View Poll Results: No one besides yourself is responsible for what you put in your mouth?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with this.

    32 65.31%
  • I disagree with this.

    17 34.69%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 175

Thread: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

  1. #101
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Dioxins. Lead. Mercury. Arsenic. VOCs. That is stuff that does NOT belong in my food. Should I be required to bring a chemical test kit with me every time I eat out or go grocery shopping? Hell no. There's a reason we need regulations--it's so that what we put in our bodies won't literally kill us. Oh, and Big Agriculture is fighting those regulations tooth and nail.
    Seriously? What would happen without the regulation? Every company would be going around throwing arsenic in there food? Wouldnt be making much money for long with all your customers dying.

  2. #102
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Once again, removing responsibility from some for their actions. This seems odd for anyone who believes in all being held responsibile for their actions.
    Oh the producer is responsible as well, just not in the way most of the arguments i see being made. Such as having sugar in food... Lol, like I said earlier, if glass winds up in my food you bet your bottom, the producer is responsible. Lying about what is in a product is also a big no no, as i said earlier. But you should still show vigilance when it comes to educating yourself about how much sugar or other unhealthy substances that are clearly labelled on the food but, if it has nothing on there, are you going to buy it or find out what is in the product?

  3. #103
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Seriously? What would happen without the regulation? Every company would be going around throwing arsenic in there food? Wouldnt be making much money for long with all your customers dying.
    History tells us they would cut corners and people would get ill. It has happened and still does on occasion.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBurns View Post
    Oh the producer is responsible as well, just not in the way most of the arguments i see being made. Such as having sugar in food... Lol, like I said earlier, if glass winds up in my food you bet your bottom, the producer is responsible. Lying about what is in a product is also a big no no, as i said earlier. But you should still show vigilance when it comes to educating yourself about how much sugar or other unhealthy substances that are clearly labelled on the food but, if it has nothing on there, are you going to buy it or find out what is in the product?
    I've tried to be fairly specific, and I've never said just putting sugar in the food. However, no matter how specific I am, people keep removing responsibility from the producer, and with no specific exceptions.

    That said, if I was a producer, and I knew huges amounts of sugar were having an adverse effect on children, what should I do? Market to children? They love sugar, as do many adults.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #105
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    I agree standards for food production should be set and inspected regularly. However, there's a thin line when you institute bans into the food production process. Sugar, especially white sugar, is a good example. There are many who would ban it outright, not allowing it in our food at all - that's historical and those folks have some pretty good arguments. But I like white sugar in my coffee, none of the substitutes, including algae sugar, taste near the same. I'm not overweight, I'm not obese. I'm a pretty healthy 61 year old. Do I have to make it myself?

    What it really comes down to are our children. And let's get this out of the way, poverty is not the cause. The cause is wanting convenience and parents' inability to teach their children that easy does not equal good. No amount of government intervention will reverse that.

    When I was little the average candy bar was damn near the size of my head. But my parents wouldn't let me eat the whole thing in one sitting and they were always explaining the whys and wherefores of good nutition to me. Sure, when we were at the store, it would have been easy to buy a soda, and the big long-neck bottles were cheap. But my mom always made me wait until we got home where I could have orange juice or some other drink that was nutritious.

    This current problem is at the feet of the parents, who, with age, chase convenience and instant gratification and teach that to their children. No amount of government nannyism is going to change that.

  6. #106
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Once again, removing responsibility from some for their actions. This seems odd for anyone who believes in all being held responsibile for their actions.
    Removing responsibility from what? It's the consumers responsibility to know what it is that they are consuming. If they don't bother to find out, they still assume all risks involved by consuming the product. The information is available. The ignorance of some is no excuse to waive personal responsibility.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    Removing responsibility from what? It's the consumers responsibility to know what it is that they are consuming. If they don't bother to find out, they still assume all risks involved by consuming the product. The information is available. The ignorance of some is no excuse to waive personal responsibility.
    I'll remeber that when I sell you some poison you didn't knwo was there. I have no responsibility. It's all your fault.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I agree standards for food production should be set and inspected regularly. However, there's a thin line when you institute bans into the food production process. Sugar, especially white sugar, is a good example. There are many who would ban it outright, not allowing it in our food at all - that's historical and those folks have some pretty good arguments. But I like white sugar in my coffee, none of the substitutes, including algae sugar, taste near the same. I'm not overweight, I'm not obese. I'm a pretty healthy 61 year old. Do I have to make it myself?

    What it really comes down to are our children. And let's get this out of the way, poverty is not the cause. The cause is wanting convenience and parents' inability to teach their children that easy does not equal good. No amount of government intervention will reverse that.

    When I was little the average candy bar was damn near the size of my head. But my parents wouldn't let me eat the whole thing in one sitting and they were always explaining the whys and wherefores of good nutition to me. Sure, when we were at the store, it would have been easy to buy a soda, and the big long-neck bottles were cheap. But my mom always made me wait until we got home where I could have orange juice or some other drink that was nutritious.

    This current problem is at the feet of the parents, who, with age, chase convenience and instant gratification and teach that to their children. No amount of government nannyism is going to change that.
    As I understand the thread question, it isn't where is the line (I agree there is a line). The question is where does the responibility always lay. Depending on circumstances, I would argue there is likely some responibility in both directions.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #109
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'll remeber that when I sell you some poison you didn't knwo was there. I have no responsibility. It's all your fault.
    That would be murder, not the regulated sale and trade of goods.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  10. #110
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    History tells us they would cut corners and people would get ill. It has happened and still does on occasion.
    Oh so imposing regulations doesnt cause them to try to cut more corners? A company tried to cut a corner, so regulation is slapped on that whole industry but, it was 1 out of 10 doing it. Then another company has to try to cut a corner because of that regulation, bam they get caught, more regs now ... What are the different effects on that industry now? We have a safer industry right!!! Regulations worked with the bp oil spill right? Oh wait, it wouldnt be a spill then... Regulations make it hard to start small businesses, but even when big companies like BP mess up, its really not a big deal, they have money, lawyers, and political pull. Regulations do nothing but destroy the dream of free market capitalism and replace it with crony capitalism/corporatism.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •