View Poll Results: Last two years beginning of a downward slide for Public Sector Unions?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, their power has waxed and now it shall wane.

    44 60.27%
  • Unions will respond and their power will grow.

    14 19.18%
  • It depends on November.

    15 20.55%
Page 19 of 124 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 1237

Thread: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

  1. #181
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    shhh no one pays attention to your whining we know its all contrived bs....the top 1% have all the money they stole it off the 99% and we WILL get more off you...and I will remind you gleefully when it happens my friend

    and there it is in all it's splendor... the contemporary liberal agenda.


    nobody stole your money dude...that's delusional in the extreme.

    If you need money, come see me... if the situation is to my liking, i'll give you money or loan it to you...
    no need to turn into a common thief , using the government as your gun, in order to get money....
    you're a cop, you should know better than to turn to a life of crime.

  2. #182
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    and there it is in all it's splendor... the contemporary liberal agenda.


    nobody stole your money dude...that's delusional in the extreme.

    If you need money, come see me... if the situation is to my liking, i'll give you money or loan it to you...
    no need to turn into a common thief , using the government as your gun, in order to get money....
    you're a cop, you should know better than to turn to a life of crime.
    there are two types of the parasite advocates

    1) you get the "IF YOU ALL DON'T GIVE US MORE MONEY we will kill you or take it from you by force

    2) and the slightly less toxic

    WE WILL USE THE GOVERNMENT TO TAKE YOUR WEALTH

    same mindset. the latter tend to be more cowardly though

  3. #183
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are smarter than me despite your dependency on government
    What are you talking about? I'm not dependent on the government, but obviously that is no test of intelligence... Paris Hilton isn't dependent on the government. Tons of college kids on financial aid on the other hand, are incredibly smart.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    2) also pathetic is pretending that regressive taxes matter when discussing progressive taxes or that state taxes matter when discussing federal taxes
    It is so infuriating to me that you still pretend you don't understand. You think you can prove that the tax system is progressive just by looking only at the elements of it that are progressive. That is like saying that Americans all men and using as your evidence a sample of 10 people that you picked because they are all men. There is no way, no way at all, that you honestly don't understand how moronic that is. It just isn't possible. I mean, sure, maybe you had a mental lapse the first time you said it and didn't spot the obvious error... But the 1,000th time you've been called out on it?1
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  4. #184
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What are you talking about? I'm not dependent on the government, but obviously that is no test of intelligence... Paris Hilton isn't dependent on the government. Tons of college kids on financial aid on the other hand, are incredibly smart.



    It is so infuriating to me that you still pretend you don't understand. You think you can prove that the tax system is progressive just by looking only at the elements of it that are progressive. That is like saying that Americans all men and using as your evidence a sample of 10 people that you picked because they are all men. There is no way, no way at all, that you honestly don't understand how moronic that is. It just isn't possible. I mean, sure, maybe you had a mental lapse the first time you said it and didn't spot the obvious error... But the 1,000th time you've been called out on it?1
    4 minutes and that is the best you can come up with? more spewage and no sound argument?

    I am merely talking about progressive taxes when talking about progressive taxes. The tax system has progressive rates, and flat rates and fixed fees. I don't mix them unlike you lefties who whine that the poor's overall tax rate is X compared to the rich. On progressive taxes, the rich pay a much higher rate on like income than the middle class and the poor.

    Until you can refute what I said rather than constantly saying you did it without ever referencing where, I can only conclude you feel a need to respond but don't have the ability to actually post anything of merit. The rich pay far more of the federal income tax than any other group. the top 5% pay more than the rest of the country. We get the fact that you think others should pay more so you can have more government.

    that is hardly a factually tsunami
    Last edited by TurtleDude; 06-10-12 at 12:30 AM.

  5. #185
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am merely talking about progressive taxes when talking about progressive taxes. The tax system has progressive rates, and flat rates and fixed fees. I don't mix them unlike you lefties who whine that the poor's overall tax rate is X compared to the rich. On progressive taxes, the rich pay a much higher rate on like income than the middle class and the poor
    So you are just pointing out that "progressive taxes are progressive"... That's a useful piece of analysis in your opinion? You understand that would be true in any tax system whatsoever, right? If we had 1% of the taxes being progressive and 99% of them being regressive, you could still sit around and whine about how the system is too progressive so long as you're willing to ignore the taxes that aren't... It's just stupid man. Think about it for one second. Just one second. That's all I ask.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-12 @ 01:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    232

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    So you are just pointing out that "progressive taxes are progressive"... That's a useful piece of analysis in your opinion? You understand that would be true in any tax system whatsoever, right? If we had 1% of the taxes being progressive and 99% of them being regressive, you could still sit around and whine about how the system is too progressive so long as you're willing to ignore the taxes that aren't... It's just stupid man. Think about it for one second. Just one second. That's all I ask.
    The problem with taxing the rich is that even if you took all of their wealth, 100% of it, it would still not pay for the expenditures of our government and would destroy our economy. Our current progressive tax system allows half of all Americans to pay no income tax or receive a refund on taxes they did not pay. I am in favor of a progressive tax structure, but it seems you are attempting to make a point that isn't true. I say attempting because I've read your past couple posts waiting for an actual point to be made, but it never happened. It's just banter.

  7. #187
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Lately we have seen Republican and Democrat (though, oddly, only Republicans make news with it) Governors work to save their states from fiscal ruin by curtailing the Public Unions, either in finances or in power. Have the last two years marked the beginning of the end for the Public Sector Union, and will they go the way of the Private Sector Union?

    All unions, one of the obstacles to a fascist state will soon be gone. Yippie!!!
    Last edited by Catawba; 06-10-12 at 12:51 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #188
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Unions are a good way for employees to discuss issues with employers. I still think it's important to have employee organization to voice these concerns (A Union or smaller group).
    Anytime I have had an issue to discuss with employers, all I did was go in and discuss those with them. I have found them open to talking with me, believe it or not! In my way of thinking, Unions are simply mafia-like thugs who bring threats to the table.

  9. #189
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
    The problem with taxing the rich is that even if you took all of their wealth, 100% of it, it would still not pay for the expenditures of our government
    No, that is not even remotely close to true. The top 1% have enough wealth to cover the entire deficit forever. The top 1% own 35% of all the wealth of the country. The total wealth of the US is around $70 trillion. So, 35% of $70 trillion would be $24.5 trillion. If you assume a 5% rate of return each year, that would be enough to cover the entire deficit every year forever without dipping into the principle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
    Our current progressive tax system allows half of all Americans to pay no income tax or receive a refund on taxes they did not pay. I am in favor of a progressive tax structure, but it seems you are attempting to make a point that isn't true. I say attempting because I've read your past couple posts waiting for an actual point to be made, but it never happened. It's just banter.
    When you look at all taxes, our system is fairly mildly progressive up most of the way (people in poverty pay 16%, somebody who is very well off, but still has to work, pays 31%. But then it drops way off for the rich. Somebody who makes many millions a year from investments only pays 15% or so.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  10. #190
    Educator Flippinfunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA (Raised in SW Oklahoma)
    Last Seen
    08-01-12 @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    883

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Lately we have seen Republican and Democrat (though, oddly, only Republicans make news with it) Governors work to save their states from fiscal ruin by curtailing the Public Unions, either in finances or in power. Have the last two years marked the beginning of the end for the Public Sector Union, and will they go the way of the Private Sector Union?
    "He wants another stimulus, he wants to hire more government workers...He says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people."
    Mitt Romney, June 8th, 2012


    Beginning of the End for Public Unions?-union-thugs-jpg
    Silly poor people
    Tax cuts are for the rich!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •