View Poll Results: Who Was the Best US President?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abraham Lincoln

    15 14.15%
  • Franklin Roosevelt

    26 24.53%
  • George Washington

    10 9.43%
  • Thomas Jefferson

    9 8.49%
  • Theodore Roosevelt

    6 5.66%
  • Woodrow Wilson

    1 0.94%
  • Andrew Jackson

    2 1.89%
  • Harry Truman

    0 0%
  • Lyndon Johnson

    2 1.89%
  • Other (please list below)

    35 33.02%
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 328

Thread: Best US President

  1. #171
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The massive failure in Yalta-look it up-its in most objective history books. FDR was senile and Stalin took advantage of that.
    You do realize Stalin promised democratic elections in all of the Eastern Bloc right?


    The new deal blew away the boundaries on the federal government
    Uhh not really. Everything was constitutional.

    -wonder why we have a huge deficit today?
    Yea its FDRS fault...






    The out of control spending started with Reagan bud....


  2. #172
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    W was a better president than Oblamer
    That's a fair opinion. I'm just going with ARC's assessment that O wasn't the worst this Century, which by default would make him the best.

    Persoanlly, I think between those two it's a tossup for who was worse. Which is like choosing between cat poopand dog poop for which is smellier.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #173
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Best US President

    FDR's crap was ruled constitutional because he threatened to pack the court

    its like saying you willfully gave the Mob Protection money-because you didn't want your knees broken

  4. #174
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    FDR's crap was ruled constitutional because he threatened to pack the court
    Yea but history shows us that it never fell threw and was struck down..
    So that is a excuse that does not apply here..


    its like saying you willfully gave the Mob Protection money-because you didn't want your knees broken
    Sure...

    Just like its FDR's fault at Yalta..

    Anything else?


  5. #175
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yea but history shows us that it never fell threw and was struck down..
    So that is a excuse that does not apply here..



    Sure...

    Just like its FDR's fault at Yalta..

    Anything else?
    actually FDR's New Deal nonsense was struck down in the first major ruling on it in Schechter Poultry. FDR got a huge victory in 1936 and buoyed by that he threatened to pack the court figuring with his popularity he could get awe with it.

    No excuse-facts- I don't think you want to argue constitutional law and history with me

    and read up on Yalta-many analysts conclude FDR was too senile to figure out what Stalin was up to

  6. #176
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yea but history shows us that it never fell threw and was struck down..
    So that is a excuse that does not apply here..



    Sure...

    Just like its FDR's fault at Yalta..

    Anything else?
    This sentiment was exacerbated by the Great Depression. In 1935-36, the Court struck down eight of FDR's New Deal programs, including the National Recovery Act (NRA) and the Agricultural Adjustment Act (AAA). Public antijudicial sentiment intensified; many critics questioned the constitutionality of the concept of judicial review itself. As a result of this reaction, several constitutional amendments were introduced into Congress in 1936, including one that would require a two-thirds vote of the Court whenever an act of Congress was declared unconstitutional; another that would permit Congress to revalidate federal laws previously declared unconstitutional by repassing them with a two-thirds vote of both houses, and even one that would abolish altogether the Court's power to declare federal laws unconstitutional.
    Constitutional Issues - Separation of Powers

  7. #177
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    actually FDR's New Deal nonsense was struck down in the first major ruling on it in
    cool one part of the new deal..

    FDR got a huge victory in 1936 and buoyed by that he threatened to pack the court figuring with his popularity he could get awe with it.
    Yea he tried and the bill was struck down..........
    So.. Whats your point here?
    It got struck down so he could do noting...


    No excuse-facts- I don't think you want to argue constitutional law and history with me
    Ohh ahh im scared...
    But still how does this make FDR's policies a failure or bad?


    and read up on Yalta-many analysts conclude FDR was too senile to figure out what Stalin was up to
    I have...


  8. #178
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    cool one part of the new deal..


    Yea he tried and the bill was struck down..........
    So.. Whats your point here?
    It got struck down so he could do noting...



    Ohh ahh im scared...
    But still how does this make FDR's policies a failure or bad?



    I have...
    it was bad because it violated the constitution as it was intended. I understand socialists oppose the constitution being correctly interpreted because such an interpretation would stem the stench of socialism

  9. #179
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    it was bad because it violated the constitution as it was intended. I understand socialists oppose the constitution being correctly interpreted because such an interpretation would stem the stench of socialism
    I am not a socialist. What would you like undone or redone here. How would you fix this situation where it would work in today's economy and work for the current needs of society regrading the evils that FDR wrought.

  10. #180
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Best US President

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    I am not a socialist. What would you like undone or redone here. How would you fix this situation where it would work in today's economy and work for the current needs of society regrading the evils that FDR wrought.

    1) the commerce clause would not be used to regulate firearms, ban weed etc. Claiming that stuff that once moved in interstate commerce can be regulated by the federal government long after it has been shipped is an abomination to the tenth amendment.

    2) Wickard v. Filburn struck down. Saying the government could prevent someone from growing wheat for his own use is another abomination. No wickard-no Obamacare.

    we don't need federal gun control or a federal ban on weed. we don't need Obamacare.

    Now you do raise a good point. Americans have become addicted to much of the crap passed by the FDR administration (social security for example) and getting rid of much of the nonsense would cause problems. But that is no reason to claim the actions were legitimate to begin with

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •