View Poll Results: No one besides yourself is responsible for what you put in your mouth?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with this.

    32 65.31%
  • I disagree with this.

    17 34.69%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 175

Thread: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

  1. #21
    User TornadoSiren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    06-29-12 @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    16

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Individually, we, as consumers, are completely responsible for what we put into our mouths. The food manufacturers, however, are responsible for letting us know exactly what their products are. That is the only kind of regulation that should be used to help combat the growing weight problem in America. There needs to be honestly in what is actually in the foods that we buy. Just like in the Whizzo quality assortment

    Milton: It says 'crunchy frog' quite clearly.

    Praline: Well, the superintendent thought it was an almond whirl. People won't expect there to be a frog in there. They're bound to think it's some form of mock frog.

    Milton: (insulted) Mock frog? We use no artificial preservatives or additives of any kind!

    Praline: Nevertheless, I must warn you that in future you should delete the words 'crunchy frog', and replace them with the legend 'crunchy raw unboned real dead frog', if you want to avoid prosecution.

    Milton: What about our sales?

    Praline: I'm not interested in your sales, I have to protect the general public.

    Last edited by TornadoSiren; 06-14-12 at 09:51 PM.
    If you can't bite, don't growl.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Beyond basic safety, it's nobody's job to make you eat healthy. The government ought to make sure the food is edible, meets minimum standards, etc. but that's where their responsibility ends. If people are obese, then they are 100% personally and financially responsible for their actions.

    If they die, so be it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    I could not agree more with you. It's about sales; and if its safe and attracts money: it's at the top of the list: in a fre market . . . In that way, I sort look at it like the drug market: it's popular, people like it, nobody gets hurt (by and large), so what's the problem?

    I would really like to hear from conservatives on my opinion there, becasue, if they agree with the free market concept, then what's wrong with drugs or kids?
    I'm only against the really bad stuff, hence I am in favour of legalizing weed and not in favour of banning or limiting fast food.

    But I am still waiting for an explanation on how you combine pro-choice with food regulation. We do not have the right to decide what women will do with their body, even if that means the death of an unborn child. However, you think we have full right to decide what women eat.

    That does not make sense to me.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoSiren View Post
    Individually, we, as consumers, are completely responsible for what we put into our mouths. The food manufacturers, however, are responsible for letting us know exactly what their products are. That is the only kind of regulation that should be used to help combat the growing weight problem in America. There needs to be honestly in what is actually in the foods that we buy. Just like in the Whizzo quality assortment
    I completely agree with you.

    Every fast food chain should list the number of calories in their food, and if the sodium/fat/etc. levels go over a certain level, then they should be forced to list that too on their menu. There is not enough information for consumers to make healthy choices.

    However, if a person still wants to eat it, then he should have full rights to do so. We are supposed to live in a free society.

  5. #25
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Hey if i wanna OD on mac n cheese, because its so yummy, its my choice! A product is only successful because it is demand, I cant wait to see prohibition of fatty foods, what kind of black market would that produce. Can you imagine people selling snickers on every street corner? Over half of the people in prison would be in for obesity crimes...

  6. #26
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Is this true?

    I disagree, because food corporations are notorius for deliberately enticing and addicting its client base. This thread isn't calling for any sort of regulation. It's pointing out that food corporations, the food industry, does have some culpability and responsibility in the obesity/unhealthiness epidemic. They're a part of the problem whether they want to admit it or not imo.
    I don't follow: Everything is enhanced and addictive?

    I'm not stupid - I know I shouldn't eat my weight in Hot Tamales and drink my worth in Dr Pepper. But I do sometimes anyway.

    Liking the flavor of something - or the appeal of something (ice cold - a warm cup)- can be true for any food or drink - healthy or not. My son loves water with a hint of lemon-juice, my daughter like plain cheerios - my other son loves whole-wheat pasta.

    We all have our own personal preferences; people only *notice* or think something's wrong when they're less-than-healthy preferences.

    No one's looking at strawberies and wonders what was put into them to make them so damn good - because they're healthy.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 06-14-12 at 10:06 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #27
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Is this true?

    I disagree, because food corporations are notorius for deliberately enticing and addicting its client base. This thread isn't calling for any sort of regulation. It's pointing out that food corporations, the food industry, does have some culpability and responsibility in the obesity/unhealthiness epidemic. They're a part of the problem whether they want to admit it or not imo.
    Yes, once you reach the age of independence, you are the one who is ultimately responsible for what you put in your mouth. No one forces you to buy foods from the grocery store, or from restaurants. You can learn to grow and kill your own food, if it is that important to you.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    I am 100% responsible for what I eat. I do eat very healthy thou!

    but on the other hand

    I do smoke and...I am also 100% responsible for that!


    In other words, one is responsible of his own deeds and choices in life, to think otherwise and play the blaming game is no good.

  9. #29
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    I am 100% responsible for what I eat. I do eat very healthy thou!

    but on the other hand

    I do smoke and...I am also 100% responsible for that!


    In other words, one is responsible of his own deeds and choices in life, to think otherwise and play the blaming game is no good.
    Indeed! I was responsible for all my drinking, smoking - and all the snickers . . .as well as the lack of exercise.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #30
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Wake, in other threads you tell me I'm going to hell for what I put in my mouth.
    ...lulz...
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •