View Poll Results: After death do you think it should be mandated that organs are used to save lives?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 16.30%
  • No

    74 80.43%
  • Unsure

    3 3.26%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 179

Thread: Mandatory Organ Donation

  1. #101
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    I'm listed as a donor. I've also donated samples to the marrow registry so that I can be considered for those in need of such. But it should always be my choice to do so. I refuse to disrespect or shame somebody who isn't willing to donate, because it's a weighty decision.

    I also fear that mandatory organ donation might lessen life saving efforts bestowed upon those in need of urgent and extreme medical care because it might be cheaper or more "beneficial to society" if they go ahead and harvest organs than perform those extreme life saving measures. Unless some clause is included that maintains the right of the NOK to make medical decisions indefinitely in absence of a DNR, I couldn't get behind any sort of mandatory law. Too likely to see abuse, I fear.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #102
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    396

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Appeal to emotion means nothing to me. Demanding that I allow my dead to be hacked up and used for spare parts for ones personal benefit is hardly mild rudeness.
    This is exactly what I was talking about. Loki has a strong belief for not wanting to be an organ donor. I believe he is wrong to feel that way. But simply because I have a different opinion than Loki does not mean that, if I can get a majority of people to agree with me, we should force Loki to do something against his beliefs. No matter how sure I am that I am correct (and I'm pretty sure on this one... I could debate endlessly why someone should be an organ donor).

  3. #103
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertzz View Post
    This is exactly what I was talking about. Loki has a strong belief for not wanting to be an organ donor.
    I have nothing against being an organ donor, but if it's against my loved ones wishes, it's not going to happen. I can't be a donor for medical reasons, though I was a registered donor before certain things came to my attention. What's really pissing me off is the tone some are taking. When somebody's wife, or mother dies, you don't just walk in with a scalpel and a cooler to divvy up the tender biddles before the body even has a chance to cool, and you definitely don't take the prickish tone that some are espousing here, implying moral corruption, selfishness, or just outright calling someone an asshole. I'm sorry that I care about certain people enough to where I'm not going to just have them tossed onto a butchers block due to others thinking I'm a selfish asshole for wanting at least one ****ing second to grieve and say goodbye. A tiny bit of common courtesy and civility goes a very long way.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #104
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    I'm with the majority on this. No mandatory organ donation. Several cultures in this country believe that unless a body is buried whole, the soul cannot be received into heaven. Organ donation and even autopsy is against some religions, and other religions must bury the body within 24 hours of death.

    I'm not a religious person, and I personally would allow my organs to be donated, presuming any of them still work. However, the government has no right to swoop in and ravage a person's corpse against the family's will and use it for whatever purpose it sees fit. What's next? Harvest the bones and grind them up for fertilizer or cattle feed? Put the flesh into a compost pile to add nutrients to the soil?

    Giving the government rights over the disposition of the dead is an absolutely horrific and ludicrous idea.

  5. #105
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Have you ever watched your uncle wither away and die over the course of five years, never to receive the pair of lungs he was waiting for?

    I view humans as the animal-monkey homo sapien. We're typically hairless monkeys suspended in a rock in space. Unlike other animals we have heightened intelligence. Like ants and other creatures we crave order, efficiency, survival.

    Once we die our right to our organs should die as well. How many people have to suffer and wait for organs that they may not ever receive? If you failed the birth lottery and are poor, chances are you won't be able to shunt money towards getting an organ faster.

    No, you have no right to your organs when you die. Your organs will be used to save the lives of others desperately in need. Our country would be a much better place if we didn't waste the perfectly useable organs of the deceased. Think about it. How many people would you say are waiting for a new heart, lung, liver, etc? What if you found yourself waiting? Waiting. Waiting. Deteriorating. Hoping. Dying.

    No more. Do away with voluntary donations. Make it mandatory for the benefit of all. What, you think you need your rotting organ after you're dead? No, you most certainly don't. It could be better put towards saving the life of another human being. It would take some strain off of our healthcare system if we had ready access to life-saving organs/tissue/whatever.

    I think this is what's best for America.


    This issue will soon be moot. It wont be long before organs will be grown when needed.

    Growing Organs in the Lab | Singularity Hub


    and a more recent article

    Growing Body Parts in the Lab Becomes Reality - Health News - redOrbit

    As an answer to the OP I am against mandatory organ donation. I do not trust government nor the doctors who would otherwise need my organs to do the "right thing".
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #106
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    While it be good and would help out theres no way you can make this mandatory in this country. Thats absurd to force this on people and families.

    Now if we are ever in a endangered scenario maybe Id change my mind but thats not the case and in this country something like this should never happen.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #107
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Have you ever watched your uncle wither away and die over the course of five years, never to receive the pair of lungs he was waiting for?

    I view humans as the animal-monkey homo sapien. We're typically hairless monkeys suspended in a rock in space. Unlike other animals we have heightened intelligence. Like ants and other creatures we crave order, efficiency, survival.

    Once we die our right to our organs should die as well. How many people have to suffer and wait for organs that they may not ever receive? If you failed the birth lottery and are poor, chances are you won't be able to shunt money towards getting an organ faster.

    No, you have no right to your organs when you die. Your organs will be used to save the lives of others desperately in need. Our country would be a much better place if we didn't waste the perfectly useable organs of the deceased. Think about it. How many people would you say are waiting for a new heart, lung, liver, etc? What if you found yourself waiting? Waiting. Waiting. Deteriorating. Hoping. Dying.

    No more. Do away with voluntary donations. Make it mandatory for the benefit of all. What, you think you need your rotting organ after you're dead? No, you most certainly don't. It could be better put towards saving the life of another human being. It would take some strain off of our healthcare system if we had ready access to life-saving organs/tissue/whatever.

    I think this is what's best for America.
    and What's next? Government confiscates your accumulated fortune instead of a person being able to pass it on to their heirs?


    oh wait....bastards.
    From the ashes.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    and What's next? Government confiscates your accumulated fortune instead of a person being able to pass it on to their heirs?


    oh wait....bastards.
    Apples and oranges.

  9. #109
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,921

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Apples and oranges.
    Not apples and oranges, same thing acutually. My job and the job of my familiy is NOT to HELP YOU. Just because YOU think it BEST doesnt mean I think it best. My body is my property even when I am dead. If you take someones parts without their permission, that is theft, just like if you stole someones car or savings, and makes you nothing more than a thief. I dont know about your familiy but I know mine, theft aint tolerated at all.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mandatory Organ Donation

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Not apples and oranges, same thing acutually. My job and the job of my familiy is NOT to HELP YOU. Just because YOU think it BEST doesnt mean I think it best. My body is my property even when I am dead. If you take someones parts without their permission, that is theft, just like if you stole someones car or savings, and makes you nothing more than a thief. I dont know about your familiy but I know mine, theft aint tolerated at all.
    No, it's apples and oranges imo.

    Do you still own your home and your car when you die, too? No, you don't. Do you still own your job and your clothes? No, you don't. Money and property are a bit different from organs in a dead corpse. You no longer own your property or your money when you die, so while you're alive you write on a piece of paper, I believe it's called a "will," and you make plans to have ownership shift elsewhere. If you die without making any mention of your organs I believe your rights no longer apply, because you haven't made anything clear through a will while living. The good outweighs the bad because it's morally wrong how the rich get better access to life-saving organs while the poor and uninfluential suffer and die, their hopes crushed. You can be cold and wicked with your selfish want to have your life-saving organs rot while kids and adults die, but hopefully one day people with that mindset will be in the majority. The greater good for the survival of homo sapien demands we not waste the items that can save the rest of us. A dead human has no needs of his/her organs. A young girl with a failing liver and her potentially full life ahead of her does.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •