View Poll Results: Tyranny is...

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...when power is held by few. I'm conservative.

    2 14.29%
  • ...when power is held by few. I'm independent.

    2 14.29%
  • ...when power is held by few. I'm liberal.

    3 21.43%
  • ...when power holds everything. I'm conservative.

    2 14.29%
  • ...when power holds everything. I'm independent..

    4 28.57%
  • ...when power holds everything. I'm liberal.

    1 7.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Definition of Tyranny

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    When there is only one dictator, then it's a tyranny. If the dictator is a small group of people (handfull, most likely), it's an oligarchy. The number is the main difference.

    The rest you know.


  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    When I choose to help my neighbor in need, then that is charity; when the gov't forces me to help your neighbor in need, then that is tyranny.
    I honestly chuckled at this. In other words: "When the government forces me to be nice, it's tyranny!" - From the makers of such memorable lines as "empathy gave us the Holocaust" and "pepper spray is just seasoning".
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I honestly chuckled at this. In other words: "When the government forces me to be nice, it's tyranny!" - From the makers of such memorable lines as "empathy gave us the Holocaust" and "pepper spray is just seasoning".
    Who said anything being forced to be nice? Read what is written, please.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-18-12 at 04:47 AM.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    i cant see the poll
    Man...why do people feel it necessary to say they can't see the poll? You don't make the poll when you post the thread. You have to post the OP *first* and then you get to go to the page where you select what kind of poll it is, type in the questions, etc. Jesus man give an OP some time to think about what they're doing. Your post was only 3 minutes after the OP was posted. Calm down. Damn.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Man...why do people feel it necessary to say they can't see the poll? You don't make the poll when you post the thread. You have to post the OP *first* and then you get to go to the page where you select what kind of poll it is, type in the questions, etc. Jesus man give an OP some time to think about what they're doing. Your post was only 3 minutes after the OP was posted. Calm down. Damn.
    May be she's never posted a poll, so she doesn't know how it works.
    I'd personally prefer to type the poll first and OP second, so they can appear at the same time but I guess the software doesn't allow this operation.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    May be she's never posted a poll, so she doesn't know how it works.
    I'd personally prefer to type the poll first and OP second, so they can appear at the same time but I guess the software doesn't allow this operation.
    I'm sorry man, there's a just a lot of polls out there who's first page is ****ed up by someone complaining that they can't see the poll. Well no **** you can't see it, because it's still being made, so calm your tits.

    I feel better now. Carry on.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    When I choose to help my neighbor in need, then that is charity; when the gov't forces me to help your neighbor in need, then that is tyranny. When I am expected to pay for ALL of my own food, clothing and shelter and also forced, by the gov't, to help pay for the food, clothing and shelter for another able bodied citizen, that is tyranny.
    So any tax dollars that go to things that don't directly benefit you fall under tyranny definitions?

    Tax dollars spent on education, schools, roads, hospitals, and general infrastructure are bad if they are things you don't use?

    If you don't have kids but some of your tax dollars are spent on schools that's wrong?
    If roads you never travel on are repaired, or built using tax dollars you pay into that's wrong?

    If you fell on super hard times and where homeless and hungry you would not accept any help from the government?
    Not even if it meant you could feed your children or provide them with a "safer" place to sleep for the night?

    Come on man.....sometimes black & white thinking is very unrealistic.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    tyr·an·ny   [tir-uh-nee] Show IPA
    noun, plural tyr·an·nies.
    1.
    arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power; despotic abuse of authority.
    2.
    the government or rule of a tyrant or absolute ruler.
    3.
    a state ruled by a tyrant or absolute ruler.
    4.
    oppressive or unjustly severe government on the part of any ruler.
    5.
    undue severity or harshness.



    Is it even remotely possible to have such a thing in the USofA when you consider the 3 branches of government, and the fact that all those in power are voted into power by the people? Which means if people want, they can vote those in charge out?

    Plus, there's a term limit on the President.

    When I hear the word tyranny thrown about so freely regarding the USofA I can't help but immediately think somebody is a big Sean Hannity fan.

  9. #19
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So any tax dollars that go to things that don't directly benefit you fall under tyranny definitions?

    Tax dollars spent on education, schools, roads, hospitals, and general infrastructure are bad if they are things you don't use?

    If you don't have kids but some of your tax dollars are spent on schools that's wrong?
    If roads you never travel on are repaired, or built using tax dollars you pay into that's wrong?

    If you fell on super hard times and where homeless and hungry you would not accept any help from the government?
    Not even if it meant you could feed your children or provide them with a "safer" place to sleep for the night?

    Come on man.....sometimes black & white thinking is very unrealistic.
    First of all, we have a constitution that defines limitted federal gov't powers, education and schools are not among those. The construction and maintanence of the interstate highway system is supposed to be funded by the $0.42 federal excise tax on motor fuels, the rest supported by state taxation. I never said that I was against public infrastructure, but that is FAR different from sending out "non-pay" checks to individual citizens, by name, based primarily on attaining complete non-productive status AND producing children that they are not able to support.

    For those that "fall on hard times", as you term it, now a STEADY 12% to 15% of our population, we can NOT afford to spend an average of over $7,500/year on EACH of them. There is a HUGE difference in building and maintaining public "infrastructure" and supporting a permanent gov't dependent underclass. Please allow charity to return to a private function, as 85% of our population has the right to CHOOSE who they decide to help, not have the gov't "make the call". Every attempt at reform of this gov't madness that passes for "a hand up" but is, in fact, "a hand out" and harms this nation by telling folks that it is OK not to support yourselves, you have a right to gov't support, is met with resistance; it is not "fair" to make them remain sober, it is not "fair" to expect them to get a FREE K-12 education and it is not "fair" to restrict their ability to reproduce like bunnies and then use those very children as reason for "compassion".

    If you have a pet that you can not (or will not) provide with food and proper care, the pet is removed to a shelter and you are charged with a crime and fined; if you have a child that you can not (or will not) provide with food and proper care, you are handed a gov't check and rewarded for that careless act, being told that it is not your fault, that you have no NEED to seek private charity, or make some serious changes in your life, it is somehow simply your right to taxpayer support. Is that insane or what?

    See link: Poverty and spending over the years - Federal Safety Net
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-18-12 at 08:24 AM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Definition of Tyranny

    It's interesting how there are more conservatives who have voted on this poll than liberals.

    I was betting that liberals would interpret it as a false dichotomy, so they wouldn't participate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •