View Poll Results: should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 18.18%
  • No

    36 81.82%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 130

Thread: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Heres my experience with Truancy, I was head of security for a large Alternative HS in NJ after retiring. The school was full of kids that had failed or been tossed out of regular HS for everything from Atrocious assaults...robbery, drugs and truancy...the whole gamut of screwed up.
    The policy of the Alternative School was you miss 35 days in a year you fail....NO ONE FAILED, only the kids that didnt come at all for months.
    That is not a truancy policy. I agree that suspending kids for truancy doesnt work...but what does...NOTHING ...the only weapon you have is eventual expulsion and that will only work if they care.\
    Public education has to stop worrying about individual child acheivements or small groups..that have to let some just GO, fail them throw them out on their ear and look at the big goal..>EDUCATING THE MOST KIDS YOU CAN. You cant save them all and were spending too much money and time on the ones that are unsalvageable. Its not fair to all the good kids to keep the dirtbag kids around far longer than you should with them disrupting everything.
    Unfortunately in some states each student has a dollar value...for every student that they lose the school loses 6,000 to 10,000 that has got to stop too.
    Some schools refuse to hold kids back and move forward morons that cant possibly do the work at that level...they do that to keep thier Success Statistics up...its WRONG the whole need to have to lie and keep dirtbag kids in schools for funding and the appearance of success SUCKS...We need to get back to keeping johnny back and if johnny continues to be a little rectum then for the good of all the other kids Little Johnny gets thrown out on his arse
    Then it would seem that a truancy policy isn't to correct the student's behavior, but to trim a dead limb off for the sake of the rest of the student body's academic health.

  2. #72
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then it would seem that a truancy policy isn't to correct the student's behavior, but to trim a dead limb off for the sake of the rest of the student body's academic health.
    Look Jerry, I was responsible for having phone calls made to the homes of truant students...nothing works if the kid has the mindset he does not want to come to school and he has less than stellar parents. What do you do ? you cant forcibly drag him to school, you cant suspend him that serves no purpose. Whats left get his parents fined ? arrested ? the only choice is to keep him back in the grade if he miss' X amt of days and eventually expel them....there are no other choices except to just let them do what they want...spend a FORTUNE on them and hand them a diploma so they can work in McDonalds that has to have pictures of hamburgers and soda on the register keys cuz the morons couldnt work a regular register...If anyone comes up with any bright ideas I would like to hear them...that doenst cost half a million a student that is

  3. #73
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Look Jerry, I was responsible for having phone calls made to the homes of truant students...nothing works if the kid has the mindset he does not want to come to school and he has less than stellar parents. What do you do ? you cant forcibly drag him to school, you cant suspend him that serves no purpose. Whats left get his parents fined ? arrested ? the only choice is to keep him back in the grade if he miss' X amt of days and eventually expel them....there are no other choices except to just let them do what they want...spend a FORTUNE on them and hand them a diploma so they can work in McDonalds that has to have pictures of hamburgers and soda on the register keys cuz the morons couldnt work a regular register...If anyone comes up with any bright ideas I would like to hear them...that doenst cost half a million a student that is
    In the UK, parents can be fined (and even jailed, in extreme cases) if they allow their children to truant their education - given that alowing truancy is arguably child abuse by neglect, this seems fair enough to me. Home-schooling is allowed, but only if it meets certain standards. If parents are trying to get their child to school but are having difficulties, a social worker can be allocated to their case - and a government-sponered scheme to offer 'good parenting' classes is currently being trialed/launched; at a cost to the taxpayer, but not a huge one per-child.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Yes they should be penalized.....

    A child's "job" is to get an education. In order to do that they need to be in school. I'm in favor of expelling ANY student who misses a certain number of class days without proper excuse (medical mostly). Obviously they aren't interested in being there, and just like if I failed to show up for my job I would be fired, they should be removed from the system.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Look Jerry, I was responsible for having phone calls made to the homes of truant students...nothing works if the kid has the mindset he does not want to come to school and he has less than stellar parents. What do you do ? you cant forcibly drag him to school, you cant suspend him that serves no purpose. Whats left get his parents fined ? arrested ? the only choice is to keep him back in the grade if he miss' X amt of days and eventually expel them....there are no other choices except to just let them do what they want...spend a FORTUNE on them and hand them a diploma so they can work in McDonalds that has to have pictures of hamburgers and soda on the register keys cuz the morons couldnt work a regular register...If anyone comes up with any bright ideas I would like to hear them...that doenst cost half a million a student that is
    Hmm, well, is it possible to convince the public just to not have any truancy policy at all? Big money saver, imo, if these policies don't help anyway. I mean, yeah, tell the kids that they can do what they want. If they miss school and can't pass the class, then they don't get the diploma. Like you said, someone has to work at McDonalds.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    This opinion is FALSE, sorry lol... She was i deed an honor student. So, your opinion, even if a student aces test or grades, its more about time served, not about qualuty? If this was the case then students that never missed a day should be honor students, not ones that actally excel in academics... You should not be leaning conservative lol...

    Edit:

    I see the typos, but thats just this I Pad acting stupid
    There was a another thread all about that kid which is why I ignored it. But I will say the same thing I said in that thread. If you miss X amount of days at work when you're suppose to be there in the adult world what happens?

    You get fired. Even if you do good work.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    There was a another thread all about that kid which is why I ignored it. But I will say the same thing I said in that thread. If you miss X amount of days at work when you're suppose to be there in the adult world what happens?

    You get fired. Even if you do good work.
    At my vo-tech if you miss 10 days, be those days 'excused' or not, you're dropped. Not from a given class, no, you're dropped from the program, out, and it doesn't matter why you missed those days.

    You're also placed on academic probation for the next semester you're enrolled, which means you can't get federal aid.

    ***
    This is a big reason why students try to bring children to class when other arrangement's can't be made. Missing a day simply isn't an option.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-20-12 at 11:48 AM.

  8. #78
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    At my vo-tech if you miss 10 days, be those days 'excused' or not, you're dropped. Not from a given class, no, you're dropped from the program, out, and it doesn't matter why you missed those days.

    You're also placed on academic probation for the next semester you're enrolled, which means you can't get federal aid.

    ***
    This is a big reason why students try to bring children to class when other arrangement's can't be made. Missing a day simply isn't an option.
    Vo-tech, if it means the same thing it used to, is a different deal because the class is mostly hands on, it's not academic. Many college science courses have labs, which are also pretty much mandatory since they're a big part of your grade and you have to perform the experiment. But a good student can ace a math or English course and never set foot in the classroom except to take the tests.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Vo-tech, if it means the same thing it used to, is a different deal because the class is mostly hands on, it's not academic. Many college science courses have labs, which are also pretty much mandatory since they're a big part of your grade and you have to perform the experiment. But a good student can ace a math or English course and never set foot in the classroom except to take the tests.
    You have it correct. Very hands-on. The one I attend offers a degree form of most courses, but it's just an associates.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,698

    Re: Should students be suspended or expelled for truancy/tardiness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    I think few people really think teachers only care about teachers profits. Remember that this was not an union action. It was you trying to change local policies for one school.

    However, I can understand very well why the principal repealed the policy. Your policy failed. 1/3 of the students failed, and that is totally unacceptable. And many of these students are not going to learn their lesson. They are going to drop out, or do the same next year. The problem with your policy is this. If you breach the 15 day limit, then there is no point in attending school.

    The aim was legitimate, but next time you need to think about the unintended consequences of your policies.
    Actually it was indeed a union action. I was the legally elected union representative. I had a legally elected union committee. We legally represented the teaching staff. We did so as the official union people. Our proposal was done in that way as a union proposal.

    Our policy did wonders for improving student attendance among the average student. We saw positive benefits for the majority of the students. The problem is with the bottom group who simply will not come to school on a regular basis and end up failing. For far too many years, I saw administrative policy after administrative policy adopted to simply cater to this group and NOT the average student. They kept trying to come up with ways to cater to this population and they did not seem to care about the negative effects it would have on the average student who was willing to toe the line and obey but was led astray by weak rules and weak policies.

    That was wrong and that was one major factor is ruining the system.

    The principal axed it because she would come under scrutiny from her administrative superiors outside the school.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •