View Poll Results: No one besides yourself is responsible for what you put in your mouth?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with this.

    32 65.31%
  • I disagree with this.

    17 34.69%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 175

Thread: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

  1. #51
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, you're the one who said I was wrong. I was looking for you to provide something. We're free to harm oursleves, and I have not suggested otherwise. But I will add, a lot of these choices we make before we're adults. Few adults take up the habit. Children do. But that is another issue.
    When I was a child I was told 'don't do drugs, don't drink, don't smoke . . . this is what happens' and thought 'hey - that's cool' and 'why not, because you don't want me to?' Who else thought that the 'drunk goggles' was just a load of fun on the playground? I did - that's or sure.

    I think parents and others push against these things and it peaks the superior undying curiosity in every child - the moment they can; they'll try it to see 'why not' . . . It's not that they *try it* when they're children / teens; it's that when they're children/teens they're merely victims of their insatiable curiosity and fall prey to their own rebellious nature.

    For those who don't have these issues = they wont' suffer the consequences.

    For my kids I think the death of their cousin and their grandmother at the fault of drug-abuse was iodine on the wound of the 'need to know'
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    Their is two big problem with it's only people own responsibility.

    First what kind of motivation and information are broadcast to the people. My guess is that probably at least 80 % is for unhealthy food. That if people all the time get information to lure them to eat unhealthy and almost no information how to eat healthy. That can have an affect on people choices.

    Also the correctness of the information people get. Take for example Diet Coke. The product is called diet and also market as healthy alternative. But resent studies have shown it can be bad for people having problem with overeating, because diet coke can increase their appetite. So is only people to blame drinking diet coke or is Coca Cola also have a responsibility for having over almost 20 years marketed the product as healthy?
    We MUST have "truth in advertising".
    For a fatty or a diabetic, one coke or "diet" coke per week MAY be safe..
    Far better is 0.0 of this crap...
    A law should prohibit the word "diet" from being so misused..
    And the consumer should know better....easy for me to say....but far too many people have 0.0 education in this area.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Is this true?

    I disagree, because food corporations are notorius for deliberately enticing and addicting its client base. This thread isn't calling for any sort of regulation. It's pointing out that food corporations, the food industry, does have some culpability and responsibility in the obesity/unhealthiness epidemic. They're a part of the problem whether they want to admit it or not imo.
    My bad, I thought this thread was in the Sexuality forum. Carry on.

  4. #54
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You deny it is harmful? You can enjoy your poison, but that doesn't make any less poison. And it is a great product. It taste terrible at first. You get to like it. Then it becomes hard to quit. And it steals your life a little at a time. I don't know why everyone doesn't smoke.
    Living itself steals your life a little at a time.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #55
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The trouble with the market is selling poison is fine. If you're willing to buy it, or too stupid, or if I'm slick enough to sell it, the market say AOK, and it is your fault you're dead.
    Your saying poison but you mean unhealthy? Such as sugars and fats? Or cyanide? There is a difference you know.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Your saying poison but you mean unhealthy? Such as sugars and fats? Or cyanide? There is a difference you know.
    Somethings are actually poison. Smoking, for example, poisons the lungs and harms you even when used by any means one wants to use it. Depending on the amounts, even things that are merely unhealthy can become every bit as dangerous as a recognized poison.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    When I was a child I was told 'don't do drugs, don't drink, don't smoke . . . this is what happens' and thought 'hey - that's cool' and 'why not, because you don't want me to?' Who else thought that the 'drunk goggles' was just a load of fun on the playground? I did - that's or sure.

    I think parents and others push against these things and it peaks the superior undying curiosity in every child - the moment they can; they'll try it to see 'why not' . . . It's not that they *try it* when they're children / teens; it's that when they're children/teens they're merely victims of their insatiable curiosity and fall prey to their own rebellious nature.

    For those who don't have these issues = they wont' suffer the consequences.

    For my kids I think the death of their cousin and their grandmother at the fault of drug-abuse was iodine on the wound of the 'need to know'
    There may be some truth to that, and I don't pretend to know all the answers. But it is true the market doesn't worry all that much about it. And we can get nearly anything we want. Hell, the markets doesn't even care about legality when you get down to it. Someone will sell you anything. And someone will buy anything.

    And I do truely hope you kids learned a lesson, just as I hope mind did from their uncle, but too often we see these things perpetuate themselves in families. And they all too often start young.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #58
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Somethings are actually poison. Smoking, for example, poisons the lungs and harms you even when used by any means one wants to use it. Depending on the amounts, even things that are merely unhealthy can become every bit as dangerous as a recognized poison.
    So am I responsible for myself, in using these substances, knowing they cause health problems? Or is it still the producers fault?

  9. #59
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There may be some truth to that, and I don't pretend to know all the answers. But it is true the market doesn't worry all that much about it. And we can get nearly anything we want. Hell, the markets doesn't even care about legality when you get down to it. Someone will sell you anything. And someone will buy anything.

    And I do truely hope you kids learned a lesson, just as I hope mind did from their uncle, but too often we see these things perpetuate themselves in families. And they all too often start young.
    You talk about the market as if it is a living being. The market is just the mechanism in which we buy that which is in demand.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    You talk about the market as if it is a living being. The market is just the mechanism in which we buy that which is in demand.
    No, I agree it si just a mechanism, but it is one people abuse. And they will abuse it as surely as the sun will come up in the morning. It, the emchanism, has and good and positive aspects, but also comes with a dark side. We shoudl be honest about that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •