View Poll Results: No one besides yourself is responsible for what you put in your mouth?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with this.

    32 65.31%
  • I disagree with this.

    17 34.69%
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 175

Thread: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

  1. #111
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Oh so imposing regulations doesnt cause them to try to cut more corners? A company tried to cut a corner, so regulation is slapped on that whole industry but, it was 1 out of 10 doing it. Then another company has to try to cut a corner because of that regulation, bam they get caught, more regs now ... What are the different effects on that industry now? We have a safer industry right!!! Regulations worked with the bp oil spill right? Oh wait, it wouldnt be a spill then... Regulations make it hard to start small businesses, but even when big companies like BP mess up, its really not a big deal, they have money, lawyers, and political pull. Regulations do nothing but destroy the dream of free market capitalism and replace it with crony capitalism/corporatism.
    Before regulations, we had a lot more problems, so I'm not sure where you're getting this hypothetical. We had this: In 1906, Upton Sinclair's novel "The Jungle" uncovered harrowing conditions inside America's meat packing plants and initiated a period of transformation in the nation's meat industry.

    Meatpacking in America: Still a Jungle Out There? . NOW | PBS

    Of course beyond food we ahd this as well:

    The Cuyahoga River[6] ( /ˌkaɪ.əˈhɒɡə/ KY-ə-HOG-ə, or /ˌkaɪ.əˈhoʊɡə/ KY-ə-HOH-gə)[7][8][9][10] is located in Northeast Ohio in the United States. Outside of Ohio, the river is most famous for being "the river that caught fire", helping to spur the environmental movement in the late 1960s. Native Americans called this winding water "Cuyahoga," which means "crooked river" in the Iroquois language.

    Cuyahoga River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And this:

    The Los Angeles Times reported that a pall of smoke and fumes descended on downtown, cutting visibility to three blocks. Striking in the midst of a heat wave, the "gas attack" was nearly unbearable, gripping workers and residents with an eye-stinging, throat-scraping sensation. It also left them with a realization that something had gone terribly wrong in their city, prized for its sunny climate.

    50th Anniversary of Smog War

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #112
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Before regulations, we had a lot more problems, so I'm not sure where you're getting this hypothetical. We had this: In 1906, Upton Sinclair's novel "The Jungle" uncovered harrowing conditions inside America's meat packing plants and initiated a period of transformation in the nation's meat industry.

    Meatpacking in America: Still a Jungle Out There? . NOW | PBS

    Of course beyond food we ahd this as well:

    The Cuyahoga River[6] ( /ˌkaɪ.əˈhɒɡə/ KY-ə-HOG-ə, or /ˌkaɪ.əˈhoʊɡə/ KY-ə-HOH-gə)[7][8][9][10] is located in Northeast Ohio in the United States. Outside of Ohio, the river is most famous for being "the river that caught fire", helping to spur the environmental movement in the late 1960s. Native Americans called this winding water "Cuyahoga," which means "crooked river" in the Iroquois language.

    Cuyahoga River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And this:

    The Los Angeles Times reported that a pall of smoke and fumes descended on downtown, cutting visibility to three blocks. Striking in the midst of a heat wave, the "gas attack" was nearly unbearable, gripping workers and residents with an eye-stinging, throat-scraping sensation. It also left them with a realization that something had gone terribly wrong in their city, prized for its sunny climate.

    50th Anniversary of Smog War
    And, there is not one iota of doubbt that there are cases of mal and uber regulation....
    We need better reg-writers not a return to the days of no-regulations...those were some horrible times, for those who live outside their ivory towers.

  3. #113
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    And, there is not one iota of doubbt that there are cases of mal and uber regulation....
    We need better reg-writers not a return to the days of no-regulations...those were some horrible times, for those who live outside their ivory towers.
    Or people can take it upon themselves to research the vast abundance of information pertaining to the foods they eat. It's not difficult at all. You people act like the information isn't present.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #114
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Is this true?

    I disagree, because food corporations are notorius for deliberately enticing and addicting its client base. This thread isn't calling for any sort of regulation. It's pointing out that food corporations, the food industry, does have some culpability and responsibility in the obesity/unhealthiness epidemic. They're a part of the problem whether they want to admit it or not imo.
    WTH? You ask us: No one besides yourself is responsible for what you put in your mouth? Then go on about the food industry? Dont you think that the poll is just a tad bit misleading?


    No matter who made the food you still have to feed it to yourself. If you are opposed to certain foods do not make the choice to eat them. That being said there is many reasons to regulate the food industry but none of them have to do with the types of food only the safety of producing them. Which also includes harmful chemicals and ingredients.

  5. #115
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Or people can take it upon themselves to research the vast abundance of information pertaining to the foods they eat. It's not difficult at all. You people act like the information isn't present.
    It's never been more accessible. Hell we can research it on our phones in the aisles of grocery stores nowadays.

    But no. We're all stupid victims, aren't we? Someone take care of us dammit.

  6. #116
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    It is the consumers job to educate themselves and the consumers choice as to what to do with that information. There is, and always has been, folks that want to sell us something that someone else thinks is bad for us. However, it the ones that hide or lie about what is in what they're selling that we need protection from. No amount of education on our part can prepare us for poisons introduced without our knowledge.

    Don't like the hormones they put in factory beef, or how they're raised? Shop local beef from local farms you trust. Don't like E Coli in your lettuce? Shop local from local farmers you trust. Even in the cities there is food source information available.

    Good local example of government interference. We have an Alpenlite Dairy that has been here for well over a hundred years. Up until recently I could go there and buy raw milk and raw cottage cheese (the best!). But the government has decided there's too much possibility of an E Coli outbreak, so they made them stop selling it. I've been buying from this dairy for over 30 years. I know these folks, I also know how careful they are, how clean they are.
    Last edited by clownboy; 06-16-12 at 04:24 PM.

  7. #117
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Before regulations, we had a lot more problems, so I'm not sure where you're getting this hypothetical. We had this: In 1906, Upton Sinclair's novel "The Jungle" uncovered harrowing conditions inside America's meat packing plants and initiated a period of transformation in the nation's meat industry.

    Meatpacking in America: Still a Jungle Out There? . NOW | PBS

    Of course beyond food we ahd this as well:

    The Cuyahoga River[6] ( /ˌkaɪ.əˈhɒɡə/ KY-ə-HOG-ə, or /ˌkaɪ.əˈhoʊɡə/ KY-ə-HOH-gə)[7][8][9][10] is located in Northeast Ohio in the United States. Outside of Ohio, the river is most famous for being "the river that caught fire", helping to spur the environmental movement in the late 1960s. Native Americans called this winding water "Cuyahoga," which means "crooked river" in the Iroquois language.

    Cuyahoga River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And this:

    The Los Angeles Times reported that a pall of smoke and fumes descended on downtown, cutting visibility to three blocks. Striking in the midst of a heat wave, the "gas attack" was nearly unbearable, gripping workers and residents with an eye-stinging, throat-scraping sensation. It also left them with a realization that something had gone terribly wrong in their city, prized for its sunny climate.

    50th Anniversary of Smog War
    Ummm, the first link is pointless, and the other two are valid But, with a capital B, regulation is not needed, because there was a gross violation of property rights.

    You might enjoy this video, it shows how right you are on regulation, whoops I mean wrong.

    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=nBiJB8YuDBQ

  8. #118
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    As to the first link, are you suggesting there were no meat issues? I think that flies in the face of history. As to the others, they bred regulations.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #119
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As to the first link, are you suggesting there were no meat issues? I think that flies in the face of history. As to the others, they bred regulations.
    Were there? You tell me

    I dont think your making any points. Posting a PBS article where it starts off talking about a novel that said how bad things were in 1906 does not make your case for regulations, ummm btw it was 1906 geez what do you expect. Really all it talks about is a century worth of advancement, im sure you accredit all this to regulation lol...

    And as i said before strict property rights should have been enforced by government in both cases of the latter two. Your argument is that they bred regulation? Im not arguing against that im arguing against the regulations.

    You understand right?

  10. #120
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Were there? You tell me

    I dont think your making any points. Posting a PBS article where it starts off talking about a novel that said how bad things were in 1906 does not make your case for regulations, ummm btw it was 1906 geez what do you expect. Really all it talks about is a century worth of advancement, im sure you accredit all this to regulation lol...

    And as i said before strict property rights should have been enforced by government in both cases of the latter two. Your argument is that they bred regulation? Im not arguing against that im arguing against the regulations.

    You understand right?
    I actually thought you would be familiar with the book. It is historical and let to reforms.

    Regulations came about due to a reason. We have food regulations because business did mess up with our food. We have pollution regulations because business did pollute rivers and air. We have history showing that without regulations, business will do things that harm us.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •