View Poll Results: Last two years beginning of a downward slide for Public Sector Unions?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, their power has waxed and now it shall wane.

    44 60.27%
  • Unions will respond and their power will grow.

    14 19.18%
  • It depends on November.

    15 20.55%
Page 8 of 124 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 1237

Thread: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Many lefties (or lefties pretending to be "centrists") have a very dim understanding of what a RIGHT is

    a right is the ability to do something and not be persecuted by the government. A right is NOT an affirmative duty on someone else to act. You have a right to worship Ba'al, Buddha, Jesus, Lucifer or Eric Clapton but I don't have the duty to build you a temple. You have a right to keep and bear arms but I should't be taxed to supply you won

    and you have a right to join a union but your employer should not have duty to give you a job if you do so
    my employer has 90 days from the time they hire someone to determine if they will be a good employee...after 90 days, the new employee enjoys the full protection of the grievance procedure agreed to by both the company and the union, and needs a valid reason to fire them...them being a union member is not a valid reason....contrary to the belief of many 'righties' here, union members can and are fired , all that is required is that the grievance procedure be followed, and the company make its case...one of the biggies that got people terminated in my shop when i was shop chairperson was attendance...sometimes , if the terminated employee wished it, i would file a grievance on their behalf, but would explain to them, that unless they could provide extensive documentation of extenuating circumstances, they were pretty much screwed, as i could not justify pushing their case beyond our grievance procedure to arbitration....i believe that your employer has a right to expect good attendance, and quality work. if your taking nights of work to go out and go party, it is kinda hard to make a good argument on your behalf.

  2. #72
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    my employer has 90 days from the time they hire someone to determine if they will be a good employee...after 90 days, the new employee enjoys the full protection of the grievance procedure agreed to by both the company and the union, and needs a valid reason to fire them...them being a union member is not a valid reason....contrary to the belief of many 'righties' here, union members can and are fired , all that is required is that the grievance procedure be followed, and the company make its case...one of the biggies that got people terminated in my shop when i was shop chairperson was attendance...sometimes , if the terminated employee wished it, i would file a grievance on their behalf, but would explain to them, that unless they could provide extensive documentation of extenuating circumstances, they were pretty much screwed, as i could not justify pushing their case beyond our grievance procedure to arbitration....i believe that your employer has a right to expect good attendance, and quality work. if your taking nights of work to go out and go party, it is kinda hard to make a good argument on your behalf.
    why should I, as the owner of a business, have to employ you if you join a union

    and why should I, as a tax payer, have to pay more taxes because of public sector unions who often "bargain" with the very people they put into office?

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Lately we have seen Republican and Democrat (though, oddly, only Republicans make news with it) Governors work to save their states from fiscal ruin by curtailing the Public Unions, either in finances or in power. Have the last two years marked the beginning of the end for the Public Sector Union, and will they go the way of the Private Sector Union?
    The unions fought so hard on this precisely because they knew if Walker succedded it was the beginning of the end for them. Their failed recall just hastened it.

  4. #74
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The unions fought so hard on this precisely because they knew if Walker succedded it was the beginning of the end for them. Their failed recall just hastened it.
    there is an old saying

    If you intend to shoot the king you best not miss

    the unions shot and missed.

    paybacks are a bitch. Let the heads roll

  5. #75
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I don't understand your point. If public sector unions did not get involved in politics, then the government would just be able to treat it's employees however it wants to which means that public sector employees are just supposed to take what they're given and shut up. That can't be what you're advocating.
    As a public employee, I am absolutely saying that public sector employees should stay out of politics as public sector employees. They are free to speak, vote, and what-have-you; but they shouldn't be unionized, and they should not be allowed to use their employment as a political weapon.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why should I, as the owner of a business, have to employ you if you join a union

    and why should I, as a tax payer, have to pay more taxes because of public sector unions who often "bargain" with the very people they put into office?
    AGAIN....if your shop is a union shop, you have 90 days to make a decision to keep me or not....and are you claiming that these unions don't have to negotiate with officials whom you helped to elect? that they dont have to negotiate with elected officials who are hostile to them? really?

  7. #77
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The unions fought so hard on this precisely because they knew if Walker succedded it was the beginning of the end for them. Their failed recall just hastened it.
    I think that is very correct. Allowing public employees to escape the unions is their death knell. When public employees were allowed to opt out of unions in Indiana, 91% of them did so. It would seem that public sector unions are less about representing workers and more about representing the leadership these days.
    Last edited by cpwill; 06-08-12 at 11:12 PM.

  8. #78
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    AGAIN....if your shop is a union shop, you have 90 days to make a decision to keep me or not....and are you claiming that these unions don't have to negotiate with officials whom you helped to elect? that they dont have to negotiate with elected officials who are hostile to them? really?
    what evasive psychobabble. If I own a business I CAN Make it a union shop. But Why should I not be allowed to fire anyone who wants to unionize it

  9. #79
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I think that is very correct. Allowing public employees to escape the unions is their death knell.
    AFSCME-one of the most worthless POS unions there is, went from 65K members in Wisconsin to 28K in the Walker years. Good riddance.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    As a public employee, I am absolutely saying that public sector employees should stay out of politics as public sector employees. They are free to speak, vote, and what-have-you; but they shouldn't be unionized, and they should not be allowed to use their employment as a political weapon.
    I think that's a ridiculous notion and a dangerous one for many workers and for the public. If you tell public sector employees to not unionize and in turn, take whatever their employer gives them, you're setting many of them up for being treated unfairly and you're setting the public up for attracting lower quality workers and enabling the government to provide lower quality services.

Page 8 of 124 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •