View Poll Results: No one besides yourself is responsible for what you put in your mouth?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with this.

    32 65.31%
  • I disagree with this.

    17 34.69%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 175

Thread: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

  1. #121
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I actually thought you would be familiar with the book. It is historical and let to reforms.

    Regulations came about due to a reason. We have food regulations because business did mess up with our food. We have pollution regulations because business did pollute rivers and air. We have history showing that without regulations, business will do things that harm us.
    Lol its not historical, its fiction, written by, most likely, a socialist. Ugh you are still spurting the same nonsense and not countering my arguement... Did you not read what i had just wrote? About property rights being able to counter pollution without a need for regulation? If i owned property on a river, then a bunch of sludge comes down destroying my beautiful property and killing all my little fishies, i would be livid. And within my rights to sue and easily win, because strict property rights would be enforced, this in itself would be a good deterrent against water pollution without the need for regulation. Regulation in my opinion forces people to do the right thing instead of what good morals should be doing. I think thats why we are seeing a degradation of good morals.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Lol its not historical, its fiction, written by, most likely, a socialist. Ugh you are still spurting the same nonsense and not countering my arguement... Did you not read what i had just wrote? About property rights being able to counter pollution without a need for regulation? If i owned property on a river, then a bunch of sludge comes down destroying my beautiful property and killing all my little fishies, i would be livid. And within my rights to sue and easily win, because strict property rights would be enforced, this in itself would be a good deterrent against water pollution without the need for regulation. Regulation in my opinion forces people to do the right thing instead of what good morals should be doing. I think thats why we are seeing a degradation of good morals.
    I think it's ironic that a Libertarian would want regulations let alone the government to intervene on his behalf. So I guess it's okay for Libertarians but not for everyone else, eh?

    As a side, there is a case going on right now in my neck of the woods where developers are trying to buy up property next to a river that people have been fishing for as long as I can remember. If they succeed, this would have the effect of not only making the river inaccessible to sport fishing but will likely pollute the river with fertilizers from yard runoffs and God knows what else destroying the natural flora and fauna that live along the river. And I can almost guarentee that someone like you would be fighting tooth and nail not to pay for the pollution cleanup that came from your property.

    If there is a break down in morality, look no further than the people who claim to have morals and do everything they can to prevent others from having quality of life.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Lol its not historical, its fiction, written by, most likely, a socialist. Ugh you are still spurting the same nonsense and not countering my arguement... Did you not read what i had just wrote? About property rights being able to counter pollution without a need for regulation? If i owned property on a river, then a bunch of sludge comes down destroying my beautiful property and killing all my little fishies, i would be livid. And within my rights to sue and easily win, because strict property rights would be enforced, this in itself would be a good deterrent against water pollution without the need for regulation. Regulation in my opinion forces people to do the right thing instead of what good morals should be doing. I think thats why we are seeing a degradation of good morals.
    The fiction put a light on the companies. Some fiction is root in truth. Historically, this novel led to refrom, regulation. How can you not know this?

    No, I read your response. It doesn't really make sense to me. We had those rights then. And yet, we still had the problems. Home and land owners complained, but nothing changed until there was regulation. This is history.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    As the history of The Jungle seems to be forgotten or not known:

    The President was leery of aligning himself with Sinclair's politics and conclusions in The Jungle, so he sent Labor Commissioner Charles P. Neill and social worker James Bronson Reynolds, men whose honesty and reliability he trusted, to Chicago to make surprise visits to meat packing facilities. Despite betrayal of the secret to the meat packers, who worked three shifts a day for three weeks to clean the factories prior to the inspection, Neill and Reynolds were still revolted by the conditions at the factories and at the lack of concern by plant managers. Their oral report to Roosevelt tentatively supported Sinclair, failing only to substantiate the claim of workers falling into rendering vats and being left to be sold as lard.

    The Jungle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I think it's ironic that a Libertarian would want regulations let alone the government to intervene on his behalf. So I guess it's okay for Libertarians but not for everyone else, eh?

    As a side, there is a case going on right now in my neck of the woods where developers are trying to buy up property next to a river that people have been fishing for as long as I can remember. If they succeed, this would have the effect of not only making the river inaccessible to sport fishing but will likely pollute the river with fertilizers from yard runoffs and God knows what else destroying the natural flora and fauna that live along the river. And I can almost guarentee that someone like you would be fighting tooth and nail not to pay for the pollution cleanup that came from your property.

    If there is a break down in morality, look no further than the people who claim to have morals and do everything they can to prevent others from having quality of life.
    We also see a lot of water pollution here from Factory Farms. Come to any local state legislator meeting and you will find a lot of angry people. But they have not be able to stop it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #126
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I think it's ironic that a Libertarian would want regulations let alone the government to intervene on his behalf. So I guess it's okay for Libertarians but not for everyone else, eh?

    As a side, there is a case going on right now in my neck of the woods where developers are trying to buy up property next to a river that people have been fishing for as long as I can remember. If they succeed, this would have the effect of not only making the river inaccessible to sport fishing but will likely pollute the river with fertilizers from yard runoffs and God knows what else destroying the natural flora and fauna that live along the river. And I can almost guarentee that someone like you would be fighting tooth and nail not to pay for the pollution cleanup that came from your property.

    If there is a break down in morality, look no further than the people who claim to have morals and do everything they can to prevent others from having quality of life.
    How can it not be accessible, its a river? Their buying the whole thing? If it pollutes than it should be the one cleaning the river, dang skippy im not paying for someone elses mistake. Not to mention if the river has creeks ajoined to it that run off to other properties. Just as i state individuals be responsible for their action so should the individuals that are apart of that company.

    Prevents them from having quality life? What is that supposed to mean?

  7. #127
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We also see a lot of water pollution here from Factory Farms. Come to any local state legislator meeting and you will find a lot of angry people. But they have not be able to stop it.
    And why do you think that is? Because government is protecting them instead of doing what i stated they should be doing? Crony capitalism at its greatest, you are starting to make my case for me.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    And why do you think that is? Because government is protecting them instead of doing what i stated they should be doing? Crony capitalism at its greatest, you are starting to make my case for me.
    Protecting? No, not in how you mean it. There is nothing preventing them from doing what they do. Absent a law, or regulation, they can do on their property what the do. That is seeps into the ground water, and pollutes much of the area is not presently covered by law or regulation. I think you mistake want can be done.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #129
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    I disagree, but solely on the basis that the consumer has to be able to inform themselves about what they're eating in order for you to say they're responsible for it. That isn't always possible, currently.

    If that were always possible - and easy - then yes, people would be responsible for what they eat. But they can't be responsible if they can't inform themselves.

    Consumers have the right to know what is in their food and how it was produced. At that point, they can decide for themselves whether or not to eat it.

    The main exception to this, in my mind, is school-provided lunches, especially for children on a lunch program. In that case, the school and the government have assumed responsibility for the nourishment of the child, and they should be expected to provide something reasonably nutritious.

    By the way, Wake: 2/3 of adults are overweight OR obese (actually it's a bit more than that). There's a difference between overweight and obese.

    About 1/3 are obese, and another 35-40% are overweight.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-16-12 at 07:35 PM.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,731

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Seriously? What would happen without the regulation? Every company would be going around throwing arsenic in there food? Wouldnt be making much money for long with all your customers dying.
    Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury
    Arsenic in Apple Juice: A New Report Suggests Widespread Exposure | Healthland | TIME.com
    VOC's in the Nation's Ground Water
    Water pollution: Regulators, scientists question methods used to screen for lead in water - chicagotribune.com

    Something is seriously wrong with anybody who is not concerned by what the above links discuss.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •