View Poll Results: After death do you think it should be mandated that organs are used to save lives?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 16.30%
  • No

    74 80.43%
  • Unsure

    3 3.26%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 179

Thread: Mandatory Organ Donation

  1. #131
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Meant to say this earlier, but I especially oppose mandatory organ donation or requiring an opt out from those who haven't even been injured in the first place.
    Why? If we're talking about someone who is merely terminally ill rather than injured, then it should allay your concerns about the family not being able to communicate their wishes in time, or making a split-second decision under extreme duress. With an illness, you know it's coming (or at least that it's a possibility), and you have time to prepare. If the patient or their next-of-kin still can't be bothered to get their affairs in order, too bad. There are too many people dying because they couldn't get an organ in time, to continue having an opt-in system. It's not like an opt-out system puts a huge burden on people who really don't want to donate their organs.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-12-12 at 12:40 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #132
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I could compromise on the default being mandatory organ donations, and give people who care the option to opt out free of charge. If people are ignorant enough or don't care enough to get off the list then that's their problem.

    Mandatory for all would be nice, but it's likely we can count on the ignorant to acquire life-saving organs when they're dead.
    There's that tone again. I care enough that I don't want people to die from getting what I got. Other people aren't so considerate, and seeing how organs have a very short shelf-life that limits the effectiveness of tests taken, removing the guarantee of receiving a clean organ that won't give you something terrible, like HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis, disorders of the blood, cancer, and other nasty **** that will be just as fatal as the reason why they needed the transplant in the first place.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #133
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    No, it's apples and oranges imo.

    Do you still own your home and your car when you die, too? No, you don't. Do you still own your job and your clothes? No, you don't. Money and property are a bit different from organs in a dead corpse. You no longer own your property or your money when you die, so while you're alive you write on a piece of paper, I believe it's called a "will," and you make plans to have ownership shift elsewhere. If you die without making any mention of your organs I believe your rights no longer apply, because you haven't made anything clear through a will while living. The good outweighs the bad because it's morally wrong how the rich get better access to life-saving organs while the poor and uninfluential suffer and die, their hopes crushed. You can be cold and wicked with your selfish want to have your life-saving organs rot while kids and adults die, but hopefully one day people with that mindset will be in the majority. The greater good for the survival of homo sapien demands we not waste the items that can save the rest of us. A dead human has no needs of his/her organs. A young girl with a failing liver and her potentially full life ahead of her does.
    Your estate is an extension of yourself, and your estate owns those things, so in a sense, yes, you do still own your things after you die. For a time.

    All you have really done here is argue that, barring already existing donor status, or specific instructions not to, it's up to the executor of the estate.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #134
    User Dagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    RI
    Last Seen
    07-25-12 @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    60

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    No, this violates the freedoms of the families of the dead. If the deceased / the deceased's family dont want to donate the organs then they shouldn't be donated.
    Last edited by Dagger; 07-12-12 at 01:28 AM.

  5. #135
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Non-fiction here.

    I was taking a stress test getting in line for a heart transplant. The guy running it brought me this form that incase I died during this test they could harvest my organs. I looked at the guy like he was crazy. Hello I'm willing to take a donated organ! And I have to sign a form to say if I die.....

    Just how far does the opt in system go?

  6. #136
    User Dagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    RI
    Last Seen
    07-25-12 @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    60

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Non-fiction here.

    I was taking a stress test getting in line for a heart transplant. The guy running it brought me this form that incase I died during this test they could harvest my organs. I looked at the guy like he was crazy. Hello I'm willing to take a donated organ! And I have to sign a form to say if I die.....

    Just how far does the opt in system go?
    They probably wanted it for scientific / research purposes.

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
    They probably wanted it for scientific / research purposes.
    The only organ that is bad on me is the heart. I've had them all checked out. But even if they wanted them for that I'm happy with that and with what ever knowledge is gained.

    However the point is that I'm willing to accept an organ yet I can refuse to donate mine?

  8. #138
    User Dagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    RI
    Last Seen
    07-25-12 @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    60

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The only organ that is bad on me is the heart. I've had them all checked out. But even if they wanted them for that I'm happy with that and with what ever knowledge is gained.

    However the point is that I'm willing to accept an organ yet I can refuse to donate mine?
    Well requiring all recipients of organ donations to donate their organs sounds reasonable enough to me.
    Last edited by Dagger; 07-12-12 at 01:58 AM.

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
    Well requiring all recipients of organ donations to donate hire organs sounds reasonable enough to me.
    I think the dead dead don't give a ****.

  10. #140
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Why? If we're talking about someone who is merely terminally ill rather than injured, then it should allay your concerns about the family not being able to communicate their wishes in time, or making a split-second decision under extreme duress. With an illness, you know it's coming (or at least that it's a possibility), and you have time to prepare. If the patient or their next-of-kin still can't be bothered to get their affairs in order, too bad. There are too many people dying because they couldn't get an organ in time, to continue having an opt-in system. It's not like an opt-out system puts a huge burden on people who really don't want to donate their organs.
    Kandahar, it's just not true to claim that the majority of organ donations come from victims of a pro-longed illness. It's actually a lot less likely that someone who has been terminally ill for a long period of time will have usable and harvestable organs than someone who's suffered a sudden and severe trauma.

    Most organ donors are accident victims who have suffered severe and eventually fatal injuries—often a severe head injury.
    http://www.nyu.edu/clubs/organ.donat...cess.htm#donor

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •