View Poll Results: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 65.12%
  • No

    15 34.88%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

  1. #1
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm thinking of Windows XP that doesn't recognize more than 2 GIG of RAM.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Fist of all, you don't need 2 GB on XP machine.
    Second, yes, it should be illegal and so should be every secret agreement to manipulate the world affairs.




  3. #3
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    How exactly is this going to be pulled off. Is the government going to require companies to use a certain number of patents? Will regulators examine products to make sure that they are "advanced enough" before they are released? I can see a lot of companies not producing things or jacking up prices so that they conform to the rules. This might make some products a bit better, but I cannot possibly think that the costs wont be passed on to consumers. As much as a I hate companies doing this sort of thing, I can't think of a way of using regulation to stop it. Perhaps a better way would be to put limits on patents to limit patent trolling. This way more companies could take advantage of new technologies, and force greater competition.
    Last edited by DrunkenAsparagus; 07-02-12 at 05:10 PM.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #4
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm thinking of Windows XP that doesn't recognize more than 2 GIG of RAM.
    Xp recognizes up to 4 gigs of total system memory, counting cache, motherboard ram and video ram.

    At the time it, it didn't make sense to program the software to recognize more than that.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #5
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Eh no, I get what your saying but, no. As Lew states in his article: "would you rather pay 200$ for a blender that last 30 years or a 10$ blender that last 5 years". If someone is producing an inferior product, why would you not just buy a better product? The free market tends to weed these things out, though patents help protect inventors/manufactuers, they actually hurt the consumer by not allowing competition to increase quality or lower cost by finding better ways to produce the product.

  6. #6
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    ...wouldn't that lead to stagnation in regards to technological advancement? Microsoft creates new a new OS to improve upon the previous OS (as does Apple, and all those who constantly work on Linux). If a company is forced by law to make something as advanced/long lasting as possible, we're still stuck with the limitations of available ideas and technological discovery for that particular time.

    I'd rather promote the rapid-fire progression of technology. I totally understand and accept that the laptop I paid $480 for in January is probably only worth about half that now because newer, faster, more powerful units pop up almost weekly. That's fine. I'll still be able to use it for quite some time before it needs replacing. I don't use any programs that require repeated or extensive updating, so I'll not likely be limited by the exclusion of my OS from new software developments (seriously...some software is still compatible with Windows98....I think I'm fine with Windows7 for awhile...).
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #7
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Planned obsolescence is when your washing machine is designed to break after a few years to make you buy a new one. Computers simply have such rapid advancement that its impossible to make anything that won't quickly be replaced by something better. Your old machine won't stop working, but most people are willing to spend a relatively small amount of money to get the vastly superior model.

  8. #8
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    How exactly is this going to be pulled off. Is the government going to require companies to use a certain number of patents? Will regulators examine products to make sure that they are "advanced enough" before they are released? I can see a lot of companies not producing things or jacking up prices so that they conform to the rules. This might make some products a bit better, but I cannot possibly think that the costs wont be passed on to consumers. As much as a I hate companies doing this sort of thing, I can't think of a way of using regulation to stop it. Perhaps a better way would be to put limits on patents to limit patent trolling. This way more companies could take advantage of new technologies, and force greater competition.
    I can think of a way:

    US Law 45q8u7543.2

    planned obsolescence is hereby made illegal.
    Courts decide the rest, TADAA.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  9. #9
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    ...wouldn't that lead to stagnation in regards to technological advancement? Microsoft creates new a new OS to improve upon the previous OS (as does Apple, and all those who constantly work on Linux). If a company is forced by law to make something as advanced/long lasting as possible, we're still stuck with the limitations of available ideas and technological discovery for that particular time.

    I'd rather promote the rapid-fire progression of technology. I totally understand and accept that the laptop I paid $480 for in January is probably only worth about half that now because newer, faster, more powerful units pop up almost weekly. That's fine. I'll still be able to use it for quite some time before it needs replacing. I don't use any programs that require repeated or extensive updating, so I'll not likely be limited by the exclusion of my OS from new software developments (seriously...some software is still compatible with Windows98....I think I'm fine with Windows7 for awhile...).
    Windows XP not recognizing more than 2GB is not a hardware problem, it's a matter of flipping a switch to allow more gig to be used.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  10. #10
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Eh no, I get what your saying but, no. As Lew states in his article: "would you rather pay 200$ for a blender that last 30 years or a 10$ blender that last 5 years".
    Problem with that is that all manufacturers follow the most profitable manufacturer's example = lying to the consumer.

    If someone is producing an inferior product, why would you not just buy a better product?
    "planned obsolescence"

    The free market tends to weed these things out,
    No it doesn't.

    though patents help protect inventors/manufactuers, they actually hurt the consumer by not allowing competition to increase quality or lower cost by finding better ways to produce the product.
    If it weren't for a patent system you'd still be cutting wheat stalks with a sickle.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •