View Poll Results: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 43.33%
  • No

    17 56.67%
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 225

Thread: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

  1. #51
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Considering that one of the more popular libertarian buzzwords is "slavery" (regarding taxation), then of course the answer is 'no'.

    Then again, keep in mind that many of our founding fathers, whom many would hold up as libertarian-esque, also used the phrase "...all men are created equal..." in the Declaration of Independence, yet obviously didn't live the concept.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Considering that one of the more popular libertarian buzzwords is "slavery" (regarding taxation), then of course the answer is 'no'.

    Then again, keep in mind that many of our founding fathers, whom many would hold up as libertarian-esque, also used the phrase "...all men are created equal..." in the Declaration of Independence, yet obviously didn't live the concept.
    It could be argued that those who signed the DofI did believe "...all men are created equal..." it's just that they didn't think women were equal nor were those of non-European ancestry which included not only African slaves but also the Native Americans, to be considered "men"

    It was a very different world the Founding Fathers lived in and much of the conflict about meaning to be found in the words of the Founding Fathers is simply because most Americans really don't understand those differences.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  3. #53
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Yes, a racist libertarian would not see a conflict ...
    lol

    Not believing they were not human, does not a racist make.

    But, for the sake of the argument I am sure there were some who saw them as human and inferior. But that does not imply that they believed their own race was superior to all others. Just that the other was inferior.
    But I am also sure there were some of those types also.


    So what do we call the African's that enslaved their own and sold them into slavery? Were they racists also, because there was differences between Tribes, or just Tribalists (lol), perhaps believing that other Tribes were inferior, or that their Tribe was superior top all others?
    And what do we call the free blacks in the US that owned slaves as well? Just a slaver?



    The point of all this being is, there is no conflict with being a libertarian at the time, and owning slaves.

  4. #54
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    In that era, blacks were considered to be animals, not humans and having a slave was like owning a dog today. That sure doesn't make it right but that's how it was.

    Look at some of our behavior in these "enlightened" times. We kill wantonly from thousands of miles away. We own weapons that could shatter the Earth.

    In 200 years, when the computer is implanted in your brain, you'll be discussing the wrongness of drones and atomics in the 21st Century.

  5. #55
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    lol

    Not believing they were not human, does not a racist make.


    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    But, for the sake of the argument I am sure there were some who saw them as human and inferior. But that does not imply that they believed their own race was superior to all others. Just that the other was inferior.
    But I am also sure there were some of those types also.

    So what do we call the African's that enslaved their own and sold them into slavery? Were they racists also, because there was differences between Tribes, or just Tribalists (lol), perhaps believing that other Tribes were inferior, or that their Tribe was superior top all others?
    And what do we call the free blacks in the US that owned slaves as well? Just a slaver?

    The point of all this being is, there is no conflict with being a libertarian at the time, and owning slaves.
    Yes, a racist libertarian would not see a conflict ...

  6. #56
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Seeing as most modern day libertarians base their philosophy off of the principle of non-agression, keeping a human being as a slave against their will would be a giant, inexcusable contradiction.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post




    Yes, a racist libertarian would not see a conflict ...
    Wrong!




    Because you missed the iterated point of what I said.
    Last edited by Excon; 06-25-12 at 08:45 PM.

  8. #58
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Wrong!




    Because you missed the iterated point of what I said.
    Yes because pretending minorities are not human is sooooooooooo different from the type of racism you bring up

  9. #59
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Yes because pretending minorities are not human is sooooooooooo different from the type of racism you bring up
    Apparently you lack an understanding of what racist really means.

  10. #60
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Can you be a slave owner and a libertarian at the same time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Apparently you lack an understanding of what racist really means.
    I am not the one trying to defend your racism in some bad attempt at a technicality. You are amusing though.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •