View Poll Results: What do you think about "planned obsolescence"?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's real

    17 70.83%
  • It's a myth

    0 0%
  • It's real but as an exception

    1 4.17%
  • Dunno

    3 12.50%
  • I don't care

    3 12.50%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: Planned obsolescence

  1. #41
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    You mean like 2 years with the lights on?
    I don't know how they rate them. I just know that I've had them for about a year and a half with no problems so far. If they go out a month early, or whatever, I'm not going to cry about it. These energy efficient 8 dollar bulbs have already paid for themselves, considering the cost saved on both bulb replacement and energy cost. Personally, I only got them because I hate changing light bulbs.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #42
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    It's no use man, they have an agenda to sell, and logic need not apply. The reason why cheap bulbs burned out faster is because the filaments were thinner. The reason why filaments were made thinner was to make them affordable enough for anyone to buy. By doing so, they vastly expanded their customer base, while greatly lowering production cost. Therefore, the cheaper bulbs became more popular. What isn't stated is that long lasting bulbs (the bulbs I have will last up to 2 years) are available, but at a higher cost. The higher cost is due to higher cost of material and production.
    some of us Americans seem to think we should get the best of everything at the lowest price because it is our constitutional right.
    IOW, we are a spoiled people...
    when the big whoop over "banned incandescent light bulbs" debate was going on, I saw an opportunity to buy some of those "gubmint mandated CFL bulbs" at a very cheap price. The local utility was donating them to GoodWill, and GW was selling them for $1 a blister pack of 2 each, in 60 and 75 and 100 watts.....I have enough to last me the rest of my life, or until the gubmint bans them and makes us buy LED bulbs.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #43
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    I don't know how they rate them. I just know that I've had them for about a year and a half with no problems so far. If they go out a month early, or whatever, I'm not going to cry about it. These energy efficient 8 dollar bulbs have already paid for themselves, considering the cost saved on both bulb replacement and energy cost. Personally, I only got them because I hate changing light bulbs.
    The kitchen in our AZ house had 8 each 75 watt floods directly overhead....talk about HOT....
    I replaced them with CFL floods and now we can cook without getting cooked....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #44
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    some of us Americans seem to think we should get the best of everything at the lowest price because it is our constitutional right.
    IOW, we are a spoiled people...
    when the big whoop over "banned incandescent light bulbs" debate was going on, I saw an opportunity to buy some of those "gubmint mandated CFL bulbs" at a very cheap price. The local utility was donating them to GoodWill, and GW was selling them for $1 a blister pack of 2 each, in 60 and 75 and 100 watts.....I have enough to last me the rest of my life, or until the gubmint bans them and makes us buy LED bulbs.
    Wait, they banned incandescent bulbs? I'm not saying I'll miss them, since I don't use them anymore, but I didn't think they'd ever be banned. If I could ever find LED bulbs that had a regular sized screw in socket, I'd buy them. So far, all I've seen are the ones with the night lite sized sockets. I love LED, all my flashlights have LED bulbs. They don't get hot, they're bright, and they last forever.

    The kitchen in our AZ house had 8 each 75 watt floods directly overhead....talk about HOT....
    I replaced them with CFL floods and now we can cook without getting cooked....
    This apartment uses florescent tubes for kitchen lighting. Old ones too, so it takes forever to get any light in there. If any bulb needed to be banned, it's those ****ing things.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #45
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    The kitchen in our AZ house had 8 each 75 watt floods directly overhead....talk about HOT....
    I replaced them with CFL floods and now we can cook without getting cooked....
    Some clothing stores are the same way. Stand near the displays and you sweat to death.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #46
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Wait, they banned incandescent bulbs? I'm not saying I'll miss them, since I don't use them anymore, but I didn't think they'd ever be banned. If I could ever find LED bulbs that had a regular sized screw in socket, I'd buy them. So far, all I've seen are the ones with the night lite sized sockets. I love LED, all my flashlights have LED bulbs. They don't get hot, they're bright, and they last forever.


    This apartment uses florescent tubes for kitchen lighting. Old ones too, so it takes forever to get any light in there. If any bulb needed to be banned, it's those ****ing things.
    yu mean you missed the great light bulb debate? what a treat !! people were incensed that the gubmint was going to ban their light bulbs....LSS, there wasn't much of a ban and it was only the 100 watt bulbs, or something like that. Some people were ready to nuke the communists in congess over the issue...I think it was only surpassed by the Michelle Obama nanny state thing over giving school kids healthier options for lunch. Damn that woman! What an evil thing, encouraging our fat kids to give up their fatty foods and offering them alternatives......surely she is a socialist scourge on America....
    But, back to planned obsolescence.....have you heard of the death panels? It's a way of getting Americans to replace their old grandparents with newer models, with features currently available on the old models...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    are we supposed to just believe the opening statement about the first light bulbs lasting 2500 hours?
    it that isn't true, and I think it isn't, the rest of the video is bogus....
    It possibley is true

    Bulbs back then would not put out the amount of light they do now, and the filament was thicker allowing them to last longer. The lower output would put less stress on the filament, and the thicker filament would allow it to last longer

    This means that a 5% reduction in operating voltage will more than double the life of the bulb, at the expense of reducing its light output by about 20%. This may be a very acceptable trade off for a light bulb that is in a difficult-to-access location (for example, traffic lights or fixtures hung from high ceilings). Long-life bulbs take advantage of this trade-off. Since the value of the electric power they consume is much more than the value of the lamp, general service lamps emphasize efficiency over long operating life. The objective is to minimize the cost of light, not the cost of lamps.[34]

    The relationships above are valid for only a few percent change of voltage around rated conditions, but they do indicate that a lamp operated at much lower than rated voltage could last for hundreds of times longer than at rated conditions, albeit with greatly reduced light output. The Centennial Light is a light bulb that is accepted by the Guinness Book of World Records as having been burning almost continuously at a fire station in Livermore, California, since 1901. However, the bulb is powered by only four watts. A similar story can be told of a 40-watt bulb in Texas that has been illuminated since 21 September 1908. It once resided in an opera house where notable celebrities stopped to take in its glow, but is now in an area museum.[74]
    Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  8. #48
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Wait, they banned incandescent bulbs? I'm not saying I'll miss them, since I don't use them anymore, but I didn't think they'd ever be banned. If I could ever find LED bulbs that had a regular sized screw in socket, I'd buy them. So far, all I've seen are the ones with the night lite sized sockets. I love LED, all my flashlights have LED bulbs. They don't get hot, they're bright, and they last forever.


    This apartment uses florescent tubes for kitchen lighting. Old ones too, so it takes forever to get any light in there. If any bulb needed to be banned, it's those ****ing things.


    I have 4 regular socket LED light bulbs

    The do not have the Lumen output of incandesent bulbs, but they use 1/10th of the energy and last 4 times as long
    They are not cheap however at I think 20 times the price of regular incandescent bulbs
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  9. #49
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    yu mean you missed the great light bulb debate? what a treat !! people were incensed that the gubmint was going to ban their light bulbs....LSS, there wasn't much of a ban and it was only the 100 watt bulbs, or something like that. Some people were ready to nuke the communists in congess over the issue...I think it was only surpassed by the Michelle Obama nanny state thing over giving school kids healthier options for lunch. Damn that woman! What an evil thing, encouraging our fat kids to give up their fatty foods and offering them alternatives......surely she is a socialist scourge on America....
    Sounds like the usual for American politics. I figure they could have bypassed all of that nonsense by simply offering some kind of incentive to phase out the incandescent. Oh well, haters gon hate. And good for Ms Obama for taking an initiative on childhood obesity. Honestly, I'd have all the junk food removed from schools. All the vending machines, the soda machines, greasy pizzas, all of it. My tax dollars are paying for these kids to go to school and learn, not get fat off crap my tax dollars are providing.

    But, back to planned obsolescence.....have you heard of the death panels? It's a way of getting Americans to replace their old grandparents with newer models, with features currently available on the old models...
    I've only heard of it used in reference to universal health care, where the "death panel" is a panel of "judges" or whatever that decides if someone should get healthcare or not. Orwellian hyperbole.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  10. #50
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Planned obsolescence

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    I have 4 regular socket LED light bulbs

    The do not have the Lumen output of incandesent bulbs, but they use 1/10th of the energy and last 4 times as long
    They are not cheap however at I think 20 times the price of regular incandescent bulbs
    I've been looking them up since last time, there's some pretty neat developments coming out. Expensive as hell, but factor in that they're projected to last somewhere in the ballpark of 17 years, and the cost really isn't that bad compared to 17 years of changing regular bulbs.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •