View Poll Results: Who Was the Best US President?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abraham Lincoln

    15 14.15%
  • Franklin Roosevelt

    26 24.53%
  • George Washington

    10 9.43%
  • Thomas Jefferson

    9 8.49%
  • Theodore Roosevelt

    6 5.66%
  • Woodrow Wilson

    1 0.94%
  • Andrew Jackson

    2 1.89%
  • Harry Truman

    0 0%
  • Lyndon Johnson

    2 1.89%
  • Other (please list below)

    35 33.02%
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 328

Thread: Best US President

  1. #181
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by NotEliTanenbaum View Post
    Who do you think was the best US President?
    I'd say Theodore Roosevelt. It's kind of a shame that you left out William Henry Harrison, though. While nowhere near the best, he certainly had one of the oddest presidencies.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #182
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,132

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by proud2Bcatholic View Post
    Ronald Reagan
    I am really surprised it took 88 posts for someone to come up with this.

  3. #183
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    1) the commerce clause would not be used to regulate firearms, ban weed etc. Claiming that stuff that once moved in interstate commerce can be regulated by the federal government long after it has been shipped is an abomination to the tenth amendment.
    Thank you for answering.

    I see your point here. I have a hard time myself with the idea that an all encompassing hand reaches into that which would be within the state's jurisdiction and preview; if the guidelines were adhered to.

    2) Wickard v. Filburn struck down. Saying the government could prevent someone from growing wheat for his own use is another abomination. No wickard-no Obamacare.

    we don't need federal gun control or a federal ban on weed. we don't need Obamacare.
    This again is problematic because it forces economic issues to be decided by the courts and compels the individual to spend their own money on that which they can supply for themselves.

    Now you do raise a good point. Americans have become addicted to much of the crap passed by the FDR administration (social security for example) and getting rid of much of the nonsense would cause problems. But that is no reason to claim the actions were legitimate to begin with
    It is more than Americans it is the economy as those who are recipients of these funds stimulate the economy through spending. The legality of which has long since been forgotten and more or less swept under the rug.

  4. #184
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Best US President

    Bork terrified the left because he said if precedent was based on bad constitutional reasoning or faulty logic it should be overturned. Most of the latter New Deal decisions were both

  5. #185
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the least educated people are also more likely to vote dem. I guess the lesson is that those who want to rule people and those who want to be ruled want big government
    the former because they think they will run it, the latter because they think it will take care of them
    The whole small government = Republican, big government = Democrat meme is just a right wing bumper sticker. It isn't real. Obviously. The Republican party wants a much bigger military. They want a government that is much more involved in people's personal lives- deciding who people can marry and which pregnancies should be carried to term and whatnot. The difference isn't big vs. small it is that Democrats want a government that is bigger on the economic side, smaller on the social and military sides. Republicans want a government that is bigger on the military and social sides and smaller on the economic side. You already knew that though.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #186
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I like liberty more then democracy.
    Right.. so that liberty down in Florida where the governor is trying to exclude people before they even have a chance to vote.... Is that the type of liberty you are all for.. or how about you explain to me exactly what type you are for?

    Do you even know wtf liberty means? I sometimes wonder with conservatives.. I think they assume that liberty means it only applies to them...

    Via Wikipedia:

    Liberty refers to the ability of human beings to have agency (control over their own actions). There are different conceptions of liberty, which articulate the relationship of individuals to society in different ways, including some which relate to life under a "social contract" or to existence in a "state of nature", and some which see the active exercise of freedom and rights as essential to liberty. Understanding liberty involves how we imagine the roles and responsibilities of the individual in society in relationship to conceptions of free will and determinism, which involves the larger domain of metaphysics.
    Individualist and classical liberal conceptions of liberty typically consist of the freedom of individuals from outside compulsion or coercion, also known as negative liberty. This conception of liberty, which coincides with the Libertarian point-of-view, suggests that people should, must, and ought to behave according to their own free will, and take responsibility for their actions, while in contrast, Social liberal conceptions of (positive liberty) liberty place an emphasis upon social structure and agency and is therefore directed toward ensuring egalitarianism.
    In feudal societies, a "liberty" was an area of allodial land in which the rights of the ruler, or monarch, had been waived.
    Last edited by OnWisconsin; 06-14-12 at 03:28 AM.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  7. #187
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    it was bad because it violated the constitution as it was intended. I understand socialists oppose the constitution being correctly interpreted because such an interpretation would stem the stench of socialism
    Yes or course we think that the Constitution is just a pos piece of paper... Why do you think that TD?


  8. #188
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    How did he make it worse? Specifics please...
    I snipped all your idiocy because frankly, arguing the merits of FDR, or economics in general with an admitted socialist is futile.

    he is to blame for our 15 trillion dollar debt because it was his actions that made future constitutional amendments unnecessary. his expansion of the commerce clause made it so the feds will never again be limited by what they wish to do. Thanks to him, the federal government put out their open for business sign and the lobbyists have been lining up ever since.

  9. #189
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    Liberty refers to the ability of human beings to have agency (control over their own actions).
    voting certainly doesn't give me control over my actions. you annoying progressives continue to use your vote to control more and more of my actions in the economic sphere while the annoying social conservatvies use their vote to control more of my actions in the social sphere.

    so as I first stated, I cherish liberty over democracy. Democracy can rightly be described as two wolves and a sheep deciding on dinner.

  10. #190
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The whole small government = Republican, big government = Democrat meme is just a right wing bumper sticker. It isn't real. Obviously. The Republican party wants a much bigger military. They want a government that is much more involved in people's personal lives- deciding who people can marry and which pregnancies should be carried to term and whatnot. The difference isn't big vs. small it is that Democrats want a government that is bigger on the economic side, smaller on the social and military sides. Republicans want a government that is bigger on the military and social sides and smaller on the economic side. You already knew that though.
    most of that involves state vs federal powers. military is an obvious federal power. income redistribution and other attempts to gain power by creating "fairness" is not
    gay marriage is not a federal matter, nor is abortion

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •