View Poll Results: Should government exist... at all?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 86.27%
  • No

    7 13.73%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: Should government exist... at all?

  1. #21
    Cammunist Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    986

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Yes, at the current time, what problems would you say are only able to be solved by government?
    Correcting externalities on multiple parties cased by voluntary trade.

    That wasn't so hard, was it?

  2. #22
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    What problem is unable to be solved?
    Any problem that needs to be solved is going to involve a portion of the population that will not go along with it for one reason or another, they will impede solutions or progress.

  3. #23
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,683
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Of course "government" should exist. Unchecked anarchy and survival of the fittest are not societies in which I'd want to live.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Correcting externalities on multiple parties cased by voluntary trade.
    I don't quite understand what you mean. Could you explain further?

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by jpevans View Post
    No not at all, but they are the only entity that would do it. Pay for it, I mean. Taxes are for the public works such as these, civilians often do the calculations, labor etc.
    It would be absurd to take up a collection to build a massive project, like a congregation does to build a church, for example.
    Government is the only one who wold be able, thus creating Living wage jobs, the workers will be Tax Payers & roll on.
    I think I understand. Only the government would provide the solution to building roads, water mains, bridges, and dams.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Any problem that needs to be solved is going to involve a portion of the population that will not go along with it for one reason or another, they will impede solutions or progress.
    Can you give an example of the sort of problem you have in mind? We've already got the problem of building roads, water mains, bridges, tunnels, and dams.

  7. #27
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Can you give an example of the sort of problem you have in mind? We've already got the problem of building roads, water mains, bridges, tunnels, and dams.
    Mostly I am thinking of structural improvements, such as mass education, some sort of health care system, communications systems, safety net. That sort of stuff. It's better for society to have these things and we all end up better off because of them, but there will always be some who don't like one or more improvement for one reason or another, it's better to not let them drag down the rest of society with them in their ignorance.

  8. #28
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    I think I understand. Only the government would provide the solution to building roads, water mains, bridges, and dams.
    You're trying to get people to paint themselves into a corner and not really participating in the conversation.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Mostly I am thinking of structural improvements, such as mass education, some sort of health care system, communications systems, safety net. That sort of stuff. It's better for society to have these things and we all end up better off because of them, but there will always be some who don't like one or more improvement for one reason or another, it's better to not let them drag down the rest of society with them in their ignorance.
    So you're saying the the problems of educating people, providing health care, building communications systems, and caring for the indigent cannot be solved by any other agency than government?

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Should government exist... at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You're trying to get people to paint themselves into a corner and not really participating in the conversation.
    I'm trying to better understand the arguments for why government is necessary.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •