View Poll Results: Should parents be able to enroll their children under the age of 26?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 63.33%
  • No

    11 36.67%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 89

Thread: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

  1. #11
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It requires insurance rates to increase for ALL "family" plans as if they could remain covered until age 26,
    Why would covering 19-26 year olds cause the rates of family plans to increase? You still have to pay for the extra person on your plan, and they probably consume less health care than the average person...
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    I see no problem with this, the 'unlimited cap' or the 'pre-existing provision'. I believe the underlying motivation in these was to get the 'Health industry complex' to fall in line with ACA. I also have believed for a long time that there are risks associated with each of these provisions. HI companies are in the risk coverage business. They should be able to ascertain some premium commensurate with each risk. To the OP, it is a win for the HIC as is commonly said this group (19-26yo) is typically uninsured. By allowing them to be covered by their parents policy potentially the HIC will receive higher revenues than through the alternative.
    Last edited by Dickieboy; 06-29-12 at 11:49 PM.

  3. #13
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It requires insurance rates to increase for ALL "family" plans as if they could remain covered until age 26, about 1/3 longer than before. In this share the cost of all in the village mentality, it costs us all more to extend benefits to "just a few more"; a working 19 year old should not have to help support a "dependent" 25 year old.
    No, that doesn't make sense... If you want to keep your kid on the family plan longer, you would be paying the higher family plan rate for longer. It wouldn't change the cost of it unless young adults between 18 and 25 cost more per year than kids between 0 and 18, but it's actually the other way around.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  4. #14
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    If a 24 yr old "kid" has their own kid, does that kid's kid get included on the (grand)parent's plan?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #15
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,043

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    Can anyone explain how the govt. came up with age 26?
    Things are so bizzar in this country. 18 you can die for your country, but can't drink till 21. Now you can be carried by your parents health care till 26. Why not 30 or 50, or till the parents die.

  6. #16
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    It's weird that 5 of you have voted against it, but so far nobody has managed to come up with anything it hurts.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #17
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    It's weird that 5 of you have voted against it, but so far nobody has managed to come up with anything it hurts.
    I voted against it and stated the alternative I would rather have. Im not sure it hurts anything but I am not sure why they chose that particular method. At 26 you are an adult and should be treated as such. Being on your parents (anything) at that age just seems clingy to me.

  8. #18
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    I voted against it and stated the alternative I would rather have. Im not sure it hurts anything but I am not sure why they chose that particular method. At 26 you are an adult and should be treated as such. Being on your parents (anything) at that age just seems clingy to me.
    Something seeming clingy doesn't really carry any weight in a policy discussion though IMO. Giving families that option seems like a good idea to me. Everybody is in different situations. Maybe some families will use it as a way to help their kids avoid taking on too much education debt. Maybe they use it to help kids who graduated college in the midst of the recession and got kind of screwed by it get through the rough spot. Who knows. I don't really see how it is any of my business why somebody might want to do it, so without a significant disadvantage to letting people have that option, I think it's a positive thing.

    Your alternative and this plan aren't really much different. If a family wanted to charge their kid for remaining on their coverage, they could do that under the ACA. Likewise, under your plan they could chip in to pay for their kids' insurance. The result would be the same either way.

    As a world we're steadily heading towards people needing to spend more and more time getting themselves educated. It makes sense that at least some parents would want to help their kids out a bit longer if they're going later in life before they start working.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have been against this provision from Day One.

    26? Really? At what point are people adults and responsible for themselves? An argument can be made for 18-21 IF still in school... and even then I'm not really thrilled about it, but can accept it... but beyond that, no.
    Why ... my sons are in college and they could not afford a private policy. If the children were on the family policy ...whether students or in entry level jobs most cannot afford to buy insurance and therefore would be uninsured and if a catastrophic accident occurs the tax payers would have this burden of millions of uninsured.

    If a family can continue this family policy to cover the children as they secure their futures in college, entry level jobs or as an apprentice why not have them insured?

    Why would any American citizen oppose this ... having more young Americans insured and being responsible as a family group?

    The young adults that do not go to school that begin entry level work or the few that start a business cannot afford hundreds each month to open a new policy. This provision helps families and saves billions in tax dollars as there would simply be uninsured young adults and the unfortunate percentage that have a catastrophic incident have coverage now ...instead of landing comatose or paraplegic after an MVA and then on medicaid and burdening the tax payers further.

    Think critically people!

  10. #20
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Policies of the ACA: Young Adults on their Parents' Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Something seeming clingy doesn't really carry any weight in a policy discussion though IMO. Giving families that option seems like a good idea to me. Everybody is in different situations. Maybe some families will use it as a way to help their kids avoid taking on too much education debt. Maybe they use it to help kids who graduated college in the midst of the recession and got kind of screwed by it get through the rough spot. Who knows. I don't really see how it is any of my business why somebody might want to do it, so without a significant disadvantage to letting people have that option, I think it's a positive thing.

    Your alternative and this plan aren't really much different. If a family wanted to charge their kid for remaining on their coverage, they could do that under the ACA. Likewise, under your plan they could chip in to pay for their kids' insurance. The result would be the same either way.

    As a world we're steadily heading towards people needing to spend more and more time getting themselves educated. It makes sense that at least some parents would want to help their kids out a bit longer if they're going later in life before they start working.
    Yes I agree, there really isnt much difference about my preferred method and this other then one seems to place the responsibility on the young adult and the other on the parent. The semblance of moving toward independence and self reliance can be an important thing to a young adult even if its not really much different then what they had before. I mean parents have always had the option to pay for their adult children insurance, just not as directly as they can now.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •