View Poll Results: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retirement (explain how)

    8 26.67%
  • Medical Care (explain how)

    1 3.33%
  • On base amenities

    4 13.33%
  • A 5 year pay freeze

    2 6.67%
  • Other

    15 50.00%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 160

Thread: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

  1. #141
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne375 View Post
    I'm sincerely curious as to why you think military benefits are entitlements? No one gives these to you, you earn them.
    I guess I view them that way because of the way groups like the VFW lobby like union leaders for them. I hate the attitude of most union workers and I see that attitude permeating into our military. I hate when guys act like they "rate" something. IMO, we are given a paycheck/allowances (housing, etc) and medical/dental. Everything after that is an entitlement. I believe we are, as a whole, very unappreciative of them
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #142
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Military members receive benefits after retiring from the military. I agree with those benefits, but it is by definition an entitlement. "Well I did *this* so I deserve *that*".
    I don't disagree with you, but I think most people define "entitlements" as expecting something for having done nothing.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #143
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but I think most people define "entitlements" as expecting something for having done nothing.
    Well certainly that is not the case of those in the military (something for nothing). Though I do think they can be classified as entitlements, I would be hesitant to use that word to describe benefits to the military because of the negative connotation. ****, I wish we had a budget surplus so we could give them more.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #144
    Student Airborne375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Last Seen
    10-21-12 @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    276

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Military members receive benefits after retiring from the military. I agree with those benefits, but it is by definition an entitlement. "Well I did *this* so I deserve *that*".
    I was under the impression, perhaps falsely, that an entitlement was something people expected for doing nothing. Maybe it's the way the word is used, it's a positive word. We are all entitled to the protections given to us by the constitution. And we are, but would anyone say the protections given under the constitution are entitlements? I always thought the word was used sarcastically. To me something someone physically earns with their sweat and tears is not an entitlement it's a err.. earning. People say Social Security is an entitlement, I'll name it that when someone returns to me my money.
    If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line.. But, it better work this time. - Dave Mustaine
    It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word. - Andrew Jackson
    Sue Sponte - Motto

  5. #145
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne375 View Post
    I was under the impression, perhaps falsely, that an entitlement was something people expected for doing nothing. Maybe it's the way the word is used, it's a positive word. We are all entitled to the protections given to us by the constitution. And we are, but would anyone say the protections given under the constitution are entitlements? I always thought the word was used sarcastically. To me something someone physically earns with their sweat and tears is not an entitlement it's a err.. earning. People say Social Security is an entitlement, I'll name it that when someone returns to me my money.
    Yes, understood. I think technically any benefit can really be described an entitlement since they are not salary related, but yeah, the word has a terrible connotation to it. We are here on a debate forum so I think its ok to discuss it, but day to day I would not go around telling military people that their benefits are entitlements because in my opinion they've earned anything they receive and more.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  6. #146
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?



    that was what a built fob in afghanistan was like,except floods like that only happened twice a year.most people wouldnt tolerate 20+ per tent or having your food a mile away with no vehicle to get their and showers that worked 25% of the time and left you dirtier than when you went in.that was my fob mid deployment,after much was built,when i first got their that entire area in the film was an emtpy field except the towers and the turtle ditch.we landed boots on groundin a german camp and had to build the american side up,if you could see what it looks like now from what it was when we got their,you wouldt believe it was the same camp.

    my experience was easy compared to other soldiers who had to sleep in trenches,perform guard duty in towers made from sand bags they filled for days straight,live off mre's for every meal because it was too dangerous to ship real food to a tiny outpost,and face constant attacks.also to mention many tiny outposts dont have running water or latrines,rather they shower on the rare occasion they get extra water and use rags to wipe themselves down to conserve it,and have to build latrines out of dug up holes and 55 gallon drums with a hole cut into it,they also had to burn it when it was full by pouring diesel/jp8 into the hole lighting it and stirring it to dissenfect it before buring it.

    soldiers do earn what they get,anyone who thinks otherwise has probably never seen what the military does or has never deployed like the large amount of military have.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  7. #147
    Student Airborne375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Last Seen
    10-21-12 @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    276

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I guess I view them that way because of the way groups like the VFW lobby like union leaders for them. I hate the attitude of most union workers and I see that attitude permeating into our military. I hate when guys act like they "rate" something. IMO, we are given a paycheck/allowances (housing, etc) and medical/dental. Everything after that is an entitlement. I believe we are, as a whole, very unappreciative of them
    I dislike those large veterans organizations as well. They are pandering the service of everyone and not just their own. I'm yet to hear a VFW or American Legion speech mention.. For the members of our organization we ask you to.. It's always in the name of the nation's veterans we ask you.. That tends to irk me. I promised myself I would not knock other service members for the duration of the Wars. But there are people who earn those things you were/are speaking about and those who are just playing the game.
    If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line.. But, it better work this time. - Dave Mustaine
    It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word. - Andrew Jackson
    Sue Sponte - Motto

  8. #148
    Student Airborne375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Last Seen
    10-21-12 @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    276

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Yes, understood. I think technically any benefit can really be described an entitlement since they are not salary related, but yeah, the word has a terrible connotation to it. We are here on a debate forum so I think its ok to discuss it, but day to day I would not go around telling military people that their benefits are entitlements because in my opinion they've earned anything they receive and more.
    An excellent Point.
    If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line.. But, it better work this time. - Dave Mustaine
    It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word. - Andrew Jackson
    Sue Sponte - Motto

  9. #149
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: What should military members be willing to sacrifice first?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I guess I view them that way because of the way groups like the VFW lobby like union leaders for them. I hate the attitude of most union workers and I see that attitude permeating into our military. I hate when guys act like they "rate" something. IMO, we are given a paycheck/allowances (housing, etc) and medical/dental. Everything after that is an entitlement. I believe we are, as a whole, very unappreciative of them
    I'd agree with that. In times of plenty, sure, I love the fact that I have the option to "retire" at 44. In times where we are staring at a stark budget? How can I ask my friends and family to work hard from age 44 to age 67 to send me a check twice a month for doing nothing? But you bring this up and folks act like you are asking them to murder children. No, man, I'm breaking the myth that you are so uber-special. You got the GI Bill to help you out post-military, a million other side benefits from the States, the VA, etc; and we don't have the money to get the Cadillac deals anymore.
    Last edited by cpwill; 07-07-12 at 06:29 AM.

  10. #150
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    We earned some of them......and like you said, we also volunteered for the hardships. I'm not saying military guys don't deserve some benefits. From the head trauma, back/knee, and shoulder issues I have developed, I plan on compensation for it. But I also think we should be willing to give up some things. Namely retirement age IMO. The gov't could save massive amounts of money if the military retired at 55 vice immediately upon retirement. If we picked up a bigger chunk of the co-pay from injuries/sickness not related to military service it would help a lot.
    If we would just stop being so wasteful it would help. I'm talking down at the enlisted level. Everday, run of the mill servicemembers waste a lot of materials just because they don't personally pay for it. Leaders should be graded on how fiscally responsible they are just as much as how tactically proficient they are. You can't go to war without the bullets, beans, and bandages, no matter how tactically proficient a unit is. If you pit a great tactical General against a great logistical General, I bet you the logistical General wins 8 times out of 10.
    And what of those who have done nothing for this country?

    What fo they sacrifice?

    You already sacrificed. Its honorable to stand up and say you will again.

    But until everyone else does, you should not have to.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •