiving patients due to faulty tests, and mistakes in labeling due to an increase in fresh organs, coupled with the intensely strict time limits caused by the very short shelf life of organs.

    The system is what needs to change, not how we get the organs.
    We don't have to harvest all possible organs, just enough to ensure that those who need those organ transplants acquire them. This wouldn't involve too many corpses being harvested, additionally concerning those corpses that are harvested, the families could be persuaded as to why corpse harvesting is a beneficial action (note: the actual corpse itself doesn't need to be torn apart completely, nor taken from the family forever; what is needed can be taken, and the remaining body given back to the family so that it can be properly buried).

    Now while you may find compulsory organ donation as being immoral, I see it as something that is moral, given that I don't trust people to risk making a selfish and emotive decision at the expensive of a human life. I mean, when would it ever be acceptable to allow selfish and emotive decisions at the cost of lives in any other situation?

    Now concerning the matter of malpractice as the result of systematic organ harvesting; there's no reason to assume that such bad practices will become so commonplace that they result in negative consequences that outweigh the benefits of extra organ inventory. Doctors and medical staff would be smart enough to ensure that donated organs are inspected like with any other organ donation procedure, and safety quality standards would be adhered to in order to ensure the utmost safety of patients. Yes, it might occur, but not to any sever extend (and if you still think otherwise, I would like to see concrete evidence to support your argument).

  5. #155
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    It kind of contradicts your statement, since there are far more people who don't need an organ transplant, than those who do. Is organ donation the morally right thing to do for a person of healthy, disease free physique? Absolutely, but is it moral for the government to mandate it? I don't believe so, and furthermore, I see a multitude of problems that would face such a mandate. Most of which can and will lead to death in organ receiving patients due to faulty tests, and mistakes in labeling due to an increase in fresh organs, coupled with the intensely strict time limits caused by the very short shelf life of organs.

    The system is what needs to change, not how we get the organs.
    That is ****ing hilarious. The bolded part of course.

  6. #156
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    That is ****ing hilarious. The bolded part of course.
    sure, if you think people dying from transplants is a laughing matter, with the risk of such rising as the demand rises.

    Infected organs pose deadly transplant risk

    No question, most transplants are safe — and necessary. More than 28,000 are performed in the U.S. each year, but 108,000 people need the operations and more than 6,500 die waiting.

    As demand for transplants grows, however, concern about safety is rising, too. Many transplant experts are calling for better screening and tracking of donors, even as others worry that extra steps will slow down transplants and risk wasting urgently needed organs.

    No one knows how many diseases are transmitted through infected organs, said Dr. Matthew Kuehnert, director of the Office of Blood, Organ and Other Tissue Safety at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The U.S. does not have a national surveillance system in place to monitor disease transmission after donation, and a landmark report last fall suggested that the nation’s periodic monitoring is patchy at best.

    The United Network for Organ Sharing, which oversees transplants, began requiring reports of disease transmission in 2004. Since then, they’ve been steadily rising, from seven reports of diseases from donors in 2005 to 152 reports in 2009.
    Just imagine what happens when organ harvesting becomes compulsory. Just imagine how many it is three years later. A real laugh riot.
    Last edited by Surtr; 07-14-12 at 07:53 AM.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #157
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    sure, if you think people dying from transplants is a laughing matter, with the risk of such rising as the demand rises.

    Infected organs pose deadly transplant risk



    Just imagine what happens when organ harvesting becomes compulsory. Just imagine how many it is three years later. A real laugh riot.

    If my organs are failing what is the choice?

  8. #158
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    While I think organ donation should be encouraged, it should remain the voluntary choice of the donor concerned (and/or his next of kin after death if the person did not express any view prior to death). A person is not the property of the state to be disposed of as it chooses, even after death.

  9. #159
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    While I think organ donation should be encouraged, it should remain the voluntary choice of the donor concerned (and/or his next of kin after death if the person did not express any view prior to death). A person is not the property of the state to be disposed of as it chooses, even after death.
    The state will tell you how to dispose of a carcass. It is a public health issue. One can not just dump the body in the local lake.

  10. #160
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The state will tell you how to dispose of a carcass. It is a public health issue. One can not just dump the body in the local lake.
    True. But that doesn't mean the body is the state's property and it can do with it what it wants.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •