View Poll Results: Last two years beginning of a downward slide for Public Sector Unions?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, their power has waxed and now it shall wane.

    44 60.27%
  • Unions will respond and their power will grow.

    14 19.18%
  • It depends on November.

    15 20.55%
Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 1237

Thread: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    complete crap-the government is required to treat all similarly situated employees equally.
    It's not surprising that this has nothing to do with anything I said.

  2. #102
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,553

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It's not surprising that this has nothing to do with anything I said.

    you can only make that point if you did not understand your earlier post but that is well within the realm of possibilities

  3. #103
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    So, by that same argument, you also oppose minimum wage laws, yes?
    Not really. Having a floor for ANY hour's worth of work is not a bad law, nor is requiring time and one half for over 40 hours of work in a week. The FLSA simply applies minimum standards that give no employer the unfair advantage of basically using slaves. It is not nearly as rediculous as the Davis-Bacon act, that attempts to dictate "fair" labor rates by county, that often far exceed reality, the minimum wage or the REAL prevailing wage rates.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-09-12 at 12:39 AM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #104
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,672

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    still waiting for someone to tell me what legitimate need is filled by public sector unions
    It's their right to collective bargaining. They have that needand JFK answered that need: it is a protected right. NOw, my understanding of thier benefits comes as a result of the scads of money that the federal and state governments have coming into thier coffers to support the boondoggels that they create.

    Public employees are at the bottom of the pile, and as is usual in these cases, the bottom is the first place the top goes to protect itself. That's why we have unions in the first place, and public employees are no exception to that.

    Here is just one example of articles that have appeared all over the country that counter the argument that public unions are costing tax payers more money than is necessary ABQJOURNAL OPINION/GUEST_COLUMNS: Public Unions Are Not the Problem These articles and counter opinions don't get as much press because they don't fit it in with the rhetoric of the campaigning right-wing. I fault the Democrats for not making more of an issue of these qualified writers, however the case is a very good one.
    Last edited by jet57; 06-09-12 at 12:41 AM.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  5. #105
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,553

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    It's their right to collective bargaining. They have that needand JFK answered that need: it is a protected right. NOw, my understanding of thier benefits comes as a result of the scads of money that the federal and state governments have coming into thier coffers to support the boondoggels that they create.

    Public employees are at the bottom of the pile, and as is usual in these cases, the bottom is the first place the top goes to protect itself. That's why we have unions in the first place, and public employees are no exception to that.

    Here is just one example of articles that have appeared all over the country that counter the argument that public unions are costing tax payers more money than is necessary ABQJOURNAL OPINION/GUEST_COLUMNS: Public Unions Are Not the Problem These articles and counter opinions don't get as much press because they don't fit it in with the rhetoric of the campaigning right-wing. I fault the Democrats for not making more of an issue of these qualified writers, however the case is a very good one.
    more crap-its much harder to fire a public sector employee-even a non union one than someone in the private sector. Public sector unions are often a problem. just ask the Post Office

  6. #106
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    complete crap-the government is required to treat all similarly situated employees equally.
    What? Is it unfair to assign different grades to two students sitting in the same class, reading from the same books and haivng the same teacher? It is not ONLY the duties of the job that should determine pay rates, but the LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE of the job duties that should determine pay rates. It is nonsense to say that only time on the job should determine pay. Pay the best money for the best work, otherwise why bother to work harder than the slowest slob in the room, especailly if you have been there longer?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #107
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,553

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What? Is it unfair to assign different grades to two students sitting in the same class, reading from the same books and haivng the same teacher? It is not ONLY the duties of the job that should determine pay rates, but the LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE of the job duties that should determine pay rates. It is nonsense to say that only time on the job should determine pay. Pay the best money for the best work, otherwise why bother to work harder than the slowest slob in the room, especailly if you have been there longer?
    similarly situated is a term of art that labor attorneys use. I don't disagree with what you say but I am not going to bore you with a bunch of citations to 6th circuit opinions but similarly situated employees generally have to be performing at the same level etc

  8. #108
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Lately we have seen Republican and Democrat (though, oddly, only Republicans make news with it) Governors work to save their states from fiscal ruin by curtailing the Public Unions, either in finances or in power. Have the last two years marked the beginning of the end for the Public Sector Union, and will they go the way of the Private Sector Union?
    Not the end of public unions, but I think we are witnessing the end of inflexible and burdensome public pensions, etc.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #109
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so again why would public sector employees need a union?
    China has growth of over 5 percent.

    We should emulate China which doesn't have any unions, public or private.

  10. #110
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Beginning of the End for Public Unions?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Lately we have seen Republican and Democrat (though, oddly, only Republicans make news with it) Governors work to save their states from fiscal ruin by curtailing the Public Unions, either in finances or in power. Have the last two years marked the beginning of the end for the Public Sector Union, and will they go the way of the Private Sector Union?
    Republicans will find a new scapegoat and then unions will be fine.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •