View Poll Results: On a scale of one to ten, how much does it matter?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 (least important)

    21 32.31%
  • 2

    3 4.62%
  • 3

    3 4.62%
  • 4

    2 3.08%
  • 5

    3 4.62%
  • 6

    3 4.62%
  • 7

    7 10.77%
  • 8

    10 15.38%
  • 9

    3 4.62%
  • 10 (most important)

    10 15.38%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 161

Thread: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

  1. #31
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It's very important to me, and I think it should be to everybody, when one groups freedom is denied, then all of our freedoms can be denied.
    Agreed. SSM as a specific topic is not necessarily the most important issue (though it certainly is for gays who wish to marry), but its treatment is certainly indicative of how a person or group will treat civil liberties in general. An organization that is staunchly against SSM likely won't be for protecting any kind of religious liberty besides their own, for example. It's all part of a bigger ball of wax.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #32
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I've been married for 27 years...still waiting on those benefits. most of what I've seen has been "responsibilities".
    Your wife will get benefits after you're dead. Sleep with one eye open! ;-)
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #33
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Your wife will get benefits after your dead. Sleep with one eye open! ;-)
    yeah, she is always reminding me that I am worth more dead than I am alive.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #34
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Agreed. SSM as a specific topic is not necessarily the most important issue (though it certainly is for gays who wish to marry), but its treatment is certainly indicative of how a person or group will treat civil liberties in general. An organization that is staunchly against SSM likely won't be for protecting any kind of religious liberty besides their own, for example. It's all part of a bigger ball of wax.
    BS. Why was the ERA needed? Why is polygamy not on par with SSM? It is not ALL "rights", like "states rights" that the SSM crew want it is only THEIR rights, and without all that hassle of a constitutional amendment. Trashing the constitution or "bending" it to fit an agenda is taking the rights of ALL for the convenience of a few. Our nine robed umpires are to interpret the rules AS WRITTEN not to make them "as they should have been". Nobody had a problem with states having SSM laws, UNTIL many said NO, now it is SUE for a SSM "right" which is now used to TRUMP a state granted marriage privilege. SSM is not a constitutional right, nor is marraige.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-07-12 at 04:32 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #35
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    it's difficult to think of an issue less important.

  6. #36
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-06-13 @ 02:59 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    272

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    The reason it wasn't addressed directly in the constitution is because they had no conception of homosexuality as we currently understand it, so what they thought is totally irrelevant here. Things have changed since the 1700s in many areas, and this one of them. Our federal government has become so worthless that an amendment is never going to happen, so I'd rather have those "activist judges" doing the right thing, whether under the purview of the 14th or something else. Defending equal rights on basis of sexuality is not a huge leap in logic from doing so on basis of race. The constitution is **** if it can't guarantee equality for all. That's why things like the 14th were added. In any case, stop trying to hide your hate behind that document. It doesn't affect your rights in the least if SSM is legal, and you're seriously deluded if you think so.

    You're also engaging in revisionism by saying no one cared before or we ALL oppose polygamy. It's simply not true, and I could point out no one cared about SSM until they saw an opportunity to take political advantage. That's right, fundamentalists and Republicans made it an issue, not gay rights advocates. This has been on state ballots for a decade and DOMA for 2 decades, and only now is it *really* becoming an issue federally. The only thing that's changed is those voices are no longer shut out quite so much, as public opinion has shifted.

  7. #37
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolv67 View Post
    The reason it wasn't addressed directly in the constitution is because they had no conception of homosexuality as we currently understand it
    False. The reason it wasn’t addressed is the constitution only was designed to spell out the very limited powers granted to the federal government. The only area this is not true is the bill of rights, which were really just an afterthought to make those distrusting of the new pact more comfortable moving away from the articles of confederation.

  8. #38
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    I'd like SSM to be legal everywhere and I want DOMA repealed, but it's one of the least important issues. It's a hot button issue that draws attention away from the big issues.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  9. #39
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolv67 View Post
    The reason it wasn't addressed directly in the constitution is because they had no conception of homosexuality as we currently understand it, so what they thought is totally irrelevant here. Things have changed since the 1700s in many areas, and this one of them. Our federal government has become so worthless that an amendment is never going to happen, so I'd rather have those "activist judges" doing the right thing, whether under the purview of the 14th or something else. Defending equal rights on basis of sexuality is not a huge leap in logic from doing so on basis of race. The constitution is **** if it can't guarantee equality for all. That's why things like the 14th were added. In any case, stop trying to hide your hate behind that document. It doesn't affect your rights in the least if SSM is legal, and you're seriously deluded if you think so.

    You're also engaging in revisionism by saying no one cared before or we ALL oppose polygamy. It's simply not true, and I could point out no one cared about SSM until they saw an opportunity to take political advantage. That's right, fundamentalists and Republicans made it an issue, not gay rights advocates. This has been on state ballots for a decade and DOMA for 2 decades, and only now is it *really* becoming an issue federally. The only thing that's changed is those voices are no longer shut out quite so much, as public opinion has shifted.
    You are taking both sides of the issue, it seems. First you say it is NOT in the constitution, yet should be. Then you say it should be an amendment like the 14th for barring racial discrimination, but poo poo that by saying it could never pass. Then you say the constitution be darned let the "activist judges" end run the need for amendment by saying it is "like" another amendment. You then sum it all up by stating public opinion supports the very thing you say can't pass as an amendment. Now which is it - publically popular or impossible to do?

    Meanwhile, back in reality, marraige is a STATE function, and that is WHY the courts said that DOMA (a federal attempt to STOP SSM) is a no go, NOT because SSM is a constitutional right, but because DOMA violates the constitution, by taking federal powers NOT granted to the federal gov't by the constitution.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-07-12 at 05:40 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #40
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: How important do you consider the issue of gay marriage?

    I am a conservative, but I feel that if gay people want to get married, then let them. I don't care.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •