View Poll Results: No one besides yourself is responsible for what you put in your mouth?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with this.

    32 65.31%
  • I disagree with this.

    17 34.69%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 175

Thread: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

  1. #91
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    13,076

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Dioxins. Lead. Mercury. Arsenic. VOCs. That is stuff that does NOT belong in my food. Should I be required to bring a chemical test kit with me every time I eat out or go grocery shopping? Hell no. There's a reason we need regulations--it's so that what we put in our bodies won't literally kill us. Oh, and Big Agriculture is fighting those regulations tooth and nail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I probably know more than everyone in this forum debating the topic.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton

  2. #92
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    That is not the reason why I posted that. People should conduct there due diligence prior to buying to food. Some foods are outdated. some are packaged according to a foreign country's standards that would fall short in the US.
    Sorry I misread you, but both are true. ANd a bit much to expect of everyone.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    If you don't trust the idea of maybe not knowing the process that went into making something then just don't eat it
    I'd have to grow my own. No, the point is we do not know. There is deception. And when we see deregulation, we see the consequences pop up now and again. The point is one of responsibility. I see personal responsibility. But I also see corporate responsibility. I do not understand why you or anyone wants to excuse them of responsibility for their actions.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #94
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    01-14-18 @ 02:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,475

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'd have to grow my own. No, the point is we do not know. There is deception. And when we see deregulation, we see the consequences pop up now and again. The point is one of responsibility. I see personal responsibility. But I also see corporate responsibility. I do not understand why you or anyone wants to excuse them of responsibility for their actions.
    It's profit over safety...safety of the food and safety of the workers who process the food....

    Meatpacking pace under fire

    Ugh, imagine someone's blood getting on the meat that ends up on your dinner table and all because Tyson won't slow down the processing line as recommended by US regulators. With congress under funding the FDA and other regulatory agencies this kind of thing is going on daily. We have no idea what we're eating. We don't know whether the corn we're eating is the same corn that was genetically modified to make pigs fatter or if it's even safe to eat...but we do know that 80% of the corn we eat is now GM.....

    Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals

    Of course, people getting sick from food creates jobs in the medical industry, so it's all good. But then who is regulating the medical industry now that their under funded too. Oh well, it's creating jobs in the mortuary industry, so its all good.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    A person cannot abdicate their responsibility for their own action or inaction regarding their choices then blame others if they become obese or suffer ill health.
    I agree the consumer shares some responsibility, but responsibility I think should also be placed on the food corporations.

    When corporations deliberately add chemicals to their foods like MSG, knowing it'll addict people, they do share some responsibility. Even if it's only 5% responsibility they still must have it. I feel people need to educate themselves on just how exactly the food industry manipulates people. They need to know exactly what they're eating, how the industry creates and markets the food, etc.

    There are also many additives besides MSG that are bad for you. Caffiene, Aspartame, Artificial colorings, preservatives, etc. Also, High Fructose Corn Syrup. Most food corporations use this, and this ingredient actually damages the brain, making people dumber. I want to help educate people on the bad checials/additives people are eating, the obesity epidemic, on how exactly food corporations play a role. It's unfair and wrong to look at the whole problem and say that it's only the fault of the consumer, because they made the choice to eat the numerous deathly offered. Why do you think we're in the mess we're in now? We didn't have an obesity epidemic before the refining of flour.

    And no, just because there are currently only 12 enlightened members voting that there's more to the issue than just the consumer's choice, does not mean they were on the "short bus." I daresay the majority are ignorant and uncaring about the issue and what exactly is at play here.

    Food corporations don't give a damn about food safety over the long run. All they care about is the allmighty dollar, health be damned. They only care to reach minimum safety requirements.
    Last edited by Wake; 06-16-12 at 01:36 PM.

  6. #96
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    How much choice do you have when processed food is more affordable, but loaded with hidden sugar? They took out the fat, but replaced it with sugar to add taste.
    So it doesnt tell you there is sugar in it? And if its so well hidden how do you know? They probably know that no one will buy the food if they dont add something unhealthy to make TASTE GOOD. Why dont you start a business and be the first person, well probably not the first, to make cheap yet healthy food? Now I disagree with lying about what is inside, thats a no no. Now on the other hand, if it says nothing on the product, I probably wouldnt buy it, it would be my responsibility then to find out what is in that product.
    Last edited by LibertyBurns; 06-16-12 at 02:21 PM.

  7. #97
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    How much choice do you have when processed food is more affordable, but loaded with hidden sugar?
    The responsibility is still entirely up to the consumer. If they don't even bother to find out what's in the food they're eating, they're responsible for their own ignorance.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #98
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-28-12 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    203

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    It's profit over safety...safety of the food and safety of the workers who process the food....

    Meatpacking pace under fire

    Ugh, imagine someone's blood getting on the meat that ends up on your dinner table and all because Tyson won't slow down the processing line as recommended by US regulators. With congress under funding the FDA and other regulatory agencies this kind of thing is going on daily. We have no idea what we're eating. We don't know whether the corn we're eating is the same corn that was genetically modified to make pigs fatter or if it's even safe to eat...but we do know that 80% of the corn we eat is now GM.....

    Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals


    Of course, people getting sick from food creates jobs in the medical industry, so it's all good. But then who is regulating the medical industry now that their under funded too. Oh well, it's creating jobs in the mortuary industry, so its all good.
    Do you understand what life was like before all these horrible corporations came about? Do any of you study what life was like before capitalism? Before industry? All the people starving in the world and you people attack products being thrown out as fast as possible. It just is mind boggling... I'm hearing about all this bad bad food, yet i look around and only see a few cases. Now more than ever i see people exercising and watching what they eat. Why cant all people strive to be like this, a responsible adult. Then the corporations/business cant sell the product and have to change to meet the consumers demand.

  9. #99
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkySalsa View Post
    The human body and brain were adapted to help monkey-men hunt and gather food in the plains of Africa. Our appreciation for sweet and salty foods were necessary back then, but not so much now that we've invented agribusinesses. Resisting our natural gravitation towards sweets and salts takes up mental energy, since you have to mentally push yourself to eat leafy greens instead of cheeseburgers. This is obviously much harder when society paves the road to cheeseburgers and soda into a four lane highway and leaves the road to leafy greens a small dirt path.
    Yeah the modern market of food has only been here for the past century or two so you do not have to go quite back that far and we probably have a more healthier diet than back then anyway.



    People are going to bitch, but if the government is eventually going to have to foot part of the bill for their medical expenses, they've definitely got an interest in moderating excesses. "A pinch of prevention is worth a pound of cure," or however that adage goes. I say the government should use a light touch, but accept that people profiting from the status quo are going to get pissed off no matter what. We should definitely tweak farm subsidies so that taxpayers aren't subsidizing crap like high fructose corn oil. Public education campaigns are a no brainer. I also wonder about giving tax breaks to people that get a clean bill of health from their doctors.



    Fundamental Attribution Error.
    Well, well at least it took to post #40 before that argument was given in bold. From my point of view it is a argument AGAINST having the government fund the health care system in that way. And with respect with the adage it is more like a ton of prevention to prohibit a pound of cure.

    With respect to farm subsidies we should not have them and yes we should not have the government make the matters worse or sustain the unhealthy options. I do not trust the government to avoid being influenced by "special interest" so any pro-healthy food propaganda would need to be done by private campaigns. The last statement is probably open to massive fraud and for those who are unhealthy due to other reasons would not get the healthy food tax credit.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  10. #100
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: No One is responsible for what you put in Your Mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokiate View Post
    The responsibility is still entirely up to the consumer. If they don't even bother to find out what's in the food they're eating, they're responsible for their own ignorance.
    Once again, removing responsibility from some for their actions. This seems odd for anyone who believes in all being held responsibile for their actions.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •