View Poll Results: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 65.12%
  • No

    15 34.88%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78

Thread: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

  1. #11
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Xp recognizes up to 4 gigs of total system memory, counting cache, motherboard ram and video ram.

    At the time it, it didn't make sense to program the software to recognize more than that.
    There's no such thing as, "Too much RAM" no matter what decade you live in.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  2. #12
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Xp recognizes up to 4 gigs of total system memory, counting cache, motherboard ram and video ram.
    Almost.

    On X86 systems, it's 4GB, on X64 systems, it's 128 GB maximum.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  3. #13
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'm thinking of Windows XP that doesn't recognize more than 2 GIG of RAM.
    Its actually ~3.3gb (usable) and in 2003 that was a ****ton of memory.

    Also, it can go to more than 4gb with an x86 architecture using stuff like PAE which is like the 32bit version of himem.sys with all the included suckiness. Better to just go to 64bit and be done with it for the next couple of decades at least (probably much much longer)
    Last edited by tacomancer; 07-03-12 at 01:29 PM.

  4. #14
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Planned obsolescence is when your washing machine is designed to break after a few years to make you buy a new one. Computers simply have such rapid advancement that its impossible to make anything that won't quickly be replaced by something better. Your old machine won't stop working, but most people are willing to spend a relatively small amount of money to get the vastly superior model.
    Oh they can design a washing machine that will probably last you forever, but strap yourself in before looking at the pricetag.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Oh they can design a washing machine that will probably last you forever, but strap yourself in before looking at the pricetag.
    I get that, and in general save up for the "quality" product over the "disposable" one. I don't have lots of stuff, but what I do have tends to be top notch.

    One thing though. Imagine a world where everything is the BEST thing instead of the most profitable in the short term. If that washing machine lasts forever, then it will be "passed down" to someone who can't afford it new when someone who can upgrades.

    Theoretically, our "discards" would eventually become the property of the very poor, possibly in other countries.

    Its a fundamentally different model, but one where resources are conserved and waste minimized.

    Unfortunately it would limit bonus justifying short term profits, so it ain't gonna happen.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    It's worked wonders for the car industry...

  7. #17
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    There was a car manufacturere in the U.S. years ago by the name of Packard automotive, they made the best cars from a mechanical standpoint and actually sold competitively for a while, they went out of business for one key reason, they couldn't sell enough parts to keep profits up. The cars were a bit pricier than other vehicles but they didn't break as often, so while people were keeping the Chevy's, Fords, etc. for the vehicle's life cycles they were buying replacement parts while Packards were lasting longer and selling few parts in comparison, due to those two factors the company could not sustain a profitable margin. Companies started going to the planned obsolesence model years ago to maintain a minimal demand curve while keeping maximum consumers in the market by offering products with a shorter life cycle.

    Should it be illegal? Hell no, as many have pointed out consumers can buy a very expensive product with a very long life cycle and all the amenities, but they aren't prohibited from the market's entry level by prices out of their range, they will spend a mere fraction of what they would spend on the highest end product and get more utility than the actual price. Finally, with the constant improvements and rapid pace of such, consumers actually end up with a superior product for an equal or better price to that which they replaced.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #18
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I get that, and in general save up for the "quality" product over the "disposable" one. I don't have lots of stuff, but what I do have tends to be top notch.

    One thing though. Imagine a world where everything is the BEST thing instead of the most profitable in the short term. If that washing machine lasts forever, then it will be "passed down" to someone who can't afford it new when someone who can upgrades.

    Theoretically, our "discards" would eventually become the property of the very poor, possibly in other countries.

    Its a fundamentally different model, but one where resources are conserved and waste minimized.

    Unfortunately it would limit bonus justifying short term profits, so it ain't gonna happen.
    You need to stop looking at everything in terms of a narrow concept of profit and greed. It's not that simple.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You need to stop looking at everything in terms of a narrow concept of profit and greed. It's not that simple.
    Its not "narrow" when virtually every thing and every institution is the one that yields the highest short term profit.

    That is the metric by which almost everything in our society is judged.

    Parse our society with Occams Razor and "short term profit" is the primary result.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #20
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    Re: Should planned obsolescence be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    There was a car manufacturere in the U.S. years ago by the name of Packard automotive, they made the best cars from a mechanical standpoint and actually sold competitively for a while, they went out of business for one key reason, they couldn't sell enough parts to keep profits up. The cars were a bit pricier than other vehicles but they didn't break as often, so while people were keeping the Chevy's, Fords, etc. for the vehicle's life cycles they were buying replacement parts while Packards were lasting longer and selling few parts in comparison, due to those two factors the company could not sustain a profitable margin. Companies started going to the planned obsolesence model years ago to maintain a minimal demand curve while keeping maximum consumers in the market by offering products with a shorter life cycle.

    Should it be illegal? Hell no, as many have pointed out consumers can buy a very expensive product with a very long life cycle and all the amenities, but they aren't prohibited from the market's entry level by prices out of their range, they will spend a mere fraction of what they would spend on the highest end product and get more utility than the actual price. Finally, with the constant improvements and rapid pace of such, consumers actually end up with a superior product for an equal or better price to that which they replaced.
    So in your world products that break down are superior.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •